The last 30-35 yards

Wartooth

Reaction score
Well, here's the answer...
Just have him strap these babies on when they're in the redzone...
Problem solved!
1120.jpg

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2npdflbk said:
It's sick? Because I see him as a damn good QB. His height doesn't take away from him being one of the best. :roll:

Yes, it does.

And then he works around it and arrives back at a place similar to where he'd be without the height issue.

This isn't hard, man.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Anthony!":1dibpilo said:
hawkfan68":1dibpilo said:
Seymour":1dibpilo said:
hawkfan68":1dibpilo said:
Great point. I agree with this. Why has adjustments not been made to be more effective in the redzone? It comes down to play-calling and execution of the plays. If the players are not executing the plays well, shouldn't you change or put in plays that they are executing better? It's ridiculous how many times the Seahawks have a 1st and goal within 5 yd line and come away with only 3 points. It's not against stellar defenses either. That's unacceptable in my mind. It's definitely not a characteristic of a "good redzone offense". Good redzone offenses score TDs majority of the time. The Seahawks score TDs in the redzone 47% of the time they were in the redzone. That's terrible and needs immediate improvement. It's been consistent problem with this personnel and coaching staff over the past few years.

I do agree with this, but in looking up some past stats I came across an interesting fact. Guess who was #2 in redzone TD % for 2016??

2-14 49ers at 68% (#1 was 9-7 Titans)

Ya still gotta get there to score.

47% is bad, but still #25 in the league. In 2015 we were 55%. That was good enough for #16 in the league and 1 in front of the Packers. So I say mostly just last season.

Absolutely. Good point. However, last season the Seahawks were in the top 10 (#8) in the NFL for redzone attempts. They were getting there but not efficient in capitalizing on scoring TDs. Going from #8 in redzone attempts to #25 in redzone scoring % is pretty bad. Last season that was the difference in being able to host a division or conference championship game. Had they been little more consistent, they could have done that.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/red-zone-scoring-attempts-per-game

Agreed but how much of that was Rw being injured and not as big a threat as he could be and also having little to no run game

Acknowledged that RW was injured last season. I'm not placing the blame on RW. The blame lies with the coaching startegy, IMO. They didn't adjust to help the players out in those situations. When they did have a pretty good redzone percentage was in 2013/14 seasons where they were using Lynch or Wilson more. Since SB49, they have gotten away from that and are trying to throw it more. That has led to the decreased efficiency in the redzone.

What's ironic is that they are less conservative in play calling within the 5 yard line and become pass first vs. run first. For someone who preaches power football, like PC does, it makes little sense.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Our redzone will be better this year and here's why. Wilson is back at being a threat at running. Just that fact and having him run a read option by the endzone will create better passing opportunities. We have some RB's that look like they can run through the dark creases.

Anthony!

Reaction score
hawkfan68":lfodczz8 said:
Anthony!":lfodczz8 said:
hawkfan68":lfodczz8 said:
Seymour":lfodczz8 said:
I do agree with this, but in looking up some past stats I came across an interesting fact. Guess who was #2 in redzone TD % for 2016??

2-14 49ers at 68% (#1 was 9-7 Titans)

Ya still gotta get there to score.

47% is bad, but still #25 in the league. In 2015 we were 55%. That was good enough for #16 in the league and 1 in front of the Packers. So I say mostly just last season.

Absolutely. Good point. However, last season the Seahawks were in the top 10 (#8) in the NFL for redzone attempts. They were getting there but not efficient in capitalizing on scoring TDs. Going from #8 in redzone attempts to #25 in redzone scoring % is pretty bad. Last season that was the difference in being able to host a division or conference championship game. Had they been little more consistent, they could have done that.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/red-zone-scoring-attempts-per-game

Agreed but how much of that was Rw being injured and not as big a threat as he could be and also having little to no run game

Acknowledged that RW was injured last season. I'm not placing the blame on RW. The blame lies with the coaching startegy, IMO. They didn't adjust to help the players out in those situations. When they did have a pretty good redzone percentage was in 2013/14 seasons where they were using Lynch or Wilson more. Since SB49, they have gotten away from that and are trying to throw it more. That has led to the decreased efficiency in the redzone.

