The player that went away

olyfan63

Reaction score
Fade":3dgoxi9r said:
...At the price he cost the Lions, 5 yrs @ $31M. When the Seahawks had no problem handing money out to bums like Cary Williams, Luke Joeckel, Eddy Lacey, etc.

Letting Tate walk made no sense from a football perspective. His cap number in yr 1 with Detroit was $3.1M. The Seahawks could've easily afforded it. The upcoming draft was loaded with receiving talent though, so they thought they could save money, and fill the position that way. They drafted Paul Richardson.

Fade, thank you for the excellent data point on Tate. This just further confirms that there were other factors in play for Tate's departure. I just though it was because he wasn't tough enough against Percy Harvin, and didn't block Harvin's sucker punch the night before SB48. I mean, Seattle receivers have to be TOUGH. Tate De-Cleating Sean Lee was nice, but insufficient, and when he showed up soft against Harvin, the ending was written right there. Or maybe it was from showing up hard and bringing the wood in another setting. One of the two. I think it may have been the second one.

Sure enjoyed seeing Tate's play while he was here. Seeing him make tacklers miss, a RB at the WR position. Not to mention, every off-season there were threads about how Tate had gotten fat and out of shape and didn't even look like a football player. Then he would ball out that next season and prove the naysayers were full of it.

SeaHawk80

Reaction score
I say Kam and Cliff, just loved both of them. I think Cliff was criminally underrated in his value to the DL.
I thought we lost the Superb Owl as soon as Cliff left the game.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
Fade":15iahmot said:
TwistedHusky":15iahmot said:
I
Letting Tate walk made no sense from a football perspective. His cap number in yr 1 with Detroit was $3.1M. The Seahawks could've easily afforded it. The upcoming draft was loaded with receiving talent though, so they thought they could save money, and fill the position that way. They drafted Paul Richardson.

Too much cap at WR.

Remember they had to eat dead salary from cutting Rice and Harvin had just signed a fat contract. With Baldwin on a cheap contract for a few more years I didn't feel they had to keep Tate either. The bigger priorities were keeping Bennett and Avril

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Joe Jurevicius

I was very sad when Joe was let go.
He was very instrumental in some of the long runs Shaun Alexander had simply by being such a downfield blocker against the 2nd wave of defenders. It seemed to me, following his departure, Shauns running started to decline, it maybe my imagination, but.. well of course, we lost our All-pro guard as well.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
Michael Bennett. Sacks and tackles galore, and was a healthy and reliable starter. I liked his dry sense of humour too.

Still waiting for someone to step up and grab that particular torch.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
Bobblehead":1dzw7xgf said:
Joe Jurevicius

He was very instrumental in some of the long runs Shaun Alexander had simply by being such a downfield blocker against the 2nd wave of defenders. It seemed to me, following his departure, Shauns running started to decline, it maybe my imagination, but.. well of course, we lost our All-pro guard as well.

Way more than 10 years ago

Speaking of white possession receivers, I miss Brandon Stokely

Bobblehead

Reaction score
WestcoastSteve":d2lcwhcq said:
Bobblehead":d2lcwhcq said:
Joe Jurevicius

Way more than 10 years ago

Speaking of white possession receivers, I miss Brandon Stokely

yep, my bad.

Ozzy

Reaction score
This was asked in another way recently and my answer was Sherman. His off the field stuff drove me nuts and he grew tiresome with his antics towards the end but on the field at his best? Sherman was probably the most fun I had watching Seahawks games outside of Wilson. His cockiness just carried over to his teammates and us as fans. Watching him pick Rodgers in the NFCCG was incredible. If I'm factoring in everything I would say Earl/Kam tied.

Rat

Reaction score
I was a ridiculously big Dolphins fan as a kid. Like I even wrote a 6th grade "who's your hero?" essay about Dan Marino while the rest of the class was writing about their parents. In retrospect, I feel like a jerk for that, but I was obsessed.

Anyway, the only thing bigger than my Miami Dolphins obsession was my Ohio State Buckeyes obsession, and I became a Seahawks fan not long after Joey Galloway, my favorite Buckeye ever, was drafted by the team. I was upset with him for his contract holdout (something I am much more understanding about now), but I was hooked on the Seahawks by then. Still, I wish we could have seen how amazing Galloway could have been as a career Seahawk. He was really, really good. In my mind, the two biggest "what if" stories in Seahawks history are Galloway and Koren Robinson. Those two should both be Seattle, if not NFL, legends.

On the flip side, I guess, how much would it suck to be a Dolphins fan right now? They're in the midst of what looks like it could easily be the worst single season for one team in the history of the league. Kind of glad I'm not attached to that right now. I'm already a diehard fan of a hopeless team in both the NBA (Pistons) and MLB (Marlins). I couldn't handle a third franchise like that.

Latest posts