TE Chase Coffman added and C Drew Nowak released

HawkGA

Reaction score
olyfan63":1e0zw2ww said:
Seymour":1e0zw2ww said:
HawkGA":1e0zw2ww said:
Cable should be cut right along with him. Honestly, that was a boneheaded decision and more than the player should be held accountable.
Agree. Always compete, unless you are a coach (you can suck, get your QB pummeled and keep your job).
I have no idea how Cable has gotten a pass for so long and yet never had success in his OL coach position.

So we should have fired Carroll after that 2nd 7-9 season, with no playoffs that year? (2011)
People are just so flippant and knee-jerk about the coaching staff and their continued employment.
Carroll was a freakin HEAD coach with Oakland. He got canned there after a sucky year, but the Raiders steamrolled us that year, with Cable's OL.

Fire Cable, because he bet on a player, and the player didn't come through?
Cable is the least of our problems.

The Bill Belichick way is to instead cut the player. He cut the WR who fumbled the punt that led to Denver winning the SNF game. Chris Harper, cut. There's accountability for you. Different Chris Harper than the K-State WR we drafted.

Carrol never coached Oakland. Did you mean Cable?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
kearly":2smkh368 said:
When Nowak was awful, Cable loved him. When Nowak started to actually look decent, Cable benched him. Then demoted him. Then cut him.

I still can't forget how awful Mike Person was in the preseason a couple years ago, and not only did he make the initial 53 man roster over some very good players, but Cable even went so far as to say Person was our best backup lineman. Person was cut a couple weeks later.

Bailey kind of sucks now, but he kicked ass in the 2013 preseason and Cable hated him.

Then you have Patrick Lewis playing surprisingly well in 2014, and John Schneider even name checked Lewis when they traded Unger. Only to see Tom Cable mysteriously demote Lewis to 3rd string for no apparent reason in August. And when Lewis did get his chance to play around midseason, he was pretty good and the entire interior of the OL played noticeably better. So why was Lewis demoted again? For a converted DT? Lewis didn't do anything to lose the job, IMO.

Oh, and remember when Cable said JeanPierre was in line to start week 1 with like two games left in the preseason? Only to bench him for Nowak pretty much the next day. LJP went from week 1 starter to not even making the 53 man roster in 2 weeks for no apparent reason.

I don't think Cable is a terrible coach, but his process is often maddening. If he's talking about a young offensive lineman, you just can't put any stock into anything he says at all. I wish he'd work with quality veterans more often, because he seems to be wishy washy as hell with young lineman.
Kip, 2 superbowls. 2 effin super bowls.

Don't you know how criticizing coaches ends?
Oh wait, it's Cable. Carry on then.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
bigskydoc":3orup7x6 said:
I think Cable and Chip Kelly would make a great match in Tennessee, where they need that dynamic duo to spearhead their gameplan.

-bsd

Fixed it For you.

themunn

Reaction score
Cable is a terrible O-Line coach he's just lucky that Lynch and now Rawls are tearing up the league.

Largent80

Reaction score
Hard to believe this staff chose Nowak over Lewis after r the Unger trade. Certainly probably cost us the Ram game and maybe more. That choice sucked ass and now we are left with losses and they are finally going with the right guy.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
Basis4day":3vkuh1rf said:
jammerhawk":3vkuh1rf said:
Coffman was a tremendous college player who has done zip as a pro.

He did have a nice clothesline hit on a Ravens coach that cost him 30K
Pete and John have confidence in the ability of our coaches to take a punch

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Largent80":du5kkedm said:
Hard to believe this staff chose Nowak over Lewis after r the Unger trade. Certainly probably cost us the Ram game and maybe more. That choice sucked ass and now we are left with losses and they are finally going with the right guy.

I think that's a pretty simplistic view. Nowak was the only starting lineman to not allow a pressure against the Rams and the snaps were pretty much on target in that game. Britt, who was still learning the left guard position, had a really poor game. Gilliam, making his first start, also allowed a lot of pressure against the Rams. Now, missing Kam almost certainly cost us that game, but Nowak's performance had very little to do with that loss.

If we had lost to Detroit, I think you could make the case that Nowak contributed to it with the bad snaps, but that wasn't the case.

Lewis's run blocking has been really impressive and his snaps have been on target from day one, but there is a legit tradeoff in pass pro.

CalgaryHawk

Reaction score
Glad Nowak cleared waivers and is back on the PS. If I was Nowak, I'd lobby Cable hard for reps at guard during practice so he has a better chance of making and staying on the team next year as backup center/guard.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
The weekly blame game continues to make its rounds. It would appear Drew Nowak was this week's recipient. I think it good news that Drew cleared waivers and joined the practice squad.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Curtis_Crabtree/status/672196846052225026[/tweet][tweet]https://twitter.com/Curtis_Crabtree/status/672200081441816579[/tweet]
CVQkuOzUYAE5aZk
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Curtis_Crabtree/status/672154483166605312[/tweet]

Emphasis on the center position continues. There remain at least five names linked to the center position.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Basis4day":npwssrus said:
Coffman was released.

Pretty interesting. They now have two open spots on the roster and not entirely obvious who they're going to add.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Looks like Antwan Goodley (WR Baylor) is signing after working out today with team.

Hope he sticks. Was very much a Tate kind of clone when he came out.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":2lobfmeq said:
Looks like Antwan Goodley (WR Baylor) is signing after working out today with team.

Only to the PS for now though. So there are two open spots on the 53.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":2ge783jf said:
Basis4day":2ge783jf said:
jammerhawk":2ge783jf said:
Coffman was a tremendous college player who has done zip as a pro.

He did have a nice clothesline hit on a Ravens coach that cost him 30K
Pete and John have confidence in the ability of our coaches to take a punch

Seems that remember Cable punching one of his staff while he was at Oakland. Turn about might be "fair play".

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":3tqf028u said:

I thought the same thing as I did my informal draft player assessments last year. Loved watching him play at Baylor. This could turn out to be a good signing. Makes sense just PS for now, but I think this guy has a chance to stick.

Latest posts