Tate interview on Bob and Groz

bellyfat

Reaction score
Nah Coug Hawk, you hate Doug Baldwin. You keep implying that he'll be traded to the Colts or sign with them once he's a free agent. Even in this thread you wanted to correlate him with Irsay. He's very outspoken but he ain't nothin like Irsay.

Can you give examples where Doug has been shortsighted or "completely irrational?". He never defend Thurmond's or Browner's actions but he did have their back as a teammate. It's like if someone in your family faced trial you would probably go to the courtroom and be supportive as much as you can.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
bellyfat":1rmzaztn said:
Nah Coug Hawk, you hate Doug Baldwin. You keep implying that he'll be traded to the Colts or sign with them once he's a free agent. Even in this thread you wanted to correlate him with Irsay. He's very outspoken but he ain't nothin like Irsay.

Can you give examples where Doug has been shortsighted or "completely irrational?". He never defend Thurmond's or Browner's actions but he did have their back as a teammate. It's like if someone in your family faced trial you would probably go to the courtroom and be supportive as much as you can.

I keep implying that? Weird. I mean, the colts did attempt to trade for him. And that storyline has been in the national media a lot (he has been outspoken about his fondness for luck, so its an easy story to perpetuate), but I don't think I have taken it farther than that.

He says some pretty ridiculous stuff on twitter from time to time. Lots of knee jerk, emotional posts. A lot like Irsay in that way. I am not saying its wrong. He can say what he likes. I don't have to be a fan of his twitter activity, do I? Doesn't mean I hate him, that is pretty extreme. Already said, I don't know him as a person, so I can't and won't judge him on that at all. His social media presence is not my fave.

bellyfat

Reaction score
It seems you are aware of a lot of what he is tweeting, no you don't have to be a fan but maybe you should do your best to avoid his Twitter feed then.

The way you describe Doug's stuff can be said the exact same about Richard Sherman. But I don't see anyone bashing Sherm in this thread. It's because no one wants to see Sherman outside of a Seahawk's jersey. That's f'ing truth right there.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
bellyfat":28yuvsur said:
It seems you are aware of a lot of what he is tweeting, no you don't have to be a fan but maybe you should do your best to avoid his Twitter feed then.

The way you describe Doug's stuff can be said the exact same about Richard Sherman. But I don't see anyone bashing Sherm in this thread. It's because no one wants to Sherman outside of a Seahawk's jersey. That's f'ing truth right there.

I don't really look at it anymore. Thats why I had no idea what he said about this most recent set of events. Unfortunately when he says something stupid, it generally gets posted here, or on other Seahawks/news sites. So its pretty hard to miss.

There have been many threads about what Sherman has put out their publicly.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Meh, I don't really take issue with most of Doug's tweets. He comes out with his opinion which is sometimes overboard, but it spurs debate. The main thrust of his points about Browner were against the judgmental bashing of BB from a moral perspective. He really had no issue with the punishment, agreed more or less that BBs actions weren't very bright and with the anger at how it affected the team, but he did play devil's advocate a few times because I think he genuinely likes the debate/discussion.

Overly defensive at times? yeah, I'll buy that, but I think we can do a heck of a lot worse than a young, slightly hotheaded player who takes his game seriously and stands with his teammates. I personally I find it refreshing that he engages with us about issues we have with the team or a particular player. It gives me more perspective; to heck with the political crap sometimes. The stuff he tweets in response is very, VERY mild compared to the all-out attacks that come from some fans.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":3sfw5pp8 said:
Meh, I don't really take issue with most of Doug's tweets. He comes out with his opinion which is sometimes overboard, but it spurs debate. The main thrust of his points about Browner were against the judgmental bashing of BB from a moral perspective. He really had no issue with the punishment, agreed more or less that BBs actions weren't very bright and with the anger at how it affected the team, but he did play devil's advocate a few times because I think he genuinely likes the debate/discussion.

Overly defensive at times? yeah, I'll buy that, but I think we can do a heck of a lot worse than a young, slightly hotheaded player who takes his game seriously and stands with his teammates. I personally I find it refreshing that he engages with us about issues we have with the team or a particular player. It gives me more perspective; to heck with the political crap sometimes. The stuff he tweets in response is very, VERY mild compared to the all-out attacks that come from some fans.

True that!

BillHawks

Reaction score
Front page of ESPN.com: "Golden Tate: Teammates selfish"

Actual article: Tate, teammates, and coaches acknowledge the situation but still have their teammates backs.

Too bad no one will read the article and this will become "a thing" in the media. Gotta love E!SPN.

SeaTown81

Reaction score
Here's the problem with people who get all offended at guys like Baldwin who call out fans for being punks on Twitter. People read those comments and feel that he's responding to them or people who think like them. They don't read or realize just how many complete idiots, fools, punks, and jack asses tweet at these guys, saying some pretty foul crap. Sure Baldwin comes off like a sanctimonious punk in a vacuum of just his reply. But if you were to read all of the comments he gets from fans, you'd be a lot more understanding. You've been on the internet. You've seen just how obnoxious and irresponsible people can be. I'm not defending players bickering or fighting with fans on Twitter. I think it's stupid and that they should just ignore all of the comments that come their way, period. But I most definitely get it. I could only imagine how someone from this site would respond in Baldwin's position. I'm guessing a lot less cool and calm.

Crabhawk

Reaction score
SeaTown81":2c1358g9 said:
Here's the problem with people who get all offended at guys like Baldwin who call out fans for being punks on Twitter. People read those comments and feel that he's responding to them or people who think like them.
I think that's one of the problems with Twitter's format - you can be having a dialogue, but it comes across as a monologue. If Doug cares about his public image, he should be more careful. If he's ok with him he comes across, that's cool too. His call.

