TE Chase Coffman added and C Drew Nowak released

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Anyone knows why we didn't get Chris Matthews (WR) back?
Has he signed with other team, since he was released?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Basis4day":mgsgpx7f said:
iigakusei":mgsgpx7f said:
jammerhawk":mgsgpx7f said:
Coffman was a tremendous college player who has done zip as a pro.

Absolutely not true. He had one of the best cheap shots of all time on - wait for it - an assistant coach vs. the Ravens. I am not tech savvy - someone will link the video I am sure.

[youtube]NDGqfoa0XmY[/youtube]

Frankly that cheap shot hit was nothing as far as football ball was concerned , but I hear you. He's done nothing as a pro even though he apparently has good hands. Maybe some better coaching and some competition for playing time might motivate Coffman.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
joeseahawks":2hr0dspl said:

Chris Matthews is on the practice squad of the Baltimore Ravens.

drdiags

Reaction score
joeseahawks":zft0bqox said:

I understand he was signed to the Ravens PS. The negative comments he got from the coaches here upon his release surely wouldn't inspire him to come back here if given a chance.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
No reason to carry three centers, and Jeanpierre gives them more versatility as a backup because of his experience at guard. Overall, I thought Nowak played really well as a first-time starter. He was a dark horse going into camp, as likely to be released as he was to become the starter. But he was finally beaten out by Patrick Lewis, who is the superior run blocker. The pass pro suffers with Lewis in there versus Nowak, but that is the tradeoff that the coaches have decided on. I think Nowak still has a future in this league.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Barthawk":m6o92rpg said:
Nowak a good pass rusher? Huh? I know RW has been releasing the ball quicker lately, but the Pass pro has been NFL like since Nowak went to the bench.

Pass rusher? No, I said pass protection. Nowak yielded fewer pressures than any other lineman on the roster, while that is the weakness of Lewis's game due to his lack of athleticism. The pressure being allowed was coming the most from Britt, who was still learning the position through the first five games of the season. Britt has improved more than any other player since game one. Since Lewis has moved into the starting role, the pressures allowed by the center position have increased. It seems the coaches went back to what has worked for them in the past, which is giving preference to better run blockers, i.e. Lewis, as opposed to the better pass protectors, i.e. Nowak.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Barthawk":2cw76u8g said:
Nowak a good pass rusher? Huh?

Hey, now we've got an OLineman getting converted to DL. All kinds of novelty.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
With regard to linemen, there has been increasing talk about opening up passing lanes for Russell Wilson. It is a factor in the makeup of Seattle's offensive line.
[tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/671835796324745216[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/671835514685624321[/tweet]
The uniqueness of Russell Wilson demands somewhat unique attributes from Seattle linemen. It's why I don't get caught up in comparing Seahawk linemen with those in other systems. I prefer to entertain the notion that what they are putting together in Seattle is custom built .... for success .... Pete Carroll style.

Seymour

Reaction score
HawkGA":1ak5gpfd said:
Cable should be cut right along with him. Honestly, that was a boneheaded decision and more than the player should be held accountable.

Agree. Always compete, unless you are a coach (you can suck, get your QB pummeled and keep your job).

I have no idea how Cable has gotten a pass for so long and yet never had success in his OL coach position.

kf3339

Reaction score
The fault with Nowak lies squarely with Cable and his stupid belief that a DL could transition to a starting OC position with no real world experience. It cost us in losses early in the season which we are having to dig out of right now.

Cable is one of two weak links in our coaching department and it's a shame PC can't see it.

kearly

Reaction score
When Nowak was awful, Cable loved him. When Nowak started to actually look decent, Cable benched him. Then demoted him. Then cut him.

I still can't forget how awful Mike Person was in the preseason a couple years ago, and not only did he make the initial 53 man roster over some very good players, but Cable even went so far as to say Person was our best backup lineman. Person was cut a couple weeks later.

Bailey kind of sucks now, but he kicked ass in the 2013 preseason and Cable hated him.

Then you have Patrick Lewis playing surprisingly well in 2014, and John Schneider even name checked Lewis when they traded Unger. Only to see Tom Cable mysteriously demote Lewis to 3rd string for no apparent reason in August. And when Lewis did get his chance to play around midseason, he was pretty good and the entire interior of the OL played noticeably better. So why was Lewis demoted again? For a converted DT? Lewis didn't do anything to lose the job, IMO.

