The 2018 Recruiting Thread

Anajimmc

Reaction score
Devon W is a Trojan, third domino!!!! FTFO!!! one more to go!!!!

D

DomeHawk

JSeahawks":3d40rlgs said:
DomeHawk":3d40rlgs said:
JSeahawks":3d40rlgs said:
drrew":3d40rlgs said:
What a crazy few months it's been for Oregon fans. You were looking at maybe the greatest ever recruiting class in Oregon history about 60 days ago, it was easy top 10, maybe even higher, and I realize the sites still have Oregon around 15 right now, but it certainly doesn't feel like a top 15 class at the moment.

I’m actually pretty happy with the class. It kind of finished with a whimper rather then a bang like we were hoping too (although Sewell is still a pretty Big Bang!) but we’ve covered all our needs. The one thing the class is lacking is a natural pass rusher, which we could have used.

Ducks are only going to be at 75 total scholarships, so they have a lot of room to bring in senior transfers to fill holes if needed.

15ish isn’t where we thought we’d finish a couple months ago, but coming off two disappointing seasons and 3 coaching changes in this recruiting cycle, it’s pretty damn good. I’m excited to see what this staff can do for next years class.

If I was an Oregon fan I would be absolutely thrilled with this recruiting class, while it may not have turned out like they wanted, their expectations weren't very realistic anyway. Having said that, it was an excellent example of damage control.

The Oregon recruiting class was never going to be top-5 as reported in this thread. Top-5 classes have multiple 5-stars and a high ratio of 4-stars to 3-stars, Oregon never had that and was never going to have that. What Oregon had was a lot of recruits and a new coach dragging his former recruits across the country. For a NW school to attract those 5-stars that project into the upper echelons of recruiting they are probably going to have to win a national championship or two to have that kind of exposure.

The biggest problem Oregon has is that recruits are not picking them because they are good but because they are not. Oregon has gaping holes at positions of need and the higher-rated recruits are looking for early playing time. This is the opposite of why recruits choose the Alabama's, USC's and now Georgia. Even UDub, which went through a very significant downturn has revived and has recruits picking them for their winning outlook. Will that continue? Yes, at least for the immediate they look very good with all those QB's and a proven coaching staff but you have to keep winning.

And no, this isn't duck negativity or hatred, it's simple reality. College football is very cyclic and today's hero's can easily be tomorrow's goats. We all have our day in the barrel, and like I always say, "I don't seek humility, humility seeks me."

I am curious where you see the gaping holes for the ducks though? Starting 22 is going to be really solid, there are a few positions that don’t have great depth. But I don’t see any gaping holes.
C'mon I don't want to get into another back and forth with you, this isn't just my take, it has been reported widely. What about the 5 WR's who decommitted? Oregon was desperate for WR recruits.

"The Oregon Ducks have large holes to fill on offense heading into 2018"

http://www.oregonlive.com/collegefootba ... ge_ho.html

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Wr depth isn’t good, but Dillon Mitchell is projected as 1st team all league. All 3 guys who started on the outside are returning. Guys will need to step up to fill those backup roles though.

Dont get me wrong, i badly wanted Williams and/or Ezeike, but if a true freshman is going to make or break your season yo'ure in pretty big trouble. Just makes it more important to hit on receivers next year.

Although Hall was a big time get this year, Crocker has a lot of promise, and they're probably still going to add JJ Tucker, who will be a red shirt developmental guy, later today.

drrew

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":1ou1ynji said:
https://twitter.com/YahooDrSaturday/status/961323727597309952

I worry about a kid who doesn't tell his mom where he's going to college before he tells TV cameras. Maybe she's a bad mom, but that's just a weird situation.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Ducks still expecting 3 additions this afternoon. 1 stud that any team in the country would want, 1 backup plan that I really like a lot, and 1 backup plan that I wish they’d just save the scholarship.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
drrew":6zx5fudj said:
Glasgow Seahawk":6zx5fudj said:

I worry about a kid who doesn't tell his mom where he's going to college before he tells TV cameras. Maybe she's a bad mom, but that's just a weird situation.

If that's how his mom is going to react to his choice in front of cameras, then it's pretty easy to see why he didn't tell her beforehand in private.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
fenderbender123":3o1w5bbw said:
drrew":3o1w5bbw said:
Glasgow Seahawk":3o1w5bbw said:

If that's how his mom is going to react to his choice in front of cameras, then it's pretty easy to see why he didn't tell her beforehand in private.

Feel bad for the kid being embarrassed like that on one of the biggest days of his life. Its not like Florida isn't a great football school either and he may stand out more there than Alabama. I'd be more pissed if he picked Tennessee.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":zgy9qoc8 said:
fenderbender123":zgy9qoc8 said:
drrew":zgy9qoc8 said:
Glasgow Seahawk":zgy9qoc8 said:

Feel bad for the kid being embarrassed like that on one of the biggest days of his life. Its not like Florida isn't a great football school either and he may stand out more there than Alabama. I'd be more pissed if he picked Tennessee.

She probably had a pay day lined up if he commited to Alabama.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3k4p7u84 said:
Glasgow Seahawk":3k4p7u84 said:
fenderbender123":3k4p7u84 said:
drrew":3k4p7u84 said:

She probably had a pay day lined up if he commited to Alabama.

Ran out to cash the check before it got cancelled...

dopeboy206

Reaction score
Remember when JSeahawks said the Ducks will still have a better class this year than the Huskies right after the early signing period and even after Willie Taggart left. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
dopeboy206":iyu78sz2 said:
Remember when JSeahawks said the Ducks will still have a better class this year than the Huskies right after the early signing period and even after Willie Taggart left. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, didn’t work out. I’ll own it. Things change in recruiting daily.

In my defense though I thought uw was done and out of room. I didn’t know they were still adding more.

In reality though, we won’t know who had the better class for 4 or 5 years. Some of the best players in ducks history were guys that nobody else wanted on signing day: Marcus Mariota, max unger (he was a 2 star), Patrick Chung, etc etc. The only other school to offer Justin Herbert was Montana, now he’s a heisman trophy contender.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
original poster":234rafrr said:
Glasgow Seahawk":234rafrr said:

What a disgraceful parent.

Had to be a bit.. she was wearing a Bama sweatshirt

Anajimmc

Reaction score
JSeahawks, you hearing any rumbling about Sewell. I'm hearing the baby Bruins are making as run at him, also some cryptic tweets.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Anajimmc":hk41pfnl said:
JSeahawks, you hearing any rumbling about Sewell. I'm hearing the baby Bruins are making as run at him, also some cryptic tweets.

Should be announcing any second now. Ducks are confident. We’ll see. If it’s ucla thaT would be pretty wild, I’ve never even heard them mentioned as a possibility.

Latest posts