So who ends up trading for Sherman

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I doubt many people support it, he's one of the best in the game. But if he's going to act like a jack wagon again, when is enough just enough?

Seymour

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3fsftjhd said:
#1 receivers the Seahawks face this season:

Larry Fitzgerald, twice
Julio Jones
Dez Bryant
Jordy Nelson
Odell Beckham, Jr.
DeAndre Hopkins
Alshon Jeffrey
T.Y. Hilton

If you really feel like getting sliced and diced by these guys all year, feel free to support the Sherman trade.

I support whatever it takes to get this team back to playing together as one unit for a common goal. If that means jettisoning the ugly duckling causing division in that goal....so be it. Sherman is dug in and covering himself with lies and BS to protect his own agenda. That counters some of his CB values IMO.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
And IF he wants to be traded, then trade him where YOU want to, and where the best offer comes from. Enjoy Cleveland.....

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1oj1e8a3 said:
#1 receivers the Seahawks face this season:

Larry Fitzgerald, twice
Julio Jones
Dez Bryant
Jordy Nelson
Odell Beckham, Jr.
DeAndre Hopkins
Alshon Jeffrey
T.Y. Hilton

If you really feel like getting sliced and diced by these guys all year, feel free to support the Sherman trade.

Why are you turning this on us?

Sherman's the one who forced the FO's hand, not the team or the fans. Pete, John and all of us love Sherman and how good he is, but most of us including the FO is tired of his nonsense........and if HE wants to be traded? Good riddance, no room on this team for malcontents.

Seymour

Reaction score
JTB":od21tlz4 said:
This is coming from Ed Werder

It is going to be hard enough getting fair value for Sherm at his age and contract size without Lynch involved. Throwing Lynch in there makes no sense from a team standpoint. All they have to do is cut Lynch and deal with Sherm separately. I think this is click bait speculation myself.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2dhhilws said:
I doubt many people support it, he's one of the best in the game. But if he's going to act like a jack wagon again, when is enough just enough?

People have allowed themselves to get so irritated by Sherman's yapping that they might have forgotten his value on the field. He's not as replaceable as you guys seem to have assumed, no more than Lynch was.

For all the Chicken Littles' talk of this defense "allowing more points than ever" last year, the Seahawks were leading the league in points allowed right up until Earl Thomas' injury (17 points per game as of Nov. 29). After that, we were much worse on defense.

That's why I have a hard time granting people's attempts to pin our struggles on "discontent" which in turn gets traced back to whomever. We were doing very well. Holding our own in tough opponents, shutting down bad opponents - just like our Super Bowl season. Every Super Bowl team gets an assist from a bad division. Including the Patriots. There was no alarming problem with the defense until Earl Thomas went out. After that, shots started opening down the field that weren't there before, and our pass rush lost its valuable time.

Richard Sherman regularly takes one whole side of the field out of the game. And he did so last year despite his discontent. Sherman hasn't demonstrated that he will allow his play to suffer. The evidence of slacking was completely absent from the field last year, or at least too hard to separate from the effects of Thomas' injury.

I know he's a pain, and as a stick-in-the-mud myself I'm probably more irritated with him than any of you. But we have to consider whether taking Sherman out of the equation would merely have the effect of leaving us with the post-Thomas 2016 Seahawks defense ALL YEAR. That makes us the Saints. Hall-of-fame QB, nothing else.

Until I see some real evidence that Sherman's antics are disrupting the product on the field - WITHOUT the effects of the absence of the league's best safety to explain it away instead - I'm not about to say "enough's enough". You can have the post-2016 Seahawks defense all year if it makes you feel better about having a team of choir boys (yes, I'm playing that card). I want another Super Bowl.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Great post, Montana.

Sherman is borderline irreplaceable, which has been all but confirmed by the requirement to give up a 1st PLUS another pick to be in the trade conversation. Our defense is completely different and much less effective without Sherm taking away one side of the field.

Seymour

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":22yoarpx said:
....I know he's a pain, and as a stick-in-the-mud myself I'm probably more irritated with him than any of you. But we have to consider whether taking Sherman out of the equation would merely have the effect of leaving us with the post-Thomas 2016 Seahawks defense ALL YEAR. That makes us the Saints. Hall-of-fame QB, nothing else.

Until I see some real evidence that Sherman's antics are disrupting the product on the field - WITHOUT the effects of the absence of the league's best safety to explain it away instead - I'm not about to say "enough's enough". You can have the post-2016 Seahawks defense all year if it makes you feel better about having a team of choir boys (yes, I'm playing that card). I want another Super Bowl.

The Saints? Overreact much?
Please, that is ridiculous when you look at this roster beyond Sherm. Sure it leaves a huge hole. But that hole was created by Sherm, not us. We are just finding our own ways to deal with said hole. Sure as hell won't turn us into the Saints though.

Hyak

Reaction score
Here's another thought and it's completely speculative.

I wonder if Sherman wants a trade in part because he wants a new contract. I am pretty sure the Seahawks are unlikely to consider it right now and likely do not have him in their 2019 plans.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":w78n29fq said:
Great post, Montana.

Sherman is borderline irreplaceable, which has been all but confirmed by the requirement to give up a 1st PLUS another pick to be in the trade conversation. Our defense is completely different and much less effective without Sherm taking away one side of the field.

No one's irreplaceable.

Sherman's a great corner, one of the best in the league...........but make no mistake he can be replaced. Especially in Pete's DB system where he's done nothing develop pro bowl caliber DB's, and even made stars out of lesser ones like Browner and Maxwell.

