The Leo position and undersized LBs

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":1uzx7bex said:
Pete's way of getting the best athletes on the field.
Exactly.

As for the run D needing to improve this year, I disagree. I don't want it to get worse or anything, but this is a team that averaged over 30 points a game the last half of the year. That means pass rush vs teams trying to keep up.

Would I like a better run D? Sure. But it isn't vital.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1w2kdkss said:

Well, you're gonna get a better run D, regardless. ;) Red Bryant's foot is healthy AND he's got sleep apnea he didn't even know he had being taken care of which has reportedly increased his stamina considerably. He's going to have a monster year.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Scottemojo":cm3hglsv said:
Tech Worlds":cm3hglsv said:
Exactly.

As for the run D needing to improve this year, I disagree. I don't want it to get worse or anything, but this is a team that averaged over 30 points a game the last half of the year. That means pass rush vs teams trying to keep up.

I think it will be though with Red Bryant back to full strength and hopefully a better rotation to keep Mebane fresh. It seams he wears down as the year goes on and isn't the force we see early in the year.

ChrisB Bacon

Reaction score
Makes me wonder if Pete's taking a good look at UW's Josh Shirley. Shirley plays rush end in Wilcox's system at a light 230lb, but is lightening quick and would be a great fit at LEO in Seattle.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":1wweuifp said:
Scottemojo":1wweuifp said:
Tech Worlds":1wweuifp said:
Exactly.

I think it will be though with Red Bryant back to full strength and hopefully a better rotation to keep Mebane fresh. It seams he wears down as the year goes on and isn't the force we see early in the year.
Bane doesn't need to weigh 330 like Red doesn't need to weigh 340. If both would play at around 320 that would be just about right.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
As for the undersized LB and Leo subject, it appears as thought ultimate goal is to truly become a hybrid defense and not be limited in any fashion.

Nothing is set yet, but I think to an extent....it's probably part of the plan. Be water, my friend.

[youtube]jwR7mgbyiqw[/youtube]

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
kearly":1jcdmway said:
Last season, Chris Clemons was our LEO and had a playing weight between 255-260 pounds. Bruce Irvin was 245, and showed signs of not being big enough. Raheem Brock played at 274.

Seattle is making the SAM position and LEO position somewhat interchangeable this season, almost like 3-4 OLB. But even in that arrangement, Bruce Irvin is committed to play linebacker and isn't even expected to be a pure pass-rusher. So you would think that Seattle would still be targeting pass rushers that were 250+ pounds.

Instead, they've moved Malcolm Smith into competition for the SAM job, which basically makes him sort of like a part-time LEO. And according to Seahawks.com, the team is also trying out LB Mike Morgan to LEO. Mike Morgan and Malcolm Smith are both listed at just 226 pounds, which would make them among the very lightest linebackers in the NFL, and mind-blowingly lightweight for a potential 3-point stance pass rusher. Even 2012 Bruce Irvin had 20 pounds on these guys!

Given Pete's track record, the crazier the idea, the less we should doubt his wisdom. I don't know if Pete is making a mistake or in the midst of a stroke of genius. What I do know is this- the LEO and SAM positions are nothing like what they used to be.

I am highly intrigued to see how Pete uses a 226 pound rush end. I think it's very interesting that out of all the linebackers Pete could choose for this kind of role, he picked the two most undersized ones. He wouldn't do something like that randomly. He's got something interesting up his sleeve here.

(edit: Just saw that Morgan is up to 241 pounds. So it's not quite as crazy as I thought.)

Right now half guessing, half following along players weight gain.

Bruce Irvin went from 245-250 to 255 to 260. +10-15 Pounds (This was back in Spring, so I'll assume he'll be around 260 when he becomes active)

Mike Morgan went from 226 to 241. +15 Pounds (I knew Morgan was gaining weight, just didn't know how much until Carroll confirmed it. I say its possible that Morgan can top out at 245 and keep 4.5-4.6 speed. Was 4.46 in the 40 at 226. What I like about Morgan is he possesses the length and long-arms (6'3", 34 5/8 inch arms) like K.J. Wright (6'3", 34 7/8 inch arms) but Morgan is not only considerably faster but slightly more explosive as an athlete and probably much stronger. With added weight, Morgan could be a force.

I know Malcolm Smith right now is the SLB but I feel that Schofield will compete and win the role. I don't know much about Scho but I feel he is a gamer. He's 6-2, and reportedly around 240. However, PC said something like Schofield weighing 250-255. So I'll say 245 seems like a logical guess.

Talking about Malcolm Smith, no way he is still 226, imo he isn't going to win a full time gig at sub 230 especially as a SAM/LEO. My bet he is around 235. Also, I think it was important for Smith to bulk up some, he isn't going to be a natural arm tackler. He has to use his speed and tackle more with his body. Adding mass likely helps Smith's case to be on the field more.

Just thoughts... Quinn's defense definitely looks interesting and seemingly exciting.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
We have sucked at the 3 tech since before Pete arrived and last year signing Jones was an attempt to fix that but he couldn't stay healthy. When healthy he made a huge difference in rush defense as well as pass rush, both on his own and taking up extra blockers to free up others. Micheal Bennett is reportedly an upgrade over Jones and has a much better injury history. If he is as advertised we may see an upgrade from even when Jones was healthy last year. That could also go a long ways in helping big Red and Mebane stay healthy and fresh.

Seafan

Reaction score
Another reason for the decline in rush defense is using a rookie at MLB. I expect that to be a huge difference this season. Wagner, like Hawthorne before him when he was young, was vulnerable due to over zealousness and occasionally lacked gap discipline. Norton will see that this doesn't continue. I fully expect with the return to health of Red and other changes Quinn has brought to the line and Wagner's maturity the Hawks will once again be solid run defenders.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
vin.couve12":3ienpxft said:
Tech Worlds":3ienpxft said:
Scottemojo":3ienpxft said:
Tech Worlds said:
Exactly.

Bane doesn't need to weigh 330 like Red doesn't need to weigh 340. If both would play at around 320 that would be just about right.

Mebane doesn't weigh 330 lbs.