Texans WR Andre Johnson released

Status
Not open for further replies.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Though I could see Kansas City making a run at him especially if they cut Bowe which is a good possibility.

marko358

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":3w2g98cd said:
Though I could see Kansas City making a run at him especially if they cut Bowe which is a good possibility.

Even after picking up Maclin? I'm not sure where their cap numbers are so just curious.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
marko358":3pdup2yj said:
MizzouHawkGal":3pdup2yj said:

Even after picking up Maclin? I'm not sure where there cap numbers are so just curious.
Yeah because Bowe has a cap number very similar if not higher then Johnson's.

kidhawk

Reaction score
[urltargetblank]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000476531/article/potential-landing-spots-for-andre-johnson[/urltargetblank]

Potential Landing Spots per the article:

Seattle

New England

Indianapolis

San Diego

Denver

Atlanta

Kansas City

Then it lists other possibilities....all in all about 1/3 of the league

marko358

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":3ulzcaup said:
marko358":3ulzcaup said:
MizzouHawkGal":3ulzcaup said:

Even after picking up Maclin? I'm not sure where there cap numbers are so just curious.

Interesting. You would think that at this stage in his career that winning a Super Bowl could be a big factor and you'd have to wonder if KC has enough to overtake Denver yet.

kidhawk

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":7hbjxtyw said:
marko358":7hbjxtyw said:
MizzouHawkGal":7hbjxtyw said:

And with Johnson being released, he has no cap number, so teams can structure a lot more money in the bonus to alleviate this year's cap hit.

naholmes

Reaction score
Andre was quoted as saying that he wants to play with a great QB, so that should rule out KC but who knows. He does seem to think that he can and should be the #1 option which might give the Hawks an advantage because they clearly don't have one.

Brithawk

Reaction score
naholmes":3ky3nbyu said:
Andre was quoted as saying that he wants to play with a great QB, so that should rule out KC but who knows. He does seem to think that he can and should be the #1 option which might give the Hawks an advantage because they clearly don't have one.
That rules out Denver as well

kf3339

Reaction score
This will tell me if they are really serious about improving their WR corp, or not. He costs no draft picks and you would think wants to have a legitimate shot at a ring. They obviously passed on Marshall for whatever reason, and Johnson is really the only WR left who could make a major difference on our team right now.

If they pass it will tell me they don't value the position, or at least as it relates to taller WR's.

We shall see.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
I hope we get him, he still put up numbers at his age and with a bad QB, Seattle would be the best place for him if he is serious about a ring.

Decimation

Reaction score
I say bring him in.. Why not? Either way, I trust the decision making of the front office.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
kf3339":2nui7lmz said:
This will tell me if they are really serious about improving their WR corp, or not. He costs no draft picks and you would think wants to have a legitimate shot at a ring. They obviously passed on Marshall for whatever reason, and Johnson is really the only WR left who could make a major difference on our team right now.

If they pass it will tell me they don't value the position, or at least as it relates to taller WR's.

We shall see.

I'm with this line of thinking completely. Need meets opportunity. Role is currently vacant now. If we want to address a big target WR, this would be the player we've been waiting for.

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
kf3339":2j1gefm8 said:

We shall see.
I feel the same way

rideaducati

Reaction score
I am officially not a fan of past their prime free agent wide receivers, no matter how good they were in their prime. I've seen way too many failures when teams go this route. Even when teams don't need to make a trade to acquire the guy, it RARELY works out. Just look back at the last few years and you can find a long list of these failures.

We've seen promising performances from the a couple of the young guys on the roster already and can always add another guy in the draft. Save the millions of dollars and put it to better use.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Wide receivers that haven't worked out with new team of the past few seasons.

Mike Wallace
Vincent Jackson
Braylon Edwards
Brandon Lloyd
Greg Jennings
Eric Decker
James Jones
Santonio Holmes
Sidney Rice
Chad Johnson/ Ocho Stinko
Terrell Owens
Randy Moss
T.J. Housyourmomma
Brandon Marshall
Any of the New England WRs that left New England

Some of these guys are better than Andre Johnson and they didn't work out. The only guy that I can think of that DID do well is Randy Moss when he went to New England and lit it up with Tom Brady, but they still didn't win the Super Bowl that year and it was Moss' third or fourth team.

Count me out on ANOTHER free agent WR.

hawksurething

Reaction score
rideaducati":2pwc7xoz said:
I am officially not a fan of past their prime free agent wide receivers, no matter how good they were in their prime. I've seen way too many failures when teams go this route. Even when teams don't need to make a trade to acquire the guy, it RARELY works out. Just look back at the last few years and you can find a long list of these failures.

We've seen promising performances from the a couple of the young guys on the roster already and can always add another guy in the draft. Save the millions of dollars and put it to better use.

Deion Sanders for both the 49ers & cowboys.
Reggie White.
Cory dillion
Keyshawn Johnson
Rodney harrison
Plaxico burress
Anquan Boldin all helped get their teams Superbowl rings. :)

And recently...

Pats Brandon lafell = Superbowl
Hawks avril,Harvin,bennett = Superbowl

So getting free agents is equating to Superbowl now days...since defenses & offenses are loaded in the NFL these days...teams must build competitive rosters to MATCH . ;)

kidhawk

Reaction score
hawksurething":30p5f7xk said:
rideaducati":30p5f7xk said:

So getting free agents is equating to Superbowl now days...since defenses & offenses are loaded in the NFL these days...teams must build competitive rosters to MATCH . ;)

Pretty much EVERY team in the league signs SOME free agents every year. The idea is to use Free Agency as a supplement to team building, and not make free agency your core. The best teams are generally built from the bottom up with a few free agents to supplement the roster.

hawksurething

Reaction score
Here is a list of Superbowl winners since free agency that added amazing star players to their already strong roster...

Deion Sanders for both the 49ers & cowboys.
Reggie White.
Cory dillion
Keyshawn Johnson
Rodney harrison
Charles woodson
Plaxico burress
Anquan Boldin all helped get their teams Superbowl rings. :)

Who am I missing ???

And recently...

So as I'm looking at it that is the MAJORITY OF RINGS SINCE FREE AGENCY. WOW !

naholmes

Reaction score
How can you count the guys that signed big contracts for a team with no QB? Golden Tate did fine after leaving the Hawks, Brandon Marshall did fine with both the Dolphins and Bears, Welker was great for the Broncos until his concussions, DeSean Jackson succeeded with Redskins despite poor QBs.

Obviously they can't sign him to a 5 year contract with gobs of guaranteed money. Bring him in for a few years and front load the guaranteed money. How much would it take to sign him? If he truly wants to go to a contender then I can't see him receiving any crazy offers.

Status
Not open for further replies.