What's ironic is that they are less conservative in play calling within the 5 yard line and become pass first vs. run first. For someone who preaches power football, like PC does, it makes little sense.

Actually, our best RZ scoring % was 2015 when Rw was throwing more

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/r ... 2017-02-06

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
A healthy Russ, consistent offensive line play and a dependable running game. That's the key to red zone efficiency. Play calling and game planning still put our players in advantageous positions to score. Just ask Doug.

And kicking field goals aren't exciting, sure, but with our defense, they've helped us win close to 70% of our games in the Russell era. It's the no-risk if we can help it philosophy that Pete stands behind.

But as I said, the true particulars in making our red zone success rate respectable again are looking pretty decent.

mrt144

Reaction score
Anthony!":3a7oulh5 said:

Good Question, the Seahawks since 2012 have been average in red zone TD% compared to the rest of the league while having a similar profile in all but 2015 in attempts and 2016 in %.

Year - Rank - Attempts Per Game - Rank - TD% in RZ - Expected RZ TDs Per Season (expect rounding errors cause lord knows how I wound up with non whole integers when extrapolating the total RZ Drive Attempts by taking attempts and multiplying across 16 games. Adding in playoffs games did not help this at all. If anyone can find actual totals of RZ TDs, that'd be cool)

2012 5 - 3.6 - 16 - 53.8% - 30.998
2013 11 - 3.4 - 14 - 53.2% - 28.94
2014 - 9 - 3.7 - 20 - 51.52% - 30.49
2015 - 18 - 3.0 - 16 - 55.5% - 26.64
2016 - 8 - 3.5 - 25 47.62% - 26.66

I raise this point for three reasons -

1 - Using ranks tells us little in itself - the characteristics that allow us to sort for ranks have remained relatively constant.
2 - The % is relatively consistent as are attempts from 2012-2014. But we see 2015 and 2016 dip.
3 - Having higher volume of attempts compensates for lower TD% in aggregate which allows this relative underperformance to hide in plain sight. 2015 was doing better with less opportunities and 2016 was doing worse with more.

We can also look at RW himself

To that I turn to pro football reference:
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... assing.htm

Right off the bat, looking across all years, I can tell you that RW never ranked higher than 10th on total TDs. Okay, so that isn't a shock but lets get into the nitty gritty of how RW influences that RZ drive TD % number:

Year - RZ Attempts - RZ Completion % - RZ TD/Attempt

2012 - 59 - 55.74% - 30.5%
2013 - 53 - 42.86% - 33.9%
2014 - 57 - 45. 15% - 22.8%
2015 - 53 - 49.15% - 30.1%
2016 - 69 - 40.54% - 21.73%

Inside 10 Attempts - Inside 10 Completion % - Inside 10 TD/Attempt

2012 - 20 - 52.38% - 45%
2013 - 22 - 44.4% - 22.72%
2014 - 21 - 41.67% - 17.6% (Funny coincidence that this year of all years was lowest and also when we shat the bed with a pass in an under 10 yard scenario in the RZ. Funny)
2015 - 24 - 36% - 37.5%
2016 - 24 - 38.46% - 37.5%

Again, nothing here is suggesting that 2015 or 2016 were huge outliers in performance for RW's average over his career in these situations.

Now I'll run a comp with Drew Brees based on the following factors:
1. Is allegedly only 2 inches taller than RW
2. JFG has played with both QBs
3. Hes always at the top of the table, bar 2015, on page refreshes and makes him easy to find since it auto sorts by TD total
4. New Orleans is consistently is 60% or better in RZ TD% bar 2013 when it was 55.5%

Year - RZ Attempts - RZ Completion % - RZ TD/Attempt

2012 - 96 - 61.22% - 32.2%
2013 - 85 - 55.91% - 25.88%
2014 - 83 - 62.49% - 30.1%
2015 - 68 - 60.27% - 27.9%
2016 - 107 - 65.49% - 26.1%

Year - Inside 10 Attempts - Inside 10% - RZ TD/ Attempt

2012 - 54 - 58.93% - 42.59%
2013 - 35 - 50% - 40%
2014 - 34 - 61.11% - 47.05%
2015 - 24 - 48% - 41.667%
2016 - 51 - 67.35% - 40.74%

What I see in Drew Brees is bit less than twice the passing utilization in the red zone, variance inside the 10 on attempts, a depressed completion percentage relative to his career and a very consistent TD/Att % inside the 10 and the RZ.

