Specifics about Bevell and the playcalling

pehawk

Reaction score
I know it's not what you asked for, because it's not specifics, but I'm pretty damn done seeing a team which built a line out of ZBS grapplers, deciding to go empty sets. Kind of defeats the entire purpose and identity, right? And this team, specifically the offense, sure does like to buck conventional wisdom, for bucking conventional wisdoms sake.

This sure felt like a game, THE GAME in 2014, you have a disadvantage DL vs Opp. OL. So, at least to this drugged out nobody, you'd sure think you want to keep their offense off the field.

Nothing Bevell does makes sense or seems to be relevant to the game itself. It sure seems like there's a severe lack of situational or Tao understanding going on.

2012 Bevell and the Seahawks seemed to lose quite a few games with Lynch averaging 5+ YPC. Even games where Lynch averaged over 7 YPC on 1st down.

HawkWow

Reaction score
It always starts with O-line. For every Fire Bevell thread, there should be 2 for Tom cable.

Bevell (and many here) felt Harvin was some magic potion and his very essence would mask our inferior O-line. It don't work that way and Dallas shoved that fact down our throats today. Great teams build from the inside out, not from the outside in. Last year was an absolute aberration and for all the accolades, we are very fortunate to have a banner.

The good news is we are still young enough to regroup, recover and rebound. But a shake-up will be mandatory and the release of Cable and Okung would be a sensible 1st step, imo.

pehawk

Reaction score
HawkWow":qa8v9vpb said:
It always starts with O-line. For every Fire Bevell thread, there should be 2 for Tom cable.

Bevell (and many here) felt Harvin was some magic potion and his very essence would mask our inferior O-line. It don't work that way and Dallas shoved that fact down our throats today. Great teams build from the inside out, not from the outside in. Last year was an absolute aberration and for all the accolades, we are very fortunate to have a banner.

The good news is we are still young enough to regroup, recover and rebound. But a shake-up will be mandatory and the release of Cable and Okung would be a sensible 1st step, imo.

Not sure what you're watching, but our OLine is playing fine. I think the Oline criticism has become as much a hack criticism as I've seen on here. It's just not based in reality, truly. Wilson had all day, ALOT. Lynch's YPC are good/great.

Largent80

Reaction score
I'll flip this around and say, tell me what Bevell did that was right?

Handing the ball to Lynch is the obvious one, but why so infrequently in the 1st half?

Bevell was garbage today and added nothing to give us a chance to win. Atrocious.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Largent80":tkw1icj2 said:
I'll flip this around and say, tell me what Bevell did that was right?

Handing the ball to Lynch is the obvious one, but why so infrequently in the 1st half?

Bevell was garbage today and added nothing to give us a chance to win. Atrocious.

As a guy who hates criticizing play calling, hard to disagree today.

With a terrible pass blocking OL and other than the occasional deep jump ball to Kearse, there is nobody on the roster like Dez Bryant and other big time receivers who can constantly make plays even if not open. The empty sets without the threat to ML puts way too much pressure on Wilson. How about some normal draw plays, I formation etc....

EDIT: Remember when he is criticized for being to boring and predictable? He needs to find that balance of good hardnosed ML rushes sprinkled in with the sugar to Harvin, Wilson etc.

right now he ain't fooling anybody.

davidonmi

Reaction score
pehawk":qsj347ml said:
HawkWow":qsj347ml said:

Not sure what you're watching, but our OLine is playing fine. I think the Oline criticism has become as much a hack criticism as I've seen on here. It's just not based in reality, truly. Wilson had all day, ALOT. Lynch's YPC are good/great.
Lynch makes the oline look good. Look what happens when Turbin comes in

hawk45

Reaction score
red grenadine":1jebaixn said:
The Walters option pass play in the backfield alone is a fire able offense
I thought bevell was trolling or trying to get fired at that point. Could not have been a serious playcall.

Smellyman

Reaction score
davidonmi":2wlr6kab said:
pehawk":2wlr6kab said:
HawkWow":2wlr6kab said:

Lynch makes the oline look good. Look what happens when Turbin comes in

Exactly. ML turning one yard carries into 4 yard carries isn't good run blocking. Add in RW being a top 30 rusher going into this game, makes it look even better. An the pass blocking.......

