The 2016 Seattle Mariners (Official season edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crizilla

Reaction score
M's will have to go 45-30 the rest of the way to hit that sweet spot of 90 wins.

Not betting on it. However I think Servais and Dipoto did a good first year. Moving forward lets hope we can fill this team up with a bunch of Marte-like players and fix our bullpen and closing issues.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Crizilla":1u0lgy5m said:
M's will have to go 45-30 the rest of the way to hit that sweet spot of 90 wins.

Not betting on it. However I think Servais and Dipoto did a good first year. Moving forward lets hope we can fill this team up with a bunch of Marte-like players and fix our bullpen and closing issues.
I think they have the talent to do it...... If Cishek is moved from the closer role to mop up duty (enters the game only when up or down by 6) and they stay healthy.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Crizilla":2pz5pkha said:

Bullpen is typically an easy fix in baseball. The tough part will be putting together a starting rotation for next year. Id like to see us add a premier arm to the rotation, no more Miley and no more depending on Walker to be the #2.

2_0_6

Reaction score
This is a HUGE six game home stand coming up, and will likely define if we are sellers or buyers at the deadline. If you lose the series to Houston, then you will be 10+ games back of the top 2 teams in your own division.

I would love to see a TOR starter next year, but there aren't any of those available outside of Steven Strasburg that will most likely resign with the Nats.

kearly

Reaction score
Crizilla":1dmx8oly said:

Even worse, they have to go 45-28.

It's not very likely as things stand now. They'll basically need to have a 19-9 kind of month at some point to make it realistic.

After the Mariners got swept by the Astros recently, I pretty much gave up on the season. You can't lose 75% of your games to the two competitive teams in your division and expect to play October baseball.

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
A week ago Cishek was labeled as Dipoto's best offseason move, and now some don't want him as closer anymore? Make up your minds. I sure as hell want him over Fernando Rodney.

sutz

Reaction score
dumbrabbit":lar90d27 said:
A week ago Cishek was labeled as Dipoto's best offseason move, and now some don't want him as closer anymore? Make up your minds. I sure as hell want him over Fernando Rodney.
Well, barely. :laugh:

The problem is that good closers in baseball are a lot like good pass rushers in football, the ones out there are mostly taken and nobody is giving them up for anything like a reasonable deal. You can't find them packing boxes at your local K-Mart.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
dumbrabbit":w8mtyqzn said:
Please go through the history of this thread and note I was never on the Seasick train. I am not alone either. Better than Rodney? Yes but as HawLock said, barely.

sutz

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":3p6vmk54 said:
dumbrabbit":3p6vmk54 said:
Please go through the history of this thread and note I was never on the Seasick train. I am not alone either. Better than Rodney? Yes but as HawLock said, barely.
I think that was me. ;)

Regardless, I'm hopeful, at least. With Kuma throwing well, and Felix coming back in a week, it's looking up a bit. Taijuan is probably an acceptable 3-4, and with Monty maybe elevating back to being a starter, perhaps our bullpen will look better if our starters can get out of the 5th inning on a consistent basis. Diaz looks like he might have a promising future if they can get him to where he can throw more than 1-2 innings, or maybe he could be a closer. Young for it, I know, but he has a pretty overpowering fastball and a couple of other decent pitches. They've thrown him in some tough situations, and he mostly handled it well IMHO.

I like what I'm seeing from O'Malley and Robertson so far as utility and/or bench players. Cruz is frustrating at times, but Cano and Seagar are on near career year paces. Behind the plate, we've been better than most seemed to think before the season. Defense overall has been solid, excepting some real gaffes. Again the other night we had some bone-headed base running errors that might have cost us a game, but if they can clean that up, we have a decent combo of speed with Marte/Martin and power/average with Cano/Cruz/Seagar in the heart of the lineup.

Yeah, we're gonna have to put together some decent win streaks, but I don't think the playoffs are completely out of reach yet.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
sutz":1y0jmccm said:
hawksfansinceday1":1y0jmccm said:
dumbrabbit":1y0jmccm said:
I think that was me. ;)

Regardless, I'm hopeful, at least. With Kuma throwing well, and Felix coming back in a week, it's looking up a bit. Taijuan is probably an acceptable 3-4, and with Monty maybe elevating back to being a starter, perhaps our bullpen will look better if our starters can get out of the 5th inning on a consistent basis. Diaz looks like he might have a promising future if they can get him to where he can throw more than 1-2 innings, or maybe he could be a closer. Young for it, I know, but he has a pretty overpowering fastball and a couple of other decent pitches. They've thrown him in some tough situations, and he mostly handled it well IMHO.

I like what I'm seeing from O'Malley and Robertson so far as utility and/or bench players. Cruz is frustrating at times, but Cano and Seagar are on near career year paces. Behind the plate, we've been better than most seemed to think before the season. Defense overall has been solid, excepting some real gaffes. Again the other night we had some bone-headed base running errors that might have cost us a game, but if they can clean that up, we have a decent combo of speed with Marte/Martin and power/average with Cano/Cruz/Seagar in the heart of the lineup.

Yeah, we're gonna have to put together some decent win streaks, but I don't think the playoffs are completely out of reach yet.
I agree..I haven't gave up but it's do or die time.Cishit has to go though #1 move.TW or Diaz should be in

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Gonna be tough for Robbie to beat Stanton in the derby. Stanton is already teeing off. Robbie should be coming up within the next 10 minutes.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Robbie's dad didn't help him at all. He nearly hit him on one pitch lol. Btw, the new format is so much more exciting.

Atradees

Reaction score
Felix Hernandez
Iwakuma
Paxton
Wade Lablanc
Montgomery

I like this M's rotation even better if we can get a Walker replacement. We are 8.5 out and the rangers are 3 and 7 in 10.

sutz

Reaction score
Atradees":3qwdkuwh said:
Felix Hernandez
Iwakuma
Paxton
Wade Lablanc
Montgomery

I like this M's rotation even better if we can get a Walker replacement. We are 8.5 out and the rangers are 3 and 7 in 10.
Yeah, I forgot about Paxton. He's done well since returning, too.

Hawker

Reaction score
We have a make-or-break series against Houston this weekend. If we lose the series and fall 6+ games back of 2nd place, we might be sellers come the trade deadline.

As an aside, I absolutely love that we put Montgomery back into the rotation. I hope that was a permanent move. I was very against his "demotion" to the pen to begin the season. He has deadly stuff, and is very consistent at getting into the 6th/7th inning.

Seahaaaawks

Reaction score
dumbrabbit":2npgpais said:

I have never had one good word to say about the guy. He is Charles Barkley "turrable"! Best thing I can say about him is he is a collage pitcher at best, and that's even being nice. He is #1 on my list of needs to go. How he can be that bad at his profession and still in the bigs baffles me. If I were as bad as he is in my profession, I'd quit and save myself the embarrassment.

Atradees

Reaction score
That side arm motion cant be good for his arm. Its like he is leveraging all his tendons. Cishek.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Sidearm pitchers like that are either damn near unhittable or throw complete meatballs right down the pipe. His pitches seem to keep rising and often end up center cut and he gets smashed.

Just think, this is year one of a two year $10mil dollar deal :cry:

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":37lm9iue said:
Sidearm pitchers like that are either damn near unhittable or throw complete meatballs right down the pipe. His pitches seem to keep rising and often end up center cut and he gets smashed.

Just think, this is year one of a two year $10mil dollar deal :cry:
When I played baseball, once you got over the fear of getting hit by them and a little used to the arm slot where the ball was being released from I found them easier to hit off of. Didn't have to worry about up and down, I just looked inside - outside.
.....and I was a Joe Nobody.

I think Eck was one of the very few exceptions when it came to sidearmers having career success.

The guys that are effective throwing sidearm are ones that come over the top most of the time and just drop down on occasion to give it a different arm angle and release point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts