Some love for drafting receivers

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
We've gone over our first round misses and positions we haven't drafted well, but is one positive the way we've drafted receivers? All 4 of the WRs who caught TDs on Saturday are draft picks vs bringing in free agents or via trade. Even getting a TD out of a low round rookie like Swain is pretty cool.

On that note, am I the only one who thought that was Lockett at first?

AlciG

Reaction score
HawkRiderFan":ec0uypoq said:

I'm embarrassed to say you were not the only one :oops:

sutz

Reaction score
It was a very Lockett-like play, TBS. :mrgreen:

Have to agree. Given the propensity for WRs around the league to think rather highly of themselves, I am certainly tired of bringing in known divas and head cases that seem to fit some physical metrics and who succeeded in completely different systems. Not really down with older vets in this position group, either. As a team, our success rate with draftees seems to be much better than with FAs. The one WR trade that really worked was Largent, and that was 40+ years ago. Other than that, I can't remember much success bringing in FA/trading for WRs.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I'm a huge proponent of drafting WRs. Early and often. Same with RBs.

The college ranks are pumping out tons of quality talent every year. And high caliber NFL starting quality at that. From a roster build perspective, one could consider both of these position groups to be easily rostered with virtually nothing but rookie deal talent.

It's a roster efficiency aspect where you can cheat from a cap perspective with a very small (or non existent) decrease in effective play. While plowing cap dollars at other positions.

There are of course going to be rare combinations of physical traits/innate skill or just team fit. Baldwin/Lockett and now Metcalf come immediately to mind. But even so -- there is essentially a Metcalf type player taking on day 2/3 of virtually every draft.

The sweet spot seems to be picks 35-70. Looking at the last 6 drafts, it's crazy to see the ultimate value that comes from WRs in that range. Irrespective of all positions -- that's the range where you get the most bang for your draft buck. While focusing on slot type receiver talents on day 3.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
HawkRiderFan":n04l4tis said:
We've gone over our first round misses and positions we haven't drafted well, but is one positive the way we've drafted receivers? All 4 of the WRs who caught TDs on Saturday are draft picks vs bringing in free agents or via trade. Even getting a TD out of a low round rookie like Swain is pretty cool.

No Raible called the play as Lockett as well. Their size, running style, speed, and number are all
Similar, easy to confuse.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Baldwin, Lockett, Metcalf, Tate are all better than anything we drafted in the Holmgren era (sorry DJack but too many drops). in fact in our 30 odd seasons prior to JS, we had precisely 2 decent receivers that we drafted: Blades and Galloway.

So yes, 4th round receivers aside, JS is pretty decent at drafting WR's. Maybe not Pittsburgh good but definitely better than prior Seahawk GM's.

sc85sis

Reaction score
AlciG":2ejzzol0 said:
HawkRiderFan":2ejzzol0 said:

I'm embarrassed to say you were not the only one :oops:
Even Raibs thought it was Lockett initially. He corrected himself a moment or two later.

Mick063

Reaction score
Man.....

I can tell I am dating myself here but......Daryl Turner.

Do you think that Dave Kreig got all of his 40,000 + yards passing to just Steve Largent?

You absolutely cannot talk about greatest Seahawk receivers without mentioning Daryl Turner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSWnfgqHwvo

I was a young sailor in the Navy, stationed in San Diego, and I went to the game in the youtube video above. Fouts threw for over 300 yards....in just the first half.

I'm tellin ya.......Daryl Freakin Turner. He could easily transcend to today's game.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Mick063":3r14lswi said:
Man.....

I can tell I am dating myself here but......Daryl Turner.

Do you think that Dave Kreig got all of his 40,000 + yards passing to just Steve Largent?

You absolutely cannot talk about greatest Seahawk receivers without mentioning Daryl Turner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSWnfgqHwvo

I was a young sailor in the Navy, stationed in San Diego, and I went to the game in the youtube video above. Fouts threw for over 300 yards....in just the first half.

I'm tellin ya.......Daryl Freakin Turner. He could easily transcend to today's game.
Deep heat!

John L Williams in his prime would also be a superstar today as a FULL BACK.
Big, great blocker, great hands, great speed, hard to tackle.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":1j625z84 said:
I'm a huge proponent of drafting WRs. Early and often. Same with RBs.

The college ranks are pumping out tons of quality talent every year. And high caliber NFL starting quality at that. From a roster build perspective, one could consider both of these position groups to be easily rostered with virtually nothing but rookie deal talent.

It's a roster efficiency aspect where you can cheat from a cap perspective with a very small (or non existent) decrease in effective play. While plowing cap dollars at other positions.

There are of course going to be rare combinations of physical traits/innate skill or just team fit. Baldwin/Lockett and now Metcalf come immediately to mind. But even so -- there is essentially a Metcalf type player taking on day 2/3 of virtually every draft.

The sweet spot seems to be picks 35-70. Looking at the last 6 drafts, it's crazy to see the ultimate value that comes from WRs in that range. Irrespective of all positions -- that's the range where you get the most bang for your draft buck. While focusing on slot type receiver talents on day 3.
This does not apply to OL for sure.

Latest posts