Steve Gleason & Pearl Jam

danbogart

Reaction score
Didn't see this posted anywhere. Damn good feature they had on ESPN the other day. Couldn't imagine going through what he is going through.

[youtube]uZ8iwHT1hJM[/youtube]

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Yea that was really touching. For all the crap it spews out, its nice to see ESPN do awesome stuff like this piece

C-Dub

Reaction score
Great guy and such a great story!

We retired his # at G-Prep last week. No white flags!

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
That was pretty powerful video. No white flags... love it. Hearing Eddie talk about not knowing his dad and finding the tapes, his dad was a good singer. wow

Anyone ever think Pearl Jam doesn't get the respect they deserve? They get so overshadowed by Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, I almost feel like they're not mentioned as much as other Seattle sound bands. But for 23 years(which is amazing) they've just been doing their thing and putting out amazing music.

I just respect those guys and their music so much.

OP
OP
D

danbogart

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":288h3mzk said:
That was pretty powerful video. No white flags... love it. Hearing Eddie talk about not knowing his dad and finding the tapes, his dad was a good singer. wow

Anyone ever think Pearl Jam doesn't get the respect they deserve? They get so overshadowed by Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, I almost feel like they're not mentioned as much as other Seattle sound bands. But for 23 years(which is amazing) they've just been doing their thing and putting out amazing music.

I just respect those guys and their music so much.

Their lead singer didn't die. I know Chris Cornell didn't die, but Soundgarden just wasn't on the same level as the other three (even though I think they were more talented than Nirvana). Layne Staley was incredibly talented and Nirvana took Seattle grunge mainstream. I'm not a big fan of Nirvana, but without them, I don't think pearl Jam would be nearly as successful as they have been.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Interesting seeing people debate the big 4 bands out of Seattle. For me Nirvana was the least talented and AIC the least enjoyable to listen to. When they were good, they were really good but there way too many heroin sludge songs for my ears. Soundgarden is my favorite of the 4. Agree though that without Nirvana breaking out first, the other three might not go worldwide.

As for the piece on ESPN, it was amazing. My wife and I saw it a few days back and were riveted to the screen.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":kcw38iw2 said:

How on earth do you see Soundgarden overshadowing PJ? I've always been in the SG camp, but it seems to me PJ and Nirvana HEAVILY overshadowed SG, which I don't have a problem with, music IS subjective, afterall.

SeaTown81

Reaction score
Wow, that was great.

After the Hawks game in Houston, I went to New Orleans for MNF a few weeks back. I noticed a bunch of fans wearing Gleason jerseys. Didn't quite know who he was or why they were wearing it. Then on my way out of the stadium I walked past the statue of Gleason blocking the punt in the 1st game back after Katrina. It's clear what a moment that was to the city. The funny thing was I also knew of their former player with ALS, but didn't connect the dots that it was the same guy. Makes even more sense why so many fans were wearing the guy's jersey. And I had no clue he was from Spokane.

As for Pearl Jam and the level of respect they get. I think it's a bit crazy to say they were overshadowed by Soundgarden or Alice in Chains. On a national level Pearl Jam got much more attention and accolades. Locally it was a bit different. And a lot of that is due to the fact that Eddie Vedder wasn't from Seattle, and only moved up here when he first joined Pearl Jam. His spot in Seattle music history is just as important as Cobain, Cornell, or Staley. But there were a lot of people who didn't consider Pearl Jam as authentically "Seattle" as the other 3 bands. But that was just in Seattle. Outside Seattle, Pearl Jam most definitely got the bigger following. Maybe that might be part of it too. Pearl Jam had the most corporate success over a long period of time. So that might have caused some to turn on them a bit. I dunno.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Interesting comments guys, guess my perception on the issue was a little off. And that's good in this case! :thirishdrinkers:

IronSaint

Reaction score
Yeah, Steve is practically a martyr down here. So tragic what he's have to go through, after having a body physically capable of playing in the NFL, to being forced to watch it slowly deteriorate and fail him. His wife, Michel, is the true definition of a 'saint', the way she has been strong through all this.

#NoWhiteFlags

C-Dub

Reaction score
IronSaint":2x4yee2v said:
Yeah, Steve is practically a martyr down here. So tragic what he's have to go through, after having a body physically capable of playing in the NFL, to being forced to watch it slowly deteriorate and fail him. His wife, Michel, is the true definition of a 'saint', the way she has been strong through all this.

#NoWhiteFlags
I think that's awesome how much he means to you guys down in NO. He was pretty dang good at baseball too. Just a tremendous athlete. Makes you realize you cannot take things for granted.

On a side note, I'm pretty sure it was a story on Gleason that led to the whole Bounty Gate thing too.

Axx

Reaction score
one day there will be a cure for everything.....

IronSaint

Reaction score
C-Dub":1z6qt6ee said:
I think that's awesome how much he means to you guys down in NO. He was pretty dang good at baseball too. Just a tremendous athlete. Makes you realize you cannot take things for granted.

On a side note, I'm pretty sure it was a story on Gleason that led to the whole Bounty Gate thing too.

Thanks, man. We owe it to him for him helping lift up this city of ours in its darkest hour, to try and raise as much awareness as possible for the cause.

And yeah, Sean Pamphilon, or whatever the hell the little dweeb's name was, that was doing Gleason's story was the one who released the Gregg Williams tapes from the pre-NFC Divisional Game defensive team meeting lead to the witch hunt known as "Bountygate", and ultimately picking us as the sacrificial lamb to provide enough damage control to protect Goodell and the NFL's pockets from the looming concussion lawsuit. Sucks.

Axx":1z6qt6ee said:
one day there will be a cure for everything.....

We can only hope, man. We can only hope. :thirishdrinkers: