The Hawks Would Win A Lot More Games IF . . . (you finish)

Mick063

Reaction score
The defensive backs gave less cushion relative to situationally correct football.

The best example: The Rams missed a field goal to lose the first matchup, but they moved into field goal position too easily. The defensive backs gave way too much room in that situation and the Rams picked up 40 yards playing simple pitch n catch without ever sweating the clock.

AgentDib

Reaction score
It's wildly optimistic to think we have the talent on the field to be 11-5, let alone "a lot" better than 11-5. Nice to see this thread so full of optimists on that front. Just imagine if a third of our team wasn't hurt, we'd win 15 or 16 games every year then unless the coaching staff did something the posters disagreed with.

rcaido

Reaction score
They would win a lot more games if they were taller & black enough!

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Better situational football. Carroll calls some WTF worthy plays in certain situations. I count time management under this. Timeouts burned that need not be, weird challenges and overall decision making in situations. We've lost a few games this season due to this.

Procedural football changes. The Seahawks are very sloppy when it comes to small things. We make routine situations in football, painful. Situations like we had with Lynch last Sunday are common place in Seattle. Our coaching staff routinely leaves only a few seconds on the clock for the team to line-up. Many times they look unready. On defense it is more of the same. Our defense flat out doesn't seem to know where to line-up on certain plays, especially if the opposing offense gets creative with the tempo. The Seahawks are very bad at the mundane, yet important things in football.

On offense we need to vary our tempo. Waiting until the clock hits zero is bad, it makes it easier for the defense to time jumps. We've taken most of the guesswork of timing the snap from the defense. Defenders such as Michael Bennett thrived on this. Taking such a long time for plays to come out also hinders our ability to make adjustments.

We need to stop trying to hammer a square peg into a round hole. We're trying to force offensive game plans to work when they clearly aren't. Carroll as well as our staff seem to fixate on one type of play be it running or passing and keep on hammering it even when it doesn't work. We are relentless in his aspect, and not in a good way.

More short passes need to be integrated into the playbook. When Russ was in the MVP running we using the short passes quite effectively. Where did this go? It isn't sexy, it isn't highlight reel worthy, but they are important staples, especially with an injured offensive line. We keep trying to skip the foreplay so we can go for the climax, the knockout punch, the haymaker. Long developing have their uses, but like everything it has a time and a place.

Defensive scheming or lack thereof. Lots of three linebackers, not many blitzes or stunts. Very vanilla defense. I'd take a

I think above all else though time management and procedural football are the biggest things we can do right away to win.

nwHawk

Reaction score
If the team replaced the strength and conditioning coach, and their special teams coach.

Ultimately, injuries have killed us this year and that must be addressed in the offseason.

olyfan63

Reaction score
nwHawk":ghzk4y5x said:
If the team replaced the strength and conditioning coach, and their special teams coach.

Ultimately, injuries have killed us this year and that must be addressed in the offseason.

Can someone list the shortcomings, perceived or real, of ST coach Brian Schneider? Maybe separate thread. Sure, there's the New Orleans game, but what else? Hawks ST have been solid the last couple months, from what I've seen. I confess I'm still baffled seeing Lockett back for KR duty. Happy to see David Moore doing Punt Return duty, though. And why didn't we use Penny for KR duty when he wasn't getting RB reps? OMG, look at his college KR highlights! IIRC he set a single season record, I think 6 KR TDs in one season.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
They had "killer" instinct. They had it during 2012-2015 run but somehow lost it since. They were stomping on teams they should and putting 40-50 burgers on teams that deserved them....Bills, Cards, etc. Stepping on a wounded opponent's throat and finishing them. Now they don't do that. Yes, injuries and personnel changes have impacted them but even when healthy they weren't showing any "killer" instinct the past few seasons.

nwHawk

Reaction score
olyfan63":15xjxlzv said:
nwHawk":15xjxlzv said:

Can someone list the shortcomings, perceived or real, of ST coach Brian Schneider? Maybe separate thread. Sure, there's the New Orleans game, but what else? Hawks ST have been solid the last couple months, from what I've seen. I confess I'm still baffled seeing Lockett back for KR duty. Happy to see David Moore doing Punt Return duty, though. And why didn't we use Penny for KR duty when he wasn't getting RB reps? OMG, look at his college KR highlights! IIRC he set a single season record, I think 6 KR TDs in one season.

Scheming punt blocking (always a nail bitter). FG kickers have been pretty average to below average. Jason Meyers was great last season in NY, and although much better as of late, he gave plenty of fans reason to pine for (the old) Hauschka. Meyers is middle of the road, but for a team that depends on playing tight games we must have a reliable, dare I say elite, kicker.

As of late the punt and kick return teams have improved, but it just feels like the opponent can break one at anytime. I am happy that David Moore is starting to developed nicely.

olyfan63

Reaction score
The risk of ditching Schneider is the chance of getting someone worse, and if Schneider continues to learn and improve, of missing his growth and experience, and apparently, proven ability to work with and communicate with Pete. So it seems like a coin flip, with no guarantees.

Also, Schneider may be tasked with taking some of the Special Teams scheme stuff from Pete and scheming it up, coaching the players up. If he's primarily doing what Pete is asking him to do, changing coordinators would be a waste.

xray

Reaction score
Improve tackling would really help .

Mad Dog

Reaction score
If no one got hurt.

