So Long, and Thanks for all the Picks!

ivotuk

Reaction score
I chuckled when i saw the Broncos box score.

I love Russell more now than I ever did! He forced his way out, getting us 3 good to great players, and 4 Phenomenal picks!

Plus, we have Geno! And everyone HAS to respect Pete and John now. All this good cheer, because Russell's head got too big for his britches...or something.

Thank You Russell Wilson! A Seahawks Hero for Eternity!

SPOHAWK

Reaction score
Because many of us...diagnosed the problem he was over the last 3-4 years...so in a way we are being proved to have been right....plus all those picks and talent in return! He will still be in the ring of Honor somedayand we'll love him again!

HomerJHawk

Reaction score
For me, it was that he chose to leave because he felt was being held back, and did it in somewhat bad fashion. I don't hate him at all, he brought us some awesome seasons.
But throwing shade on your way out, and going full Bronco over the off-season, with the Mr. Unliiiiimited self naming, and the immediate team implosion once they started the season....

Well, it sure is fun to watch!

I haven't eaten this much popcorn since I was a 10yr old kid on matinee Saturdays.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
As an outside fan, its really weird to me to see how much the Seahawks fanbase has turned on him.

No judgement. Just weird to me.