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
hawk45":2l2w284t said:
1) Nearly every throw (maybe actually every throw) directed at Harvin behind the LOS.
2) No Lynch in the first half when most of our passing is PA based. How can that work.
3) Oh here's how, with empty sets!!! Yay!!! No Lynch at all to make linebackers or DBs hesitate in coverage and help wideouts get open, DL can just tee off and DBs and LBs can just sit in coverage and blanket our WRs. Harvin can get separation on a slant but no worries there because we won't ever throw to him in an actual route
4) What in God's name does a behind LOS flip to Walters accomplish when it isn't even working with Harvin? Worst play call I have ever seen.
5) Finally after 3 quarters handoff to Lynch, big gain first down. Next 2 plays we:
-handoff to Turbin
-handoff to Percy up the middle. That's capitalizing on Harvin's strengths alright
...leading to the inevitable punt.
6) Percy is on the sidelines on many 3rd and long plays, probably because they don't have anything in the playbook for him that is north-south.
REALLY good post 45. Think you nailed a bunch of stuff here.

red grenadine

Reaction score
hawk45":d0x1tqmn said:
1) Nearly every throw (maybe actually every throw) directed at Harvin behind the LOS.
2) No Lynch in the first half when most of our passing is PA based. How can that work.
3) Oh here's how, with empty sets!!! Yay!!! No Lynch at all to make linebackers or DBs hesitate in coverage and help wideouts get open, DL can just tee off and DBs and LBs can just sit in coverage and blanket our WRs. Harvin can get separation on a slant but no worries there because we won't ever throw to him in an actual route
4) What in God's name does a behind LOS flip to Walters accomplish when it isn't even working with Harvin? Worst play call I have ever seen.
5) Finally after 3 quarters handoff to Lynch, big gain first down. Next 2 plays we:
-handoff to Turbin
-handoff to Percy up the middle. That's capitalizing on Harvin's strengths alright
...leading to the inevitable punt.
6) Percy is on the sidelines on many 3rd and long plays, probably because they don't have anything in the playbook for him that is north-south.

Winner winner chicken dinner

SeaDiddy

Reaction score
1) The lack of running like most have said. Lynch's physical running wears down the defense and opens up the passing.
2) The misdirection sweep plays are great when nobody is expecting them. Problem is, they've run them so much, everybody expects them. Dallas was prepared for them, and you could see that. I understand that they are trying to take advantage of the opponent's weakness, but sometimes you just have to line up and run it down their throat to show that you are tougher than them, and you aren't going to take their s***.
3) I think they might be giving Russell Wilson too much as far as the offense goes. Everyone knows he hands the ball to Percy/Lynch based on what certain defensive players do. If the defense knows that, they can essentially control what our offense does.
4) Empty backfield drive me crazy with this offense. You are basically telling the defense there's no chance of us running. We aren't the Broncos. We don't play that kind of offense.
5) Someone needs to tell Bevell that your QB isn't supposed to be your leading rusher.
6) We don't throw the ball in the middle of the field.
7) The offense doesn't seem to be able to make adjustments as the game goes on.
8) This isn't necessarily related to Bevell, or just this game, but the officiating in the NFL has gotten to the point where I don't even want to watch. I don't understand why the NFL wants defensive holding and illegal contact called every other passing play. Especially when you've got Sherman being called for not even touching a receiver, and other guys not being called for dragging receivers to the ground. It's really starting to take away from the game for me.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Question: How does he justify the all-world running back touching the ball 3 or 4 times in the first half in a close game against a decent+ team?. (Said all-world running back is the stated [by coaches and executives] setter of tone and culture on the offense.)

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":udraf4eu said:
The comment about peeling WRs would make sense if there was any chance our team would get calls for DPI.
Bingo. Dallas was fouling on every play and never called.

iigakusei

Reaction score
Not that I am hoping he gets hurt by any stretch of the imagination - but would like to see our offense with no Percy for a game. Would we be more direct? Less cute?

frosted21

Reaction score
hawk45":13ysbq2i said:

Harvin is, and has always been, a poor route runner. He's amazing with the ball in his hands, but his struggles in reading coverages and adjusting his routes are his Achilles heel. Truly, Doug Baldwin is a better pure receiver than Harvin is. Percy has enormous physical gifts, though.

OP
OP
Tical21

Tical21

Reaction score
Good stuff folks. I still want to see what the heck was going on against the blitz. 75% of the time that a team sends 5 guys, you're going to get man with a single-high safety, or a 3 deep, 3 underneath coverage. For almost two and half seasons, we have failed to find the holes in these defenses. I don't know how we can be so inept against man. I'm not going to blame it on the lack of rub routes. When I was coaching, I was told that if I ran rub routes I would be fired. There are many other ways to beat man coverage. We typically prefer crossing routes and hitches, which is fine, we're just really bad at them evidently. I still can't tell if the receivers aren't getting open or if Russell just can't identify or just can't let it go.

I would have liked to run it more. It is funny, everybody complains when we go run-run-pass, but the reality is that when we do this, we end up in 3rd and manageable all game long. Today, we didn't run first, and ended up in 3rd and long all day. Even if we did run a lot more, with 9 minutes of offense in the first half or whatever, Marshawn wasn't going to get any more than five carries. Don't forget, a lot of you have been begging for the past couple of years to open up the offense and throw it more. We can't have it both ways.

