Tarvaris Jackson wants to stay in Seattle

scutterhawk

Reaction score
For all those that think that Tarvaris Jackson isn't much of a drop off to Russell Wilson, Let's try this one on for size.......WHY did the Seahawks go out and give Matt Flynn a huge paycheck to come here and play, when they already had TJ here, and playing for peanuts by comparison, and then RELEASE him, and keep Flynn?
To be honest, I really like Jackson, and I also believe he's a damn good back-up, but there's just no way that he's as polished, and gifted as Wilson.
it's pure speculation that we'd have been every bit as successful last Season with Jackson at the helm.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I don't think anyone seriously thinks Jackson is anywhere close to Wilson's level. They're just comfortable with him as a back-up. Could we have won 10 games with him last year? Maybe. I think we'd probably look like the Cardinals. They won 10 games with Carson Palmer and a sorry run game.

I don't think he would have won a playoff game, though. Even though Wilson struggled at times, he still came through with clutch throws exactly when we needed them. That wasn't exactly Jackson's forte.

OP
OP
Seahawk Sailor

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
scutterhawk":808u3w3c said:
For all those that think that Tarvaris Jackson isn't much of a drop off to Russell Wilson, Let's try this one on for size.......WHY did the Seahawks go out and give Matt Flynn a huge paycheck to come here and play, when they already had TJ here, and playing for peanuts by comparison, and then RELEASE him, and keep Flynn?
To be honest, I really like Jackson, and I also believe he's a damn good back-up, but there's just no way that he's as polished, and gifted as Wilson.
it's pure speculation that we'd have been every bit as successful last Season with Jackson at the helm.

Who's saying Jackson isn't much of a drop-off from Wilson? The drop-off is huge there. Wilson is a top-five starter. Jackson is probably a bottom-five starter. The difference is quite evident. The only thing I've seen anyone saying is that he's a big improvement over anyone else's backup, so unless we're trying to bring in another team's starter to back Wilson up, we're better sticking with Jackson.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":qj8algho said:
rideaducati":qj8algho said:
:34853_doh: I have no idea what some of you guys see with Tarvaris and I never will. The guy is AWFUL as a QB...awful.

2013 Jackson was far better than 2011 Jackson. Maybe because 2011 Jackson played injured almost the whole year. And he still went 7-9 with that team, throwing to Doug Baldwin, Deon Butler, Ricardo Lockette, Benjamin Obomanu, and Golden Tate, none of which had yet proven anything at all in the league.

That year was also the rookie year for K.J. Wright, Richard Sherman, Byron Maxwell, and Malcolm Smith, all of which were nowhere near the players they are now for this team. The 2011 team around him then was nowhere near what it is now.

I think what some of us see in him is a top-32 quarterback willing to take less to be a backup for the Super Bowl Champion Seattle Seahawks than try and start elsewhere for a loser. He isn't who any of us would want as our starting quarterback all year, but to have him available to come in and keep us in the hunt if Wilson should go down for a stretch during the season, well, that's a pretty good place to be, all things considered.

2013 Jackson was better because he only had 39 snaps all season with zero starts. If Tarvaris had only taken 39 snaps in 2011, that year would have been good too.

Throwdown

Reaction score
People really over exaggerate TJack's performance in 2011, and I'll never understand why. He wasn't that bad in anyway, he was just as good and sometimes better than the guy we had a year prior, check the stats, same record n everything.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
TJ! would be an upgrade at starter for half the teams in this league. We're lucky to have RW3 but if we didn't I have no doubt that TJ! could take us deep into the playoffs.

scifly

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":3f82502o said:
TJ! would be an upgrade at starter for half the teams in this league. We're lucky to have RW3 but if we didn't I have no doubt that TJ! could take us deep into the playoffs.

Thanks for the laugh

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":1cexgap2 said:
Please give me what you're sniffing it sounds seriously awesome.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":1kwbf2xj said:
True story!

I could see it. If he stays out of the way and manages the 1 TD per game average that he finished 2011 with, the defense and running game might finish the job. The Super Bowl is another question.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":1to414yr said:
^ you obviously missed the command and poise he showed in the pocket this year with every opportunity that he got.

2013 T-Jack was much much better than 2011 T-Jack. The Seahawks would have been 9-10 win team with him at the helm.

It also leads me to believe more so that Russell Wilson is an infectious Champion.

