Texans WR Andre Johnson released

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
rideaducati":3lzw2teu said:
Wide receivers that haven't worked out with new team of the past few seasons.

Mike Wallace
Vincent Jackson
Braylon Edwards
Brandon Lloyd
Greg Jennings
Eric Decker
James Jones
Santonio Holmes
Sidney Rice
Chad Johnson/ Ocho Stinko
Terrell Owens
Randy Moss
T.J. Housyourmomma
Brandon Marshall
Any of the New England WRs that left New England

Some of these guys are better than Andre Johnson and they didn't work out. The only guy that I can think of that DID do well is Randy Moss when he went to New England and lit it up with Tom Brady, but they still didn't win the Super Bowl that year and it was Moss' third or fourth team.

Count me out on ANOTHER free agent WR.

so you are happy with our current cast of wr's? we need help at the position desperately...

Basis4day

Reaction score
Frank Gore starts having second thoughts about the Eagles and is rumored to be interested in the Colts now.

Wouldn't have anything to do with fellow Hurricane Andre Johnson being available...

Throwdown

Reaction score
who the hell on that list is better than Johnson? Prime TO, and Randy Moss are the only ones I can think of

naholmes

Reaction score
Terrell Owens was very successful after leaving the 49ers, how is he considered a free agent bust?

HawkFan72

Reaction score
naholmes":34fiohdi said:
Terrell Owens was very successful after leaving the 49ers, how is he considered a free agent bust?

I wouldn't qualify Vincent Jackson as a bust either. I think that list is a bit exaggerated and biased.

rideaducati

Reaction score
hawksurething":22z84gcc said:
rideaducati":22z84gcc said:
I am officially not a fan of past their prime free agent wide receivers, no matter how good they were in their prime. I've seen way too many failures when teams go this route. Even when teams don't need to make a trade to acquire the guy, it RARELY works out. Just look back at the last few years and you can find a long list of these failures.

We've seen promising performances from the a couple of the young guys on the roster already and can always add another guy in the draft. Save the millions of dollars and put it to better use.

Deion Sanders for both the 49ers & cowboys.
Reggie White.
Cory dillion
Keyshawn Johnson
Rodney harrison
Plaxico burress
Anquan Boldin all helped get their teams Superbowl rings. :)

And recently...

Pats Brandon lafell = Superbowl
Hawks avril,Harvin,bennett = Superbowl

So getting free agents is equating to Superbowl now days...since defenses & offenses are loaded in the NFL these days...teams must build competitive rosters to MATCH . ;)

I said I didn't want to bring in another PAST THEIR PRIME free agent WIDE RECEIVER. All WRs you listed were IN THEIR PRIME and the other players weren't WIDE RECEIVERS. Maybe comprehension isn't a strong suit for you. Add to that, only Keshawn was brought in to be the number one guy, but he was STILL IN HIS PRIME.

I have no problem with bringing in players at any position that are IN THEIR PRIME. Expecting a WR that is several years past his prime to come in and be the number one WR rarely works out. It takes time to adapt to their new system and when/if they finally do, it's often too late for him to offer anything of significant value to his team. As past their prime players age they are more prone to injuries too. I just don't think what a PAST THEIR PRIME WR can offer is worth the extra $5-7 million/year over what a draft pick would offer.

rideaducati

Reaction score
naholmes":2j9neq5d said:

Again, when Terrell left the niners he was ENTERING HIS PRIME and was a good signing. I don't want the Seahawks to sign a PAST HIS PRIME WR to come in and be the number one guy...IT DOESN'T WORK.

Andre Johnson is several years past his prime.

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
rideaducati":6233jjc8 said:

Check his stats again, 1407 yards in 2013. I wouldn't say he is several years past his prime. ADB had 825 last year and led the hawks in receiving. If Andre Johnson was half the receiver he was in 2013, he would still be the second best receiver on the team and he is 6'3". I would take him in a heartbeat.

mistaowen

Reaction score
rideaducati":grd08hho said:
naholmes":grd08hho said:

Again, when Terrell left the niners he was ENTERING HIS PRIME and was a good signing. I don't want the Seahawks to sign a PAST HIS PRIME WR to come in and be the number one guy...IT DOESN'T WORK.

games played, catches, targets, yards, YPC, TD's
2012 HOU 16, 112, 164, 1,598, 14.3, 4

2013 HOU 16, 109, 181, 1,407, 12.9, 6

2014 HOU 15, 85, 147, 936, 11.0, 3

Several years past his prime was a poor choice of words me thinks. Still almost broke 1,000 yards with a potato throwing the ball to him. Doesn't need to come in and get 10 TDs to immediately be our best receiver.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
mistaowen":3uzsunns said:
rideaducati":3uzsunns said:
naholmes":3uzsunns said:

Several years past his prime was a poor choice of words me thinks. Still almost broke 1,000 yards with a potato throwing the ball to him. Doesn't need to come in and get 10 TDs to immediately be our best receiver.

What's funny is that a so called "past his prime" receiver has put up better numbers that the current in their prime Seahawk WRs. That was in his worst year. Yet he still caught 85 passes for 936 yards. Which is more than what the best Seahawk WR did last year. Andre Johnson would be a great get. Make it so.

Signed,
Randy Moss

rideaducati

Reaction score
mistaowen":ja6yu5uq said:
rideaducati":ja6yu5uq said:
naholmes":ja6yu5uq said:

Those numbers are all fine and dandy, but the Seahawks don't have a DeAndre Hopkins on the other side of the field to go along with Andre.

I just don't think he would be a guy to get the Seahawks over the top again.

The Seahawks have a few young guys that are already on the roster that have shown promise and are only going to get better with more time with Russell.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
The thing is what is missing for the Seahawks, in my observation, is a receiver that consistently moves the chains. It was quite evident they lacked this all season and even more so in the post season. In the Superbowl, it was either big play catching the ball or nothing. There was no middle game. This is where Andre Johnson can help out. His size will be an advantage and he also isn't afraid to get hit. He may be past his prime speed wise but the Seahawks have speedy guys already. They need someone to keep drives alive in the short to mid game. Andre can still do that. Plus he can be a good mentor to Richardson and Norwood.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Cyrus12":3dlw69h6 said:
rideaducati":3dlw69h6 said:
Wide receivers that haven't worked out with new team of the past few seasons.

Mike Wallace
Vincent Jackson
Braylon Edwards
Brandon Lloyd
Greg Jennings
Eric Decker
James Jones
Santonio Holmes
Sidney Rice
Chad Johnson/ Ocho Stinko
Terrell Owens
Randy Moss
T.J. Housyourmomma
Brandon Marshall
Any of the New England WRs that left New England

Some of these guys are better than Andre Johnson and they didn't work out. The only guy that I can think of that DID do well is Randy Moss when he went to New England and lit it up with Tom Brady, but they still didn't win the Super Bowl that year and it was Moss' third or fourth team.

Count me out on ANOTHER free agent WR.

so you are happy with our current cast of wr's? we need help at the position desperately...

I don't know our current cast of WRs. Three rookies, Baldwin and Kearse. Matthews will only get better with more time in the system and looked REALLY good in the Super Bowl. Richardson was coming on strong before his injury. Norwood didn't impress me, but neither did Tate his first couple years. WRs take time to develop chemistry with their QB. I don't think the Seahawks need to sign a guy that will take time to develop chemistry with Russell only to retire the following year.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Pass.

Plenty of WR options in the draft. It's time for Wilson to grow with a long term target, not a stopgap.

getnasty

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1xrzk871 said:
Pass.

Plenty of WR options in the draft. It's time for Wilson to grow with a long term target, not a stopgap.
Why not both?

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Our roster is SB ready. Let's get guy who can get us over the hump.
If we add to Beast Mode a proven Receiver, who can get us first downs on 3rd and short ... it gives us plenty of options to throw, to run, to read-option, ... etc.

hawksurething

Reaction score
rideaducati":1zrvub1k said:
mistaowen":1zrvub1k said:
rideaducati":1zrvub1k said:
naholmes":1zrvub1k said:

Those numbers are all fine and dandy, but the Seahawks don't have a DeAndre Hopkins on the other side of the field to go along with Andre.

I just don't think he would be a guy to get the Seahawks over the top again.

The Seahawks have a few young guys that are already on the roster that have shown promise and are only going to get better with more time with Russell.

your right hawks done have a hopkins caliber WR at all. Which destroys your own point about AJ.

Hawks need some semblance of a Hopkins caliber WR,and actually AJ is better than Hopkins right now. Even the NFL players voted AJ #21 out of the top 100 players in the NFL because they know what we know...AJ is a monster who just had weak QBs throwing to him. Fitz preferred to throw to Hopkins cause he knew AJ would be cut next year due TO SALARY CAP !,so he got in Hopkins good side.

Cap is not a issue with his release and hawks can sign him to low cap huge bonus contract for 2-3 years like they did with old Lynch. Or did you not want hawks to sign lynch either past his prime for 2-3 years ? Hum.

NFL players voted AJ #21 in 2014 says more than any outsiders words.

OP
OP
D

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Terry Blount has spoken:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/TerryBlountESPN/status/575145837573111810[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/TerryBlountESPN/status/575147155347890176[/tweet]

Status
Not open for further replies.