The Next Real Rob(ert Turbin)

mrdaija

Reaction score
I'll be the first to admit that I don't know what makes a FB good but seeing as how well Robert Turbin pass blocks, could he not be a viable run blocker too? I've not heard anyone mention him as a blocking back but he can clearly stone pass rushers and he's built like a tank. What am I missing?

Basis4day

Reaction score
I don't think you're missing anything. Just no indication from the FO that they want him to convert.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
PC/JS don't seem the type to overlook that possibility so maybe he has more trouble identifying his blocking assignments on the move in front of a HB then back in QB protect? Not really sure. There was a thing on ESPN a while ago about HB have a tendency of "blocking space" when they move to FB cause as a HB they are taught and have it ingrained in them to run to space.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Why would you want Turbin to convert to FB? They've already got Coleman and Ware. How many FB's do you want?

OP
OP
mrdaija

mrdaija

Reaction score
jlwaters1":1lujeezi said:
Why would you want Turbin to convert to FB? They've already got Coleman and Ware. How many FB's do you want?

Roster spots are at a premium and I'm not sold on Coleman or Ware yet. I thought of this after Mike Rob was cut but before all the casualties were in.

My real question was why this wouldn't work. and I think BB might be on to something.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
Turbin is a finesse RB in a power back's body. He is adequate at pass blocking but has shown little power as a runner. I don't see any of his skills translating well to FB.

Not meant to be a shot, but take away his biceps and he pretty much epitomizes a 3rd down back. Decent speed, can pass block, and can catch the football. His build fools people into thinking he is a different style of player.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
I'd agree with hoyas to a point but I don't know if I would go as far as to call him a "finesse" back.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
Bbsplitter...finesse was probably a bit over the top on my part. I just get frustrated watching a large human like him constantly going down on ankle tackles. He has really high end potential as a 3rd down guy, which is extremely valuable.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
Youre right some of his runs are so frusterating... It's interesting he can always power ahead if they tackle him high because of his upper body strength, and thats where a lot of people get the idea of him being a bruising back, but you are right he forgets to pick his feet up and because of it doesnt break runs that he should.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
Maybe we should hobble him and teach him to spread his feet. That wide base works wonders for Beast!

jdblack

Reaction score
He made good progress in the last couple of games last year, wider base & was becoming much harder to tackle, but he seems to have regressed this year. :(

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Mtjhoyas":jdnuvl3u said:
Turbin is a finesse RB in a power back's body. He is adequate at pass blocking but has shown little power as a runner. I don't see any of his skills translating well to FB.

Not meant to be a shot, but take away his biceps and he pretty much epitomizes a 3rd down back. Decent speed, can pass block, and can catch the football. His build fools people into thinking he is a different style of player.

Ummm that's far from the truth. Turbin suffered multiple season ending injuries to his legs in college. He did the only training he could do... upper body stuff... and became a lop sided mass of muscle. Turbin's legs are about two years behind the rest of his body. Once they catch up to the Pro Game... Turbin is going to be a very powerful runner.

Also, I'm kind of sad that nobody is thinking outside the box because I think the best candidate isn't an offensive player. Its a defender built like a fuggin tank.

5'11, 240 pound Allen Bradford.

Has a RB background at USC. And he is one bad ass melon farmer as a LBer. Throw it together and you have the ingredients of a dominating lead blocker.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
"suffered multiple season ending injuries to his legs in college"... hey its Christine Michael! Oh wait... CM has powerful legs and was in the same situation. Maybe turbin is slower in recovery, but overly-powerful legs doesnt equal the tendency to have a wide base and high step in traffic. It's not all about the muscle in his legs its about his running tendencies and habits as well.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
Turbin is more likely to straight punk a guy and shed the tackle, rather than initiate contact. Which is what I love about him. In the passing game he's very dynamic in open space and can break tackles for big gains (not to mention he makes it look pretty easy at times). He's probably full aware that he needs to take more contact and pound for short yards, especially after seeing what Christine Michael brings to the table in that department.

I still see Turbin having another good year demonstrating his value, thus proving to PC&JS that he's the guy they need as a change of pace back.

C-Dub

Reaction score
I was expecting a very different OP. I was hoping that we'd get another YouTube channel (courtesy of the SeaHulk) with inside access to players.

JerHawk81

Reaction score
Lead blocking and pass blocking are pretty different skills. Pass blocking is about balance, hands, footwork and the ability to be hit. Run blocking is about vision, momentum, angles and the ability to hit.

Come to think of it, I remember Mac Strong being a sub-par pass blocker..

sc85sis

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":3u083d2t said:
Mtjhoyas":3u083d2t said:

Ummm that's far from the truth. Turbin suffered multiple season ending injuries to his legs in college. He did the only training he could do... upper body stuff... and became a lop sided mass of muscle. Turbin's legs are about two years behind the rest of his body. Once they catch up to the Pro Game... Turbin is going to be a very powerful runner.

Also, I'm kind of sad that nobody is thinking outside the box because I think the best candidate isn't an offensive player. Its a defender built like a fuggin tank.

Has a RB background at USC. And he is one bad ass melon farmer as a LBer. Throw it together and you have the ingredients of a dominating lead blocker.
I think that ship has sailed. Allen really prefers defense and has spent the last year-plus re-learning how to play LB.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
sc85sis":2b8sedi7 said:
Pandion Haliaetus":2b8sedi7 said:
Mtjhoyas":2b8sedi7 said:

I think that ship has sailed. Allen really prefers defense and has spent the last year-plus re-learning how to play LB.

I don't think any ship has sailed. Right now Bradford is behind a very talented Wagner. You think he's going to turn down the opportunity to be on field if Carroll came up to Bradford and said we are going to put you in at FB, we want you to blow up the SAM.

Bradford isn't going to say no... he's going to go knock that SAM out.

And just bc someone is a LBer doesn't mean he can't take some snaps at FB. It also doesn't mean what I speak has substance but the Seahawks roster are filled wiih versatile players and imo Bradford would make a better run blocking FB than Ware or Coleman at this point.

Doesn't mean its going to happen but it could be possible and it would make sense, at least to me.

Latest posts