This draft is packed with DB's that fit Pete's mold. So I have no doubt if we trade Sherman that we'll draft at least 1-2 extremely capable DB's that we can develop into great corners.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
And who chose to act the way did last year? HE chose to. That freak out on the sidelines when his own teammates had to calm him down, ridiculous. If that was an average player, people wouldn't stick up for him one bit. Just because it's Sherm, that makes it ok?

Hyak

Reaction score
I think we draft a couple of CB's regardless of the Sherman situation simply because he's a goner whether it's now, next year, or in 2019.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
JTB":2xgyvdvc said:

I wonder if Sherman wants a trade in part because he wants a new contract. I am pretty sure the Seahawks are unlikely to consider it right now and likely do not have him in their 2019 plans.

You could be right on that one. If that's the case, he probably doesn't see Seattle giving him another contract that he'll deem worthy and 2016 was his largest base salary/cap year. It's only downhill from here for him, though it's not huge differences year to year.

2016 - $12,569,000
2017 - $11,431,000
2018 - $11,000,000

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2m3zdcci said:
JGfromtheNW":2m3zdcci said:
Great post, Montana.

No one's irreplaceable.

Sherman's a great corner, one of the best in the league...........but make no mistake he can be replaced. Especially in Pete's DB system where he's done nothing develop pro bowl caliber DB's, and even made stars out of lesser ones like Browner and Maxwell.

This draft is packed with DB's that fit Pete's mold. So I have no doubt if we trade Sherman that we'll draft at least 1-2 extremely capable DB's that we can develop into great corners.

That's why I didn't say irreplaceable, I said borderline irreplaceable. He's probably the most valuable player on our roster, though, next to RW. Him or ET.

Browner, Maxwell, Lane, Shead have all been HUGELY impacted by having Sherman on the opposite and ET behind them. Browner and Maxwell have proven that they aren't number ones, barely even number twos, without the support of other great DBs.

I don't believe for a second that we would be able to come close to the same defensive production removing Sherm and adding either a rookie with high potential or any other DB we have on our roster.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1olkzzr7 said:
JGfromtheNW":1olkzzr7 said:
Great post, Montana.

No one's irreplaceable.

That's an awfully easy "no doubt". I think you're vastly underselling Sherman. Corners of his caliber come along once every five years or so, not every year and certainly not every round. Browner got burned a lot. Maxwell wasn't all that great once he got out from Thomas' shadow. Nobody else other than Kam has raised eyebrows in regards to empirical talent here.

If you want to trust that any pick from any draft can replace Sherman, that's an enormous gamble, especially given Thomas' uncertain return from injury.

Seymour

Reaction score
JTB":hcpym4ya said:

It is difficult to fathom all of why Sherm acted out last season exactly. Sure Bevs was a part of that, but IMO there is something beyond eating at him. Looking at his season and his slight decline and age, one could argue his mortality is coming into view is being looked out for. Also, he now has been passed up in wage by some lessor players and that with his demeanor may be eating away at him. So, I would agree, this may be all about signing another big one before his skills start shouting don't sign him "for that cost" to teams.

Also, I saw him tweet some angst about him needing Earl to shine recently, so it may well be on his mind that he needs to prove he is the best outside of our system as well. Combine all that with Bev and Pete's "stale message" and I think we have a multi layered situation with him here.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2fkwdrg7 said:
That's an awfully easy "no doubt". I think you're vastly underselling Sherman. Corners of his caliber come along once every five years or so, not every year and certainly not every round. Browner got burned a lot. Maxwell wasn't all that great once he got out from Thomas' shadow. Nobody else other than Kam has raised eyebrows in regards to empirical talent here.

If you want to trust that any pick from any draft can replace Sherman, that's an enormous gamble, especially given Thomas' uncertain return from injury.

My point is we now have a very long historical track record of our FO and Pete developing very good to great defensive backs within our defensive system.

So if there was one position I'm OK with letting a malcontent star go because he can no longer do what is asked of him, behave.........then DB is that position.

I've said many times now that I'd rather Sherman stay and shut up and play, but it's very apparent that he's not willing to do so. And I'm OK with that, because our FO has done an amazing job at finding DB talent. Hopefully DB's that don't act like spoiled brats.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1w724b28 said:
MontanaHawk05":1w724b28 said:

My point is we now have a very long historical track record of our FO and Pete developing very good to great defensive backs within our defensive system.

So if there was one position I'm OK with letting a malcontent star go because he can no longer do what is asked of him, behave.........then DB is that position.

I've said many times now that I'd rather Sherman stay and shut up and play, but it's very apparent that he's not willing to do so. And I'm OK with that, because our FO has done an amazing job at finding DB talent. Hopefully DB's that don't act like spoiled brats.

Agreed. Sad to see him go, but if he does, it was likely necessary.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
I only see Sherman leaving if someone seriously just sells the farm and their first born child. Seattle is not gonna just take a 2nd or 3rd Rounder for him, why else would you shoot yourself in the foot and lose probably one of the best Corners in the league right now?

Yeah, Sherman has an attitude and he runs his mouth but he's not nearly the kind of distraction that Beckham, Bryant, or Revis is. Beckham who throws hissy fits on the sidelines every Sunday, thinks he's larger than life and says he wants to go to the beach rather than get ready for the play offs. Bryant who arrogance is only outweighed by the likes of Beckham and Revis; Revis who was, what, involved in a robbery and assault a man who makes millions a years.

Sherman talks crap and runs his mouth. Yeah, I'll take that over these three real distractions.