We see a divergence between the two in terms of TD/Att and Completion % between both QBs inside the 10. Check out the RZ TD/Att. They aren't identical but they are neighbors on the same block. The total attempts are a given, we already can explain this in strategy, schematic differences and team composition. Brees is simply a prime mover of the offense period. But when you start comparing the value of those attempts it's clear to me anyway, that Brees>Wilson inside the 10.

Now is this a fair Apples to Apples comparison given where Brees is in his career arc? No, it's not. But the way that RW and Brees are similar QBs is their in their accuracy as passers in general and relative diminutive stature (as the argument I'm trying to shit on goes). Here's the wild thing though - those 5 years I selected for Brees were in fact the worst 5 year span in Comp%. His TD/Att hovered around 25% in the RZ and around 37.5% inside the 10 going back to 2007. 2006 he was way off from his career, huge outlier of a year. 2003 was also a bad year relative to his career average. But that pre 2006 era he had way lower utlization rates within the RZ similar to what RW has. I am digressing here.

The point is, it is hard for me to fathom that RW's height is THE factor in the red zone.

1. He doesn't get a ton of opportunities relative to other QBs thus heightening their seeming importance in the equation when the opposite should be the takeaway. He has less influence on RZ success than Drew Brees as the example shows. Drew Brees getting the lionshare isn't a coincidence either, it fits with his abilities outside of the RZ. Why would you go away from that?

2. So if RW is only getting around 60% of the RZ as Brees and a solid 20 something-per-season inside 10 attempts what the hell is happening on those other plays where he isn't passing or rushing? They are there.

3. We have no schematic divergence to compare against with a different OC. Anyone want to tell me how many different OCs Brees has had? If RW exhibits similar underperformance to himself situationally with a different OC we could start to see if it's a limitation of the RW himself, but we don't have that, we only have speculative arguments that his height is an impenetrable roadblock to RZ succes.

Which leads me to a conclusion on RW:

Bevell is the one who needs to crack the code here. Even if this a RW problem with height, I'll entertain that prop just for this point, even if this a RW problem, Bevell is literally the only one with any ability to do anything about it. If it truly is physical limitation then he has to start thinking of ways to better instead of just telling RW to do better.

If this is reflected in RW's utilization rates in the RZ and inside the 10, then the running game needs to pick up the load here.

Want to dig into that? Let's.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... ushing.htm

Edit: This is a huge pain in the ass, honestly. Even when exporting to excel it is mind numbing. And then trying to pull back out of excel what was put in so you guys can read it? Screw it. I'm gonna post brief summaries.

2016: Everyone sucked in the red zone getting less than 2 yards per carry. Every single back. Christine Michael was the best in terms of TD output but...well.. umm... there were a total of 9 TDs inside the red zone and he got 5 of them and he wasn't even on our team at the end of the season. Everyone else? Worse.

2015: Marshawn was the most utilized and the least effective in the RZ. Rawls led RBs with 2.81 YPC and had tied with Marshawn for 3 TDs. RW had 5.7 YPC and 1 TD. Marshawn was injured as well as Rawls.

2014: Lynch gets 2.53 YPC but had 12 TDs, RW had over 4 YPC and 5 TDs. Turbin got 3 YPC and 0 TDs.

2013: Lynch gets 2.35 YPC and had 12 TDs as well this year, RW with over 4 YPC, and 1 TD, nobody else worth mentioning.

2012: Lynch gets 2.68 YPC and 7 TDs, RW with over 4 YPC and 2 TDs, and Turbo got over 3 YPC.