Injuries derail most teams seasons and are the single biggest factor in team outcomes. It’s why Vegas demands injury reports to set their betting lines.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Well, the won 11 games so far, so there is that.
But, Injuries have played a huge part. Also, Pete's time management is a real issue imo.
Pass rush to me is maybe the #1 thing, very little of it all season. And in the playoffs, they will need it big time.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
xray":1hh97rxf said:
Improve tackling would really help .

Being near the receivers when they catch the ball would help even more.

thegameq

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":1t0phz50 said:
Better situational football. Carroll calls some WTF worthy plays in certain situations. I count time management under this. Timeouts burned that need not be, weird challenges and overall decision making in situations. We've lost a few games this season due to this.

Procedural football changes. The Seahawks are very sloppy when it comes to small things. We make routine situations in football, painful. Situations like we had with Lynch last Sunday are common place in Seattle. Our coaching staff routinely leaves only a few seconds on the clock for the team to line-up. Many times they look unready. On defense it is more of the same. Our defense flat out doesn't seem to know where to line-up on certain plays, especially if the opposing offense gets creative with the tempo. The Seahawks are very bad at the mundane, yet important things in football.

On offense we need to vary our tempo. Waiting until the clock hits zero is bad, it makes it easier for the defense to time jumps. We've taken most of the guesswork of timing the snap from the defense. Defenders such as Michael Bennett thrived on this. Taking such a long time for plays to come out also hinders our ability to make adjustments.

We need to stop trying to hammer a square peg into a round hole. We're trying to force offensive game plans to work when they clearly aren't. Carroll as well as our staff seem to fixate on one type of play be it running or passing and keep on hammering it even when it doesn't work. We are relentless in his aspect, and not in a good way.

More short passes need to be integrated into the playbook. When Russ was in the MVP running we using the short passes quite effectively. Where did this go? It isn't sexy, it isn't highlight reel worthy, but they are important staples, especially with an injured offensive line. We keep trying to skip the foreplay so we can go for the climax, the knockout punch, the haymaker. Long developing have their uses, but like everything it has a time and a place.

Defensive scheming or lack thereof. Lots of three linebackers, not many blitzes or stunts. Very vanilla defense. I'd take a

I think above all else though time management and procedural football are the biggest things we can do right away to win.

Basically, this.

I get wanting to keep things simple for the players so they can think less and play faster, but come on.......

The NFL is all about coaching, schemes and match-ups. I swear our offense and defense looks so generic and confounded at times. Just once i'd like us to have a smooth operating, well oiled machine for an offense--instead of the stop and start, stumbling, bumbling, three and out, penalty laden, poorly organized offense we get each year.

That 9ers and Saints game was a master class in offensive schemes and designs. Yet the things they do I would think is a no-brainer. Same personnel, same formation, different play. Defense can't figure out what's coming and is on their heels for most of the drive. No need to constantly keep switching out personnel--eating up the play clock and causing confusion in some cases. It also allows you to catch the other team in the process of subbing defensive players.

Maybe someone with more Xs and Os knowledge can explain the drawbacks of what the Saints, 9ers and Rams do and how to beat it. Every system has flaws but those systems look like they force defenses to fall back on their heels and react rather than play agresively. It would be an interesting read on .NET or at least a change of pace.

chris98251

Reaction score
thegameq":2yya2w88 said:
Spin Doctor":2yya2w88 said:

Basically, this.

I get wanting to keep things simple for the players so they can think less and play faster, but come on.......

The NFL is all about coaching, schemes and match-ups. I swear our offense and defense looks so generic and confounded at times. Just once i'd like us to have a smooth operating, well oiled machine for an offense--instead of the stop and start, stumbling, bumbling, three and out, penalty laden, poorly organized offense we get each year.

That 9ers and Saints game was a master class in offensive schemes and designs. Yet the things they do I would think is a no-brainer. Same personnel, same formation, different play. Defense can't figure out what's coming and is on their heels for most of the drive. No need to constantly keep switching out personnel--eating up the play clock and causing confusion in some cases. It also allows you to catch the other team in the process of subbing defensive players.

Maybe someone with more Xs and Os knowledge can explain the drawbacks of what the Saints, 9ers and Rams do and how to beat it. Every system has flaws but those systems look like they force defenses to fall back on their heels and react rather than play agresively. It would be an interesting read on .NET or at least a change of pace.

Its really simple, flood the layers of zone pass protection a guy on each layer coming across from the same side, there is a hand off point to the next defender, they hit that guy right before the hand off point. When Kendricks is covering he doesn't have the quickness to keep up with a WR that is good at routes and accelerates, also once you clear that you can leak a TE or a RB that has stayed back to chip block in the vacated flat in front of the CB that is taking a deeper guy and have a wide open field in front of him.

How do you off set this, Nickel in the under route with the quick guy and pressure so the leaked guys can't release and force earlier throws to the deeper routes that take longer to clear.

Largent80

Reaction score
Delano Hill isn't the starting safety. Also add Thompson in here. I was relieved when he went on IR. They missed on those guys and I think Blair has that star quality and thump we're looking for. But the experience of Diggs is so valuable but heck, he had a hamstring when we traded for him now a H.A.S. These are easy fixes but hopefully not a trend with him.

chris98251

Reaction score
Largent80":30f0y7zp said:
Delano Hill isn't the starting safety. Also add Thompson in here. I was relieved when he went on IR. They missed on those guys and I think Blair has that star quality and thump we're looking for. But the experience of Diggs is so valuable but heck, he had a hamstring when we traded for him now a H.A.S. These are easy fixes but hopefully not a trend with him.

Problem with Blair is he has the want but not the body to back it up day in and day out I am thinking, maybe a off season he will be able to transform his body to be more stout.

Latest posts