Oh, and remember when Cable said JeanPierre was in line to start week 1 with like two games left in the preseason? Only to bench him for Nowak pretty much the next day. LJP went from week 1 starter to not even making the 53 man roster in 2 weeks for no apparent reason.

I don't think Cable is a terrible coach, but his process is often maddening. If he's talking about a young offensive lineman, you just can't put any stock into anything he says at all. I wish he'd work with quality veterans more often, because he seems to be wishy washy as hell with young lineman.

JPatera76

Reaction score
Nowak was a DT in college. The Jags converted him to guard. Nowak isn't a cable project he is Jags project we brought in.

Willyeye

Reaction score
kearly":2ccic5py said:
When Nowak was awful, Cable loved him. When Nowak started to actually look decent, Cable benched him. Then demoted him. Then cut him.

I still can't forget how awful Mike Person was in the preseason a couple years ago, and not only did he make the initial 53 man roster over some very good players, but Cable even went so far as to say Person was our best backup lineman. Person was cut a couple weeks later.

Bailey kind of sucks now, but he kicked ass in the 2013 preseason and Cable hated him.

Then you have Patrick Lewis playing surprisingly well in 2014, and John Schneider even name checked Lewis when they traded Unger. Only to see Tom Cable mysteriously demote Lewis to 3rd string for no apparent reason in August. And when Lewis did get his chance to play around midseason, he was pretty good and the entire interior of the OL played noticeably better. So why was Lewis demoted again? For a converted DT? Lewis didn't do anything to lose the job, IMO.

Oh, and remember when Cable said JeanPierre was in line to start week 1 with like two games left in the preseason? Only to bench him for Nowak pretty much the next day. LJP went from week 1 starter to not even making the 53 man roster in 2 weeks for no apparent reason.

I don't think Cable is a terrible coach, but his process is often maddening. If he's talking about a young offensive lineman, you just can't put any stock into anything he says at all. I wish he'd work with quality veterans more often, because he seems to be wishy washy as hell with young lineman.

Perfect post! I had thought all the same things at some point in the last couple of years...Cable's process just makes no sense a lot of the time.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Jville":17l5egar said:
With regard to linemen, there has been increasing talk about opening up passing lanes for Russell Wilson. It is a factor in the makeup of Seattle's offensive line.
[tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/671835796324745216[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/671835514685624321[/tweet]
The uniqueness of Russell Wilson demands somewhat unique attributes from Seattle linemen. It's why I don't get caught up in comparing Seahawk linemen with those in other systems. I prefer to entertain the notion that what they are putting together in Seattle is custom built .... for success .... Pete Carroll style.

You don't have to have unique OLmen or anything "custom" made. Just copy what the freaking Saints have done with their OL for Drew Brees.

He was like, setting passing records and stuff. It kinda worked.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I think Cable and Chip Kelly would make a great match

Unless you are a fan of whichever team they coach for

-bsd

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Hawks46":1iq25xsh said:
You don't have to have unique OLmen or anything "custom" made. Just copy what the freaking Saints have done with their OL for Drew Brees.

He was like, setting passing records and stuff. It kinda worked.
This damn it!
And yes I know Russ isn't Brees.....yet....but wouldn't that approach help him get there sooner rather than later?

olyfan63

Reaction score
Seymour":1mnp12qz said:
HawkGA":1mnp12qz said:
Cable should be cut right along with him. Honestly, that was a boneheaded decision and more than the player should be held accountable.
Agree. Always compete, unless you are a coach (you can suck, get your QB pummeled and keep your job).
I have no idea how Cable has gotten a pass for so long and yet never had success in his OL coach position.

So we should have fired Carroll after that 2nd 7-9 season, with no playoffs that year? (2011)
People are just so flippant and knee-jerk about the coaching staff and their continued employment.
Cable was a freakin HEAD coach with Oakland. He got canned there after a sucky year, but the Raiders steamrolled us that year, with Cable's OL.

Fire Cable, because he bet on a player, and the player didn't come through?
Cable is the least of our problems.

The Bill Belichick way is to instead cut the player. He cut the WR who fumbled the punt that led to Denver winning the SNF game. Chris Harper, cut. There's accountability for you. Different Chris Harper than the K-State WR we drafted.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
No surprise at all. They took a chance on Nowak and it didn't pan out. We still have Lewis as capable starter, LJP as more than decent back up, Sokoli as C/G project and we even have Pericak, who also showed some promise, on our PS. We have enough people for the Center position right now, no need to keep someone who isn't good enough now and isn't showing enough signs of improving either.