Okay...well then.

But lets go deeper

From the 5.

Total TDs since YPC isn't going to be very meaningful or varried here. What am I seeking here? Information about our OL and RBs by distinace. Is it wrong to believe that OL play has a critical impact on short yardage TDs. It's hard to assign credit without looking at tape. But lets take a look anyway

2012: 6/16
2013: 10/14
2014: 7/20
2015: 7/10
2016:7/13

How about from between the 5 and the 10

2012: 0/16
2013: 1/14
2014: 8/20 (Russ had 4 from 5-10 yards, Marshawn also with 4!)
2015: 2/10
2016: 2/13

Okay, and now 10 to 20

2012: 4/16
2013: 4/14
2014: 2/20
2015: 1/10
2016: 0/10

So in doing this dive I had a few thoughts crop up:

1. Marshawn Lynch was invaluable in the RZ. He took over 60% of red zone snaps from 2012-2014. He didn't get over 3 YPC but he did score, a lot.

2. RW was ALSO invaluable rushing in the RZ. Over 4 YPC from 2012-2014.

3. 2015 is when it started unravelling. TDs drop off a cliff from the previous high water mark. Injuries to both Marshawn and Rawls played a factor here. RW's rushing did not factor in points unlike his 2014 season. But he also had a great passing season in the back stretch.

4. 2016 is what happens when nobody is healthy at RB.

5. The one thing that remains relatively consistent is 5 Yards or Less TDs never dips below 7. I can imagine a floor like this across many teams though where most rushing TDs most years come from 5 yards or less, no duh, right? Makes me wonder how much valuable information you can glean from stats that are relatively rare instances. It would be exhausting to go over tape for 70 TDs in the RZ over 5 years though.

6. Maybe the OL's transitions from 2014 to 2016 was less drastic in red zone running than the backs themselves being injured or bad.

Okay, lets move to the last aspect I can squeeze out of pro football reference, Red Zone Receiving:

So for shits and giggles I made Jimmy Graham an Honorary Seahawk from 2012-2014 to see what people are talking about when they say Bevell is misusing Jimmy. See if there's a case to be made there.

2012: Honorary Seahawk Jimmy Graham scored on 43% of his targets and would have led the Seahawks in targets in the RZ. Sidney Rice and Golden Tate were next in line with 14 and 12 targets respectively and each with 4 TDs. Baldwin, Miller, Robinson McCoy all hauled in 2 TDs with Lynch having one. Tate led in Catch % among him, Rice and Graham with 75% while Miller had 83.33% catch rate. Inside the 10, Jimmy had 4 TDs on 11 Targets. The intresting thing to note is Jimmy was targeted as a % by Brees by less than Rice was by Rice. Higher Volume but that TD per Target at 43% is unmatched.

2013: Honorary Seahawk Jimmy Graham leads again in targets, this time at 25 compared to Kearse and Miller at 10 each and Baldwin and Tate at 8 each. Graham once again hauls in a 44% TD per Target rate but was surpassed in that regard by Miller and Baldwin each with 50%. Kearse had 10% TD per target rate while Tate had 37.5%. Is it uncanny that Jimmy had less than 100 basis points difference in these two seasons despite an increase in volume and team target % up to 29.1%? Maybe.

2014. Once again Honorary Seahawk Jimmy Graham leads the team with 21 targets and 9 TDs good for 42% TD per Target rate. It's so consistent no matter the volume. All but 3 catchers were TD so he had a 57% catch rate. Baldwin 12 Targets with 2 TDs, Lynch had 10 targets with 4 TDs, Kearse with 8 targets and 1 TD but most astonishingly (that's sarcasm folks) his only catch was THAT TD. Yes. 12.5% catch rate. Helfest, Richards, Turbin, Moeaki, Coleman all round out the rest of the TDs. Helfet had a sub 50% catch rate as well.