Not sure I Agree with 9-10 wins we also had a harder schedule that new did in 2011, however at 9-10 wins we miss the playoffs

Anthony!

Reaction score
Throwdown":1h0xmdbw said:
TJack would've got us to the NFCCG, at minimum

only if the other teams all did not show up, there is no way he gets us to the NFCG

Anthony!

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":1rap09t1 said:
rideaducati":1rap09t1 said:
:34853_doh: I have no idea what some of you guys see with Tarvaris and I never will. The guy is AWFUL as a QB...awful.

2013 Jackson was far better than 2011 Jackson. Maybe because 2011 Jackson played injured almost the whole year. And he still went 7-9 with that team, throwing to Doug Baldwin, Deon Butler, Ricardo Lockette, Benjamin Obomanu, and Golden Tate, none of which had yet proven anything at all in the league.

That year was also the rookie year for K.J. Wright, Richard Sherman, Byron Maxwell, and Malcolm Smith, all of which were nowhere near the players they are now for this team. The 2011 team around him then was nowhere near what it is now.

I think what some of us see in him is a top-32 quarterback willing to take less to be a backup for the Super Bowl Champion Seattle Seahawks than try and start elsewhere for a loser. He isn't who any of us would want as our starting quarterback all year, but to have him available to come in and keep us in the hunt if Wilson should go down for a stretch during the season, well, that's a pretty good place to be, all things considered.

yeah not too 32, but top 10 back up for sure

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I would take T-Jack as my starter over Carson Palmer (this one's close), Thad Lewis/EJ Manuel, Jason Campbell, Chad Henne, Matt Cassell, Geno Smith, Terrelle Pryor/McGloin, Ryan Fitzpatrick/Jake Locker...all guys who were the starter for their team last year.

So maybe not half the league, but that's 8 teams I would replace who they have with T-Jack.

mikeak

Reaction score
Cost to performance ratio is what in am looking at. Minimum requirement - ability to keep us in hint for wildcard if RW is out for five games at a reasonable rate

I think T-Jack checks that box...

Anthony!

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":1bea4a68 said:

LOL great one, one of the funniest I have heard LOL

OP
OP
Seahawk Sailor

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
HawkFan72":3s2w6dae said:
I would take T-Jack as my starter over Carson Palmer (this one's close), Thad Lewis/EJ Manuel, Jason Campbell, Chad Henne, Matt Cassell, Geno Smith, Terrelle Pryor/McGloin, Ryan Fitzpatrick/Jake Locker...all guys who were the starter for their team last year.

So maybe not half the league, but that's 8 teams I would replace who they have with T-Jack.

That sounds like top-32 to me.

Cartire

Reaction score
A good backup wins half the games he starts. That's the standard. TJax could go 2-2 easily if RW was down 4 games. That's what we need and have.

Anybody else here reaching for some backup allstar needs to get over it. We're talking about backup QBs and TJax is better then almost all the rest. End of discussion.

If RW went down for half the season, I would rather have TJax then BJ Daniels. Without even debating it.

mikeak

Reaction score
T-Jack brings one other thing if he gets signed.

He has been the starter, he has been cut - he has gone from team to team. If he re-signs here he understands and accepts his role - he is the BACKUP. Nothing more nothing less

I think any young upcoming guy will try to be more and while the compete mantra is good it can also lead to discontent and dissatisfaction by the player. Wanting to get traded etc. This is the one position where you only have one guy and second best can cause problems.

Those problems won't come with T-Jack. So if there is a marginally better young guy I still say go for T-Jack. it won't be a revolving door of losing young guys to other teams.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
rideaducati":dgwxpb58 said:
WestcoastSteve":dgwxpb58 said:
Seanhawk":dgwxpb58 said:
Or maybe he's finally realized that he's a below average QB.

He's not a starter on a playoff team but he's definitely not a below average a QB. Name 5 better backup QB's in the NFL.

McCown, Hasselbeck, Flynn, Vick, Cousins, Orton, Mallett... I'm sure there are more, but these are the ones just off the top of my head.

McCown yes. Vick was a starter at the beginning of last year.

I would take TJACK over Hass (He makes 4 or 5 mill last time I checked) Flynn (noodle arm) Cousins, Orton and Mallett, the numbers back me up on that. When you consider salaries with the exception of Cousins who is on his rookie deal it's not even close.

Latest posts