Source: Wilson on a "One-Year Audition" for Payton/Broncos

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
The broncos would have to eat $49m in additional cap hit after next season to move on. Russ is staying until 2025 at a minimum.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
He doesn’t have The option of actually not being there. He will have to serve as qb2 as His contract mandates it.
He can do that or they can cut him at a big loss..It depends if SP wants
anything to do with him at all after next season.
He's getting paid no matter what unless he retired but he said he wants
to play till 45yrs old :ROFLMAO:

Own The West

Reaction score
I think RW is going to have a real comeback season. Not because of anything he's done, but because Payton has already served notice that he's the coach and isn't going to tolerate any 'princess' behavior. RW is going to have to play the position the way he's told to or he's not going to play.

My guess is Russ is going to be on the move and rolling out a lot more next season.

toffee

Reaction score
I think the Payton and Wilson will not end well, for one reason:. Wilson's fragile psyche, there's a fragile little Wilma living inside Mr. Unlimited.

Peter knew that and how to manage Wilma, Two cases:

1. Criticism to Wilson was forbidden, to protect that fragile psyche.
2. 12 were, shall we say, encouraged to boo Wilson, to needle that fragile psyche. There were reports that Broncos teammates waited hour for Wilma to gather herself after the game.
3. Though out last season, Pete needled Wilma again and again, to excellent result.

Fast forward to Payton, either a. he didn't know about that little girl, or b. he wanted that little girl to cry for the next season. Just so he could get rid of Wilson for good.

My money on B, Payton knew, he also knew the diva persona to hide the little girl, he knew the back stabbing to Pete. He knew a successful Wilson will one day make his life hell. Yes Payton wanted to get rid of Wilson, and he started with pee pee on that little Wilma.

James in PA

Reaction score
I think the Payton and Wilson will not end well, for one reason:. Wilson's fragile psyche, there's a fragile little Wilma living inside Mr. Unlimited.

Peter knew that and how to manage Wilma, Two cases:

1. Criticism to Wilson was forbidden, to protect that fragile psyche.
2. 12 were, shall we say, encouraged to boo Wilson, to needle that fragile psyche. There were reports that Broncos teammates waited hour for Wilma to gather herself after the game.
3. Though out last season, Pete needled Wilma again and again, to excellent result.

Fast forward to Payton, either a. he didn't know about that little girl, or b. he wanted that little girl to cry for the next season. Just so he could get rid of Wilson for good.

My money on B, Payton knew, he also knew the diva persona to hide the little girl, he knew the back stabbing to Pete. He knew a successful Wilson will one day make his life hell. Yes Payton wanted to get rid of Wilson, and he started with pee pee on that little Wilma.
Speaking of Pete, Rich Eisen asked him today if he thinks there will come a day down the road when Russ comes back for a ceremony or whatever and fans and former teammates embrace him. Pete sort of groans and proceeds to dance around the question. LOL! Pete really does dislike him some ME3.

Starts around the 2:25 mark:

toffee

Reaction score
Speaking of Pete, Rich Eisen asked him today if he thinks there will come a day down the road when Russ comes back for a ceremony or whatever and fans and former teammates embrace him. Pete sort of groans and proceeds to dance around the question. LOL! Pete really does dislike him some ME3.

When answering Eisen's question about Wilson, two words did not touch Carroll's lips : Russell Wilson.

Donn2390

Reaction score
Money is no object, Russ will never have any problem buying groceries, but his fall from the penthouse to the outhouse will destroy him mentally for the rest of his life. When he is in his 70's, he will still be waking up screaming in the middle of the night.

keasley45

Reaction score
When answering Eisen's question about Wilson, two words did not touch Carroll's lips : Russell Wilson.
But he did mention Geno Smith.

For Pete, the guy who was criticized heavily by players like ET and Sherm during their exits from the Hawks and NEVER harbored any ill will and remained positive about his guys, to not just say 'yeah, it was a hard thing but it will all pass

But he did find a way to mention Geno Smith...

It speaks volumes for a coach who is as forgiving as PC to be unwilling to speak on even the idea of doing so with Wilson. Also not surprising given the lengths Wilson went to to float his own ship at the expense of sinking others.

Cant wait to see what Payton does with Mr Unlimited.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score

Payton is gonna follow what Rosberg laid down. More naked boots and scrambling coupled with a stronger run game, plus no entourage and office just like Rosberg said.

Last edited:

Fade

Reaction score
Wilson looked pretty good at the end of the year, once Hackett was shown the door.

Hell, outside of the Rams game where he was coming off of a concussion. He looked good the final month of the season.