2015: Jimmy is no longer honorary but is indeed a true Seahawk. Baldwin leads with 15 Targets and 5 TDs and Kearse Follows with 9 Targets for 3 TDs. Both posted above 60% with Kearse leading in catch rate among all WRs 67% in the RZ Bar Lockett who was only targeted twice for 1 TD and 1 catch. Where's Jimmy? 3rd in RZ Targets with a catch rate of 37.5%. New team and then a season injury, sure, that mitigates it a bit but after having 3 sticky seasons around 50% he not only loses volume of targets in the offense he doesn't get as many catches. Yes, he played 11 games but let me tell you how many TDs he had. 1. ONE!!! Okay, so lets just put that behind us and chalk it up to integration issues.

2016: Jimmy is a marvel of modern medical science and takes the field again. This time he leads the team in RZ targets but still posts a sub 50% catch rate. Baldwin is the TD king with Jimmy 2nd and Like Willson 3rd. Jimmy's team target rate is closer to his days in NOs but his TD and Catch rate are nowhere near it. Kearse is 3rd in targets but posts a laughably bad, i mean laughably bad 7.14% catch rate. Richard snags half is 4 targets and puts up 1 TD, spiller was good for making one of his 3 targets and only catch a TD, Wilson went 2 for 2 with 2 TDs and Wilson, that sly fox, caught his only target for a TD.

Thoughts:

Jimmy Graham is not being used the same as he was in NO. The volume is down yes, but the catch rates and TD rates are also down even though in this past season he was targeted closer in line with his NO days. Watching tape and comparing the routes, timing, throws, etc etc would probably cinch it but to me it is inarguable that JFG in NO is not the same JFG here. Yes, there was the season ending injury and yes, comebacks take time but man alive...I want honorary Seahawk Jimmy not actual Jimmy.

Also of note - Kearse only had a good 2015 in the RZ. He didn't get any targets there in 2012 being a rookie and all but his 2nd season, and a 50% catch rate in the RZ, he only posted one TD on a team leading 10 targets, tied with Zach MIller. His 3rd season in 2014 was a RZ disaster only eclipsed by his 2016 season. Golden Tate has more TD in the RZ from RW as a Seahawk than Jermaine Kearse does in 5 years with RW. Think about that for a moment. A dude who only played with RW for two years, has more TDs in the RZ than a player who has been top 3 in targets in the RZ among WRs and TEs for 4 years running.

I already had some convictions about this before going into it but I really am convinced Kearse is deadweight as a focal point of RZ point production. Whatever good he brings to the team has to be balanced by his mostly absent connect to RW in the RZ despite heavy effort to make it happen. Another conviction I had coming into this was Jimmy was not Jimmy here. Even accounting for the injuries and recovery, it is obvious he isn't even sniffing peak Jimmy as a RZ weapon. Yes, the targets are up, he is getting a lionshare of targets but the TDs aren't happening.

Secondly, how much more obvious is it that Doug Baldwin is on his own trajectory with Wilson. Whatever Bevell, Wilson and Baldwin are doing, they are doing it right. 2014 was weird with Baldwin only hauling in 2 TDs but he still retained a highly respectable 67% Catch rate on targets.

Lastly, Lockett and Richardson both have been mostly absent at all in the RZ. If you asked some of us if Baldwin, Graham, and Kearse with ML in the backfield were enough to make things happen in the RZ, you'd probably get a majority response of yes. But it is concerning to some extent that nobody has stepped up to replace Kearse's dead weight the past two seasons. Thre were injuries, yes, that happens, but I am concerned that a lack of depth at WR and RB are going to hamstring maxining out our opportunities on the field. If the team is forced to rely on Kearse as a top 3 RZ target I don't have high hopes for our RZ passing offense.

Overall thoughts:

1. I do believe that personnel has affected our RZ TD rates. Specifically our flux at RB the past 2 seasons has been very difficult. Rawls and Prosise have provided some great highlights but their health concerns are hurting the bottom line in the run game. Christine Michael being our TD leader last season is the most obvious sign of this. Is this incumbent on PCJS to do a better job in selecting talent that can stay healthy? Sure. It's part of why I like Chris Carson - he seems like a big tough dude. It's also why I like the Lacy signing - if he and Carson can get us a base of 7 TDs combined within 5 yards by doing the damn thing and punching it in, that would be good. If all our other backs can combine for 2 to 3 TDs outside of that distance it's gonna be an exciting season.