Coug_Hawk08, I think I understand what you are getting at, though. Doug is intelligent and passionate. He reminds me a lot of a college student that has taken a gender studies or race relations class for the first time and comes out of it with world beating passion for fixing all injustice. Sometimes that passion is so intense, it's blinding, and they end up stomping all over people with their good intentions. That's sort of how I view Doug. He's not always diplomatic with his thoughts. He'll likely always have that passion, which is good, but as he matures he'll learn how to harness it better.

He is one of the Seahawks that engages a lot with the fans, and it's hard not to love him for that.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Crabhawk":3a1ry92r said:
SeaTown81":3a1ry92r said:
Here's the problem with people who get all offended at guys like Baldwin who call out fans for being punks on Twitter. People read those comments and feel that he's responding to them or people who think like them.
I think that's one of the problems with Twitter's format - you can be having a dialogue, but it comes across as a monologue. If Doug cares about his public image, he should be more careful. If he's ok with him he comes across, that's cool too. His call.

He's probably like most that feels his public image is best expressed by his charitable contributions, visits to hospitals (which he did for a friend of a friend after a bad accident), and how he portrays himself in interviews.

Crabhawk

Reaction score
-The Glove-":1wmllyht said:
He's probably like most that feels his public image is best expressed by his charitable contributions, visits to hospitals (which he did for a friend of a friend after a bad accident), and how he portrays himself in interviews.
I'm not sure how he or most would feel about it. PR is a tricky game, tbh, and your public personal is often determined by what gets people talking the most, not what you think other people should value about you. I'm sorry if you think I have an issue with Doug. I don't. My point rephrased is this: if he's happy and confident with his public image, good on him; if he's not, he should consider making some changes.

On a related side note, I loved what he did this summer during some of the negative football press. He "attacked" back by talking about all the good things he and his teammates do for the community. I love that Kam and Marshawn post a lot of that sort of thing, too.

CoastStarlight

Reaction score
Full disclosure: I found this thread linked off Baldwin's twitter feed, so obviously I'm a supporter. That being said, I'm perplexed about the characterization of Baldwin as young, hotheaded or rash. To me, he is one of the more measured players who still engages with social media. A lot of players don't support the kind of dialogue Baldwin does, either because they don't care, don't have the intellectual chops to keep up (although alas, this doesn't stop all of them), or--like Wilson, IMO--recognize the pernicious nature of social media, the omnipresence and anonymity of which encourage bad behavior. Baldwin is willing to tangle with the beast (which the Beast himself is not, as is his prerogative), and for that I think we need, as fans, to drop any expectation that he will behave perfectly--something that isn't hard when you carefully control your social media presence, as RW does. What Baldwin and other players like him is doing is granting us access to his humanity, for better and for worse. I was very surprised to see people attacking him for his support of BB and WT3. What else would we expect? For him to throw his teammates under the bus? That team works because it is a brotherhood. It will continue to work for that reason. Casting someone out, trashing them publicly, is counter-intuitive to the locker room culture Carroll is trying to create. So I don't blame Baldwin for reacting defensively at what he saw as a slew of nasty, personal attacks against people who are like family to him. If you wish he had different opinions, fine. He's entitled to his opinions just as you are to yours, without anyone judging the maturity of anyone else's thoughts. Just because he's one player willing to put his ideas out there doesn't mean you have to agree, or even read them. Save the name-calling for the farty-whiners :) and GO HAWKS!

-The Glove-

Reaction score
CoastStarlight":e0fivhgr said:
Full disclosure: I found this thread linked off Baldwin's twitter feed, so obviously I'm a supporter. That being said, I'm perplexed about the characterization of Baldwin as young, hotheaded or rash. To me, he is one of the more measured players who still engages with social media. A lot of players don't support the kind of dialogue Baldwin does, either because they don't care, don't have the intellectual chops to keep up (although alas, this doesn't stop all of them), or--like Wilson, IMO--recognize the pernicious nature of social media, the omnipresence and anonymity of which encourage bad behavior. Baldwin is willing to tangle with the beast (which the Beast himself is not, as is his prerogative), and for that I think we need, as fans, to drop any expectation that he will behave perfectly--something that isn't hard when you carefully control your social media presence, as RW does. What Baldwin and other players like him is doing is granting us access to his humanity, for better and for worse. I was very surprised to see people attacking him for his support of BB and WT3. What else would we expect? For him to throw his teammates under the bus? That team works because it is a brotherhood. It will continue to work for that reason. Casting someone out, trashing them publicly, is counter-intuitive to the locker room culture Carroll is trying to create. So I don't blame Baldwin for reacting defensively at what he saw as a slew of nasty, personal attacks against people who are like family to him. If you wish he had different opinions, fine. He's entitled to his opinions just as you are to yours, without anyone judging the maturity of anyone else's thoughts. Just because he's one player willing to put his ideas out there doesn't mean you have to agree, or even read them. Save the name-calling for the farty-whiners :) and GO HAWKS!

Good post

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I don't give a flying flip what Baldwin tweets as long as he catches the ball. However some one should inform him that the special treatment he is clamoring for usually comes with the third super bowl ring.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
brimsalabim":s8oxilqb said:
I don't give a flying flip what Baldwin tweets as long as he catches the ball. However some one should inform him that the special treatment he is clamoring for usually comes with the third super bowl ring.
what special treatment?

CoastStarlight

Reaction score
He wants the ball thrown to him. So what? He's a competitor. No different from Harvin whispering in Pete's ear to put him on punt returns.

Latest posts