Sean Payton consistently gets the most out of his QBs, builds incredible offensive lines, and consistently schemes easy 1 read throws.

He'll bounce back next year. 30 TDs, 10 INTs, 100 Passer Rating, book it.

But yes, the football politics angle works out very well for Sean Payton. If Russ face plants again next season, even if he suffers an injury, or the O-Line and Receivers are injured, which they were last year, it won't be Sean Payton's fault, or injuries, but Wilson fault.

Wilson played with a partially torn lat on his throwing shoulder side and he looked absolutely awful through that stretch.
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34755364/sources-broncos-qb-russell-wilson-partially-torn-lat
His throws had no zip. Most of his velocity was back the final month of the year and he looked like his old self again. Just fatter and slower. He needs to lose 10-15 lbs. for sure.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
2024 the Broncos have options to move on. Doesn't matter who the coach is, if Russ plays in 2023 like he did in 2022 he'll be gone. I think he'll play well enough to stick around.

keasley45

Reaction score
Wilson looked pretty good at the end of the year, once Hackett was shown the door.

Hell, outside of the Rams game where he was coming off of a concussion. He looked good the final month of the season.

Sean Payton consistently gets the most out of his QBs, builds incredible offensive lines, and consistently schemes easy 1 read throws.

He'll bounce back next year. 30 TDs, 10 INTs, 100 Passer Rating, book it.

But yes, the football politics angle works out very well for Sean Payton. If Russ face plants again next season, even if he suffers an injury, or the O-Line and Receivers are injured, which they were last year, it won't be Sean Payton's fault, or injuries, but Wilson fault.

Wilson played with a partially torn lat on his throwing shoulder side and he looked absolutely awful through that stretch.
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34755364/sources-broncos-qb-russell-wilson-partially-torn-lat
His throws had no zip. Most of his velocity was back the final month of the year and he looked like his old self again. Just fatter and slower. He needs to lose 10-15 lbs. for sure.

He finished the year against KC and the Chargers. Against KC he was 50/50 td to int and passed for just over 200 yards. Better than his standard horrible? sure. Reason for hope? dont know.

He had a better game the following week against the chargers but they went into the game with a fractured lockeroom due to the HC forcing his starters to play... and then keeping them on the field for 2 1/2 qtrs while they lost key players to injury. That decision was a morale killer for that game and killed their season. So better? sure. He ran the type of plays he was accustomed to. But it wasnt like he was all of a sudden free of some overwhelming restriction that hindered his play.

So trying to pin his improvement on Hackett stepping aside is ignoring glaring holes in RWs game, irrespective of who is calling plays.

But yeah, if anyone can get him to success, its Payton. The question is whether he'll be able to tolerate a qb hamstringing his entire playbook to one read plays. I'm sure Russ will be more receptive to new play designs than he was with Shane Waldron, but Russ had at his disposal the same creativity on offense that got Geno to where he got last year and left it on the table.

But it will for certain be interesting to see what ol' #3 does and what his new HC has patience for.

Headed into 2022 i said Russ would be no more successful in Denver than he was in Seattle and worse if he was expected to run an A Rodgers type playbook. - that the only way hed succeed was if went back to being a dual threat qb. His season was a disaster.

2023 cant be any worse than 2022. I think if all is good trough the preseason and Payton isnt struggling to get Russ to understand which is his primary and secondary read the way Hackett was, that will be a good sign. Assuming that, i think like you said, Payton will put together the best 'simplified' read, run based, PA playbook one can script. Russ will probably start hot. The question is whether the well, as expanded as it might be with Payton, might still not be deep enough to not go dry when defenses understand that the way to beat RW in 2023 is the same way you beat him between 2018 and 2021.

I also think that Payton's priority will be as much about developing a dominant run game as it will weaving magic out of RW's hat.

Last edited:

James in PA

Reaction score
For Russ's sake, he better start admitting to himself that he was never as good as he thought he was and that he needs to do exactly what SP asks of him, otherwise he'll be a backup or out of league altogether.

Last edited:

Crizilla

Reaction score
Payton "doesn't like" Wilson???? Absolute non sense. Who knows how long Wilson has but Payton has been a fan of Russ and vice versa for a long time.

hawkfan68

Reaction score

I think it's more likely that Pete is annoyed at getting Russell Wilson questions asked since the said player has been off the team for a year now. I know if I were in Pete's shoes that would piss me off.

Hawknight

Reaction score
I think it's more likely that Pete is annoyed at getting Russell Wilson questions asked since the said player has been off the team for a year now. I know if I were in Pete's shoes that would piss me off.
Exactly..might as well field questions about Dave Krieg ...lol..glad Pete's standing his ground side stepping the Russ questions.