Specifics about Bevell and the playcalling

Mick063

Reaction score
More I formation please. More play action passes off of the I formation please. More quick slants and outs please (since the offensive line can't block for more than 2.5 seconds). More bunch formations, getting the ball into Harvin's hands through rub routes please.

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/gbellseattle/status/521501538540220417[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/521512441600311296[/tweet]

mistaowen

Reaction score
Jville":37fy50z5 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/gbellseattle/status/521501538540220417[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/521512441600311296[/tweet]

When we finally were getting some fluidity on offense by giving Marshawn the ball, we run with Turbin on 1st and then Harvin (up the middle) resulting in once again a very long 3rd down. Even if Marshawn was tired from the previous runs, leave him out there and run play action to at least keep the defense honest. Good god the play calling was atrocious.

AgentDib

Reaction score
This was the worst offensive game plan of the year for sure. We obviously should have used Lynch a lot more unless his back was acting up, he did walk back on the field super slowly once but with him that could mean anything.

That being said, how many times did we run 3 receiver sets where Russell either couldn't find a target or the receiver couldn't make the catch? If you had told me before the game that we would have a dozen one on one opportunities down field I would have been happy with that.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
LoneHawkFan":1b903184 said:
If we can't design 5-15 yd 3-step drop passes for Percy Harvin, ADB, and Kearse, then we have a problem. If we can't get our speed downfield on a bootleg, then we have a problem. If we continue to run sweeps, then we have a huge problem.

Specifically, Percy Harvin needs to be in space, not behind the line of scrimmage. Get him on a 10-15yd crosser behind the backers and let him turn on the burners. Seriously, go back and look at film from Minnesota. I promise that, contrary to popular belief, HE RECEIVED THE BALL DOWNFIELD. Furthermore,fricking Christian Ponder was able to deliver it to him there. We have a huge problem if we can't boot Russell out and find 2-3 WRs in space 10-25 yds downfield with the speed we have at that position.

Yup. I said during the game: "I find it extremely hard to believe that these CBs are able to stick to Harvin with no separation on every single play he's out there."

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Its not Bevell's fault bc Miller and Bailey is banged up but you still have Gilliam.

I want to see more 2 TE sets + a FB lined up in front of Lynch. Run it down their throats.... over and over again.

I don't want to see Bryan Walters gain -2 yards on the most obvious play ever.

I tried to stay neutral on Bevell as most of the time it is an execution problem but this gimmick stuff isn't working. Seahawks offense needs substance and it might be boring and obvious but the run, run, pass was actually a decent game plan no matter how frustrating it got because when the Seahawks actually dialed up the gimmick plays... they worked with big time results.

chris98251

Reaction score
Bevell fell in love with the success but forgot how it was successful.

It's suppose to be a surprise, it's not a surprise anymore when it has been run 50 times since the beginning of the year, they are not changing the look or circumstances when it is run. Easy to cheat to the side Harvin is moving to or sets up when he's in the backfield or behind the line of scrimmage so you have 5 or more men on him to prevent his moves from breaking out.

It's also not a surprise when you give him the ball in those situations 3 out of 5 times he's on the field, it's predictable.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
sam1313":1rs5p58g said:
Twisted Husky wrote this in another topic, but I think it fits well:

TwistedHusky wrote:
Okay then how stupid is the OC?

We have an NFL that pretty much broadcast that it was going to do everything it could to give the benefit of the doubt to the offense. Physical play by the defense was going to be curtailed and more penalties would be called on defenders making contact.

You mean like when that Dallas defender didn't get called for that face mask, contact?, or the non call for the arm around the back of our Receiver, and pulling on his jersey?
That's been a one way street for our Receivers in the last two games....Lot's of non-calls, until our opponents are sniveling about it, and getting the Ref's to yank out their hankies on our Defense.

NorCalSeahawkFan

Reaction score
God I miss Mack Strong. If were not going to use Harvin. Dump him and find another fullback or recever that will work in a in your face were going to run you over player. I mean hell if the defence already knows what you are going to do, then just tell them to try and stop it. This cute we are to try and fake you out crap is not working. So how about some in your face plays.
Harvin just cant do it, he would get broke in half.

themunn

Reaction score
I think Bevell had a few bad playcalls but I put this game on Wilson and Wilson alone.
The Walters option? Bad playcall. The decision to throw it to him when he was completely covered and behind the LOS? ABSURD.

At one point during the game the announcers started talking about how Wilson's receivers just weren't getting open on a 2nd down where he ran OB at the LOS, but then showed the replay and every one of them was covered, but aside from one players (Walters again I think), was open enough that a well played pass would have been a gain.

Personally I think the risk-aversion to throwing interceptions is working against us. It's good to retain possession, but I'd rather run the risk of giving the ball away a couple of times a game but also earning big plays than giving it away because we're punting punting punting.

Last year it worked because the defense was lights out, this year the defense is being gashed on a regular basis, so the field position game is becoming less important.

What difference does it make giving the ball to the opposition on the 40 or the 5 if they score a TD at the end of the drive anyway?

Latest posts