2. RW is not the fundamental problem in the RZ. He is not Drew Brees though. It is hard for me to buy that in spite of his overall greatness it all comes down to height. In the season where he took the team on his back in the last half of 2015, it didn't outweigh the anemic RZ run game present throughout. I imagine that's why the lower RZ attempts per game had a higher TD% - RW was carrying the team through it.

3. Bevell is screwed with the RB sitaution and there isn't much he can do about it but s help me, Jermaine Kearse is an obvious albatross in the RZ and this is something that Bevell, RW and Kearse either need to figure out or stop it now - I allow for the possibility that RW is given allowance to select Kearse in his progressions and sometimes he's the guy and it just doesn't happen, fine. Throw that shit out when you're in the RZ. Do not rely on Kearse as a focal point. In 4 seasons Kearse and RW have proved an unreliable hookup for points in the RZ. 4 Seasons and Golden Tate is out produced Kearse. This might be some bitter medicine for RW to swallow be he needs to be actively told to not rely on Kearse in the RZ to the point that Bevell should not put him on the field in the RZ. That's the conclusion I've come to from this.

Who do we put out there then? Luke Willson where JFG would be, JFG where Kearse would be. If it was a 2 TE set, Put Vannett out there and give him some experience. Done deal. Honestly, what does he have to lose in trying stuff like this out in the face of blithely allowing RW to miss Jermaine over and over and over again. It boggles the mind that a guy who helped ADB become the dude he is also has allowed Kearse to fester.

This might in fact be easier to pull off than recursively changing how he appraoches play design, play calling, or anything of the myriad things an OC might do to maximize his player's output. It will really frustrate me if Kearse turns in another turd of a season and none of our young WRs step up to make him expendable. Injuries have stood in the way of that a bit more than Bevell himself but not by much.

I didn't even touch the O line's follies but suffice to say, they've never been more than average even when great at run blocking. Their run blocking combined with the RB flux last year combined with RW's injuries was a perfect storm of suck but honestly if we assume a static below average O line year over year and measure our RBs and RW against that, the Hawks need to hit on an RB whether that's Lacy, Rawls, Carson, Prosise this season so that the marginal value the OL adds is maximized by the back's latent talent. Last years line wouldn't have helped Zeke get those guady rookie stats and none of our backs were close to the availability of Zeke.

And now my wife beckons.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
I have to give credit where credit is due: Good thorough analysis mrt.

I do think Jimmy will play a more dominant role as a red zone receiver this year for 2 primary reasons: 1) He's back to full health, which is huge. I give him tons of credit for toughing it out last season and we got about all we could out of him. And 2), with Russ also back to full health and read option on the table again, Jimmy won't have to offer additional blocking protection as frequently as he did a year ago when Russ was getting sacked right and left. This holds especially true if our line becomes consistent in pass protection and run blocking.

The line also just needs to play smarter. Too many false starts or holding calls in the red zone really sabotaged us. We get in those 3rd and 12 situations, with our risk-adverse principles established by Pete, and it's not shocking that we have to settle for a field goal, which impacts us negatively in red zone efficiency stats. But our defense protects our points like no other team in the league, so a few field goals go a long ways.

I think Kearse realizes he needs a big season ahead, so it will be interesting to see how he responds. Kasen Williams is really vying for that role, so if Kearse doesn't produce, expect a change.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He has been working around it his entire career. He's not gonna' get any taller. But he will continue to be one of the best in football. Backyard football, love it.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
mrt144":21nbwlxb said:
Good Question, the Seahawks since 2012 have been average in red zone TD% compared to the rest of the league while having a similar profile in all but 2015 in attempts and 2016 in %....

Wow, that's brilliant analysis! Thanks, MRT, for your hard work.

Did anyone say that RW's inability to convert in the RZ is entirely down to height? I don't think so. Now, it very well may have a small effect, but he is also not Drew Brees (yet, though he's on his way). There's no QB I'd rather have lead the Hawks right now in the league.

