Talk to me about Jacob Eason

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
All the recent chat has been about Lock, Geno and Mayfield but I wonder what we have with the ex-husky. I would imagine he's quite well known to posters on here.

I saw some Colts pre season highlights and I thought the dude looked perfectly serviceable.

I wonder if we have a true competition whether the former 5 star recruit might have a chance to shine.

ryank24

Reaction score
I'm a husky fan, so I'd love to see him pan out, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

He's super talented with a great arm, but all he knows how to do is throw the 100 mph fastball. It always seemed like he should have been better than he was when he played at UW. Another year in college probably would have been a good thing for his development. He played a full season as a true freshman for Georgia, then got injured at the start of his sophomore year and didn't get to play again, then had to sit out a season when he transferred, then had 1 (somewhat disappointing) season for UW before entering the draft.

I like having him on the depth chart because I think there's potential there with the tools he has. Maybe with some consistent coaching he could develop into a solid player. But right now I wouldn't expect him to be anything more than a backup...which I guess means he should fit right into the QB competition going on lol

sdog1981

Reaction score
He just throws the ball hard on every pass.

Attachments

• WxDy.gif
    WxDy.gif
    580.6 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Lack of pocket awareness, limited mobility, no touch on his passes

Is on an NFL roster due to a big arm, but his positive attributes end there.

Chuckwow

Reaction score
I'm a husky fan, so I'd love to see him pan out, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

He's super talented with a great arm, but all he knows how to do is throw the 100 mph fastball. It always seemed like he should have been better than he was when he played at UW. Another year in college probably would have been a good thing for his development. He played a full season as a true freshman for Georgia, then got injured at the start of his sophomore year and didn't get to play again, then had to sit out a season when he transferred, then had 1 (somewhat disappointing) season for UW before entering the draft.

I like having him on the depth chart because I think there's potential there with the tools he has. Maybe with some consistent coaching he could develop into a solid player. But right now I wouldn't expect him to be anything more than a backup...which I guess means he should fit right into the QB competition going on lol
Also a hardcore Dawg fan, I 100% echo your thoughts here. Can't recall who we were playing but we were at home for his first start. He threw a deep ball down the hashmarks that took my breath away. It was a rope and I hadn't seen a ball thrown with that velocity since Locker was over-throwing his receivers years ago (lol). Man, that was an Elway / Favre throw. But they grew far and few in between and it was also clear he was having difficulty reading coverages. Seems like everyone in our section is "in the know" or has some inside intel and the general consensus was that he wasn't "football smart". True or not, you're right, he needed another year and we needed him just as badly. Pains me to think Pete let Haener walk for one-and-done Eason.

Can he pull it together? So far few seem to think so. Maybe he should go work with Dilfer. I never much cared for Dilfer, the pedestrian QB, but apparently he's known to be a "QB whisperer". I wish the young man well. So many tangibles.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Eason had incredible physical tools.

But my god he made poor decisions. He also tended to react very poorly to pressure.

Jake Browning didn't have a great arm, and he tended to throw balls up that floated often. But nothing made me appreciate Jake more than a year with Eason.

I was pretty excited about getting Eason, but once we got him - I realized why he didn't win the position at Georgia.

Not sure what the plan is with him, and I like to see local kids do well here. Any plan that involves using him as even a backup, better hope his mental makeup changed since.

One of the bigger disappointments as a QB as a Husky that I can recall.

Chuckwow

Reaction score
I totally agree, Dawg Fan. And I hope to hell we're not saying the same thing about Sam a few years from now. Shudder to think.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Eason was the worst Husky QB to watch in a generation. A guy who you felt like had the tools but absolutely none of the awareness. He has no football instincts. Geno Smith is infinitely better.

CPHawk

Reaction score
If he was a legit NFL QB, he wouldn’t have been cut by a team in need of a QB.