We can't run with a fullback. The rest of the time we're stuck in shotgun and the run plays we can run are very limited. Don't know what to try next.

Jville

Reaction score
Curtis Crabtree offers this ...... it feels like the Seahawks are trying to mold their offense around Percy Harvin instead of having Harvin fit into Seattle's offense.

The Seahawks have no offensive identity.

Everyone knew what Seattle's offense was all about on the way to their Super Bowl XLVIII victory last season.

Marshawn Lynch pounded the ball in the running game and the Seahawks set up play-action opportunities downfield for explosive plays.

The 2014 Seahawks? Tell me when you figure out what their identity is because I've got no idea what it is.

In both of Seattle's losses, Lynch has received 10 carries or fewer.

Meanwhile, it feels like the Seahawks are trying to mold their offense around Percy Harvin instead of having Harvin fit into Seattle's offense.

Harvin found no success Sunday. He had three carries for -1 yards and had three catches for zero yards.

While winning three of their first four games, the offense never looked in-sync either, but it could be viewed as growing pains as long as the team was still winning. A loss, at home nonetheless, changes the focus.

Are they a running/play-action team? Sometimes. Are they a bubble screen, fly sweep, tunnel screen team? Sometimes. Are they a spread passing team? Sometimes, all with varying degrees of success.

"How many carries did Marshawn have?" a Seahawks player pondered after the game. "Couldn't have been more than 10. We don't run. We don't win."

Lynch had only two instances all game where he received carries on consecutive plays. A two-play sequence in the third quarter and a three-play sequence in the fourth quarter. He was given no opportunity to get the offense into a rhythm.

The Seahawks knew who they were a year ago. It was Lynch and everyone else offensively worked off of the strong running game. Until Seattle returns to that approach, they may continue to struggle offensively.

Read more: http://www.sportsradiokjr.com/articles/ ... z3FzjmExSS

Rob12

Reaction score
Yxes1122":1jmuiklb said:
I just want to ease away from the read option a little. It's a fantastic tool but I think we are becoming a little too dependent on it. Dallas had the Harvin screens and runs completely shut down all day. It's funny, I wanted more of this wrinkle last year when it seemed like all we did was run run, PA deep. But I hate how we've gotten so far away from it in the first few weeks.

I'd like us to try and get a little of our deep ball mojo back. We had so many close completions going deep today when the short game just wasn't there. The other thing I'd like to see a little more is TEs. Willson could be a great receiver for us but it just seems like we have to wait till the game is un-winnable to start using him (or Miller).

The option to Walters, the Harvin runs (which consistently put us in 3rd and long) and the stupid 5 yard slant on 3rd and 11 to Lockette in particular were aggravating.

Willson could be a huge weapon if he could catch the ball consistently, especially in traffic.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Jville":3trvlr51 said:
Curtis Crabtree offers this ...... it feels like the Seahawks are trying to mold their offense around Percy Harvin instead of having Harvin fit into Seattle's offense.

The Seahawks have no offensive identity.

Everyone knew what Seattle's offense was all about on the way to their Super Bowl XLVIII victory last season.

Marshawn Lynch pounded the ball in the running game and the Seahawks set up play-action opportunities downfield for explosive plays.

The 2014 Seahawks? Tell me when you figure out what their identity is because I've got no idea what it is.

In both of Seattle's losses, Lynch has received 10 carries or fewer.

Meanwhile, it feels like the Seahawks are trying to mold their offense around Percy Harvin instead of having Harvin fit into Seattle's offense.

Harvin found no success Sunday. He had three carries for -1 yards and had three catches for zero yards.

While winning three of their first four games, the offense never looked in-sync either, but it could be viewed as growing pains as long as the team was still winning. A loss, at home nonetheless, changes the focus.

Are they a running/play-action team? Sometimes. Are they a bubble screen, fly sweep, tunnel screen team? Sometimes. Are they a spread passing team? Sometimes, all with varying degrees of success.

"How many carries did Marshawn have?" a Seahawks player pondered after the game. "Couldn't have been more than 10. We don't run. We don't win."

Lynch had only two instances all game where he received carries on consecutive plays. A two-play sequence in the third quarter and a three-play sequence in the fourth quarter. He was given no opportunity to get the offense into a rhythm.

The Seahawks knew who they were a year ago. It was Lynch and everyone else offensively worked off of the strong running game. Until Seattle returns to that approach, they may continue to struggle offensively.

Read more: http://www.sportsradiokjr.com/articles/ ... z3FzjmExSS
Hard to disagree with him. Beast Mode is the heartbeat of the team