I contend that Pete's reticence to gamble and (since SB49 especially) to throw into crowded spaces means JG will get less passes than we wish, and less than in Nawlins. Bevell is running PC's offense, not his own. We can curse all we want, but it should go to the top, not stop at OC only.

Until PC removes the shackles, our RZ offense will probably not satisfy most fans. We''ll continue to settle for FGs and then live with the high pulse-rate that results from much closer games as we trust our D to bend but not break.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
hawkfan68":t0jcvktu said:
mrt144":t0jcvktu said:
mikeak":t0jcvktu said:
Anthony!":t0jcvktu said:
I disagree if height was a big as issue as Huey and Duey are making it then tall QBs would be better, and short QBs would struggle but short QBs are good and bad as are big Qbs. IN other words height appears to not be a deliminator in the RZ since there are big and small QBs who are good and struggle. Now if most Big QBs were great and most little QBs were bad then maybe but since that is not the case the Height issue is a non issue. OR another way to think of it is, there is no evidence to support it is an issue, and some to say it is not

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correlati ... _causation

With that said lets be clear - I am NC State alumni, I have watched RW since before most people on this board - heck I watched them "all" Tory Holt, Philip Rivers, Koren Robinson, Mario Williams and many many more. I am a big fan of RW and I think he can be very very good in the redzone with the right playcalling opening up option to run, pass or RB scoring. I think the team is playing way to predictable and conservative in the redzone and that is the main reason for why we are not scoring enough.

I still think being short in the redzone is a negative - that is being called not mutually exclusive.........

The thing that bugs me about any height related concerns at this point though is that Bevell has RW for 5 years and hasn't figured it out fully. It's not like Bevell is having RW foisted on him out of the blue and he has to recursively edit the playbook. He can design and call shit with all the variables of his players known and yet we're still borderline seeing the Hawks slam their dick in the door in the RZ.

I may be way harsh on Bevell and take generous liberties in chiding him, but this is one that I can't back down on - if you have a player in your stead for that amount of time, the limiting factors of their play should be recognized and compensated for, especially if it is super situational football where they are falling short of their otherwise stellar performance.

Great point. I agree with this. Why have adjustments not been made to be more effective in the redzone? It comes down to play-calling and execution of the plays. If the players are not executing the plays well, shouldn't you change or put in plays that they are executing better? It's ridiculous how many times the Seahawks have a 1st and goal within 5 yd line and come away with only 3 points. It's not against stellar defenses either. That's unacceptable in my mind. It's definitely not a characteristic of a "good redzone offense". Good redzone offenses score TDs majority of the time. Last season the Seahawks scored TDs in the redzone about 47% of the time they were in the redzone. That's terrible and needs immediate improvement. It's been consistent problem with this personnel and coaching staff over the past few years.

Agreed. That said, RW's inability to easily see over the line is likely a contributing factor. As he slows down and loses his some of his scramble ability it might become even more of a factor.

Time will tell.

scrummymustard

Reaction score
mrt144":3bxc9rfx said:
Anthony!":3bxc9rfx said:
Who do we put out there then? Luke Willson where JFG would be, JFG where Kearse would be. If it was a 2 TE set, Put Vannett out there and give him some experience. Done deal. Honestly, what does he have to lose in trying stuff like this out in the face of blithely allowing RW to miss Jermaine over and over and over again. It boggles the mind that a guy who helped ADB become the dude he is also has allowed Kearse to fester.

This might in fact be easier to pull off than recursively changing how he appraoches play design, play calling, or anything of the myriad things an OC might do to maximize his player's output. It will really frustrate me if Kearse turns in another turd of a season and none of our young WRs step up to make him expendable. Injuries have stood in the way of that a bit more than Bevell himself but not by much.

And now my wife beckons.

Absolutely fantastic write up.

I have been thinking this for 2 years. Strictly inside the RZ, put JFG in Kearse's role and he scores double digit TDs. There is no reason for him to be pass blocking inside the RZ, Willson or Vannett can do that. Let's put JFG in the best position for him and us to succeed, and that is getting Kearse off the field inside the RZ. There isn't a single route that Kearse runs that Graham can't. It seems like we are doing that, at least in the week 3 preseason vs KC, where Graham was outside a lot in the RZ.

Anthony!

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":21s9gyem said:
He has been working around it his entire career. He's not gonna' get any taller. But he will continue to be one of the best in football. Backyard football, love it.

LOL there is no proof we have been working around anything and plenty that says it has not been an issue

Anthony!

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":1ypqvvbr said:
mrt144":1ypqvvbr said:
Good Question, the Seahawks since 2012 have been average in red zone TD% compared to the rest of the league while having a similar profile in all but 2015 in attempts and 2016 in %....

Wow, that's brilliant analysis! Thanks, MRT, for your hard work.

Did anyone say that RW's inability to convert in the RZ is entirely down to height? I don't think so. Now, it very well may have a small effect, but he is also not Drew Brees (yet, though he's on his way). There's no QB I'd rather have lead the Hawks right now in the league.

I contend that Pete's reticence to gamble and (since SB49 especially) to throw into crowded spaces means JG will get less passes than we wish, and less than in Nawlins. Bevell is running PC's offense, not his own. We can curse all we want, but it should go to the top, not stop at OC only.

Until PC removes the shackles, our RZ offense will probably not satisfy most fans. We''ll continue to settle for FGs and then live with the high pulse-rate that results from much closer games as we trust our D to bend but not break.

BING BING BING we have a winner, PC has said he wants to get a lead and turn it over to his defense to win, so that means to him a FG is fine if we get a lead, so why take chances. FYI I am not saying I agree with him mind you.

Anthony!

Reaction score
semiahmoo":yw8k2frl said:
Agreed. That said, RW's inability to easily see over the line is likely a contributing factor. As he slows down and loses his some of his scramble ability it might become even more of a factor.

Time will tell.

Garbage post again has once again no proof of this just you pushing your agenda.

Anthony!

Reaction score
scrummymustard":hyucaz8a said:
mrt144":hyucaz8a said:
Anthony!":hyucaz8a said:

And now my wife beckons.

Absolutely fantastic write up.

I have been thinking this for 2 years. Strictly inside the RZ, put JFG in Kearse's role and he scores double digit TDs. There is no reason for him to be pass blocking inside the RZ, Willson or Vannett can do that. Let's put JFG in the best position for him and us to succeed, and that is getting Kearse off the field inside the RZ. There isn't a single route that Kearse runs that Graham can't. It seems like we are doing that, at least in the week 3 preseason vs KC, where Graham was outside a lot in the RZ.

I actually like this, or put Williams or Vanett in that role

Seymour

Reaction score
Anthony!":1nxg8jg4 said:
SoulfishHawk":1nxg8jg4 said:

LOL there is no proof we have been working around anything and plenty that says it has not been an issue

There is no proof that being vertically challenged presents some issues / challenges?

I agree in the end they are of little issue to Russ as he has learned to operate efficiently in spite of this, but to completely ignore or deny it is at least a challenge will just bring out the buzzards.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I don't give a rats butt how tall he is, I just want him to continue to be one of the best in football, which he is. I doubt he's the only QB who has to adjust to 6'5" lineman in front of him. He makes it work, isn't that what matters?

Anthony!

Reaction score
Seymour":123ntx02 said:
Anthony!":123ntx02 said:
SoulfishHawk":123ntx02 said:

There is no proof that being vertically challenged presents some issues / challenges?

I agree in the end they are of little issue to Russ as he has learned to operate efficiently in spite of this, but to completely ignore or deny it is at least a challenge will just bring out the buzzards.

Yeah but to give it any validity given there is no proof is feeding the buzzards

Anthony!

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2jqopqeh said:
I don't give a rats butt how tall he is, I just want him to continue to be one of the best in football, which he is. I doubt he's the only QB who has to adjust to 6'5" lineman in front of him. He makes it work, isn't that what matters?

yes and as it has been pointed out all QBs no matter how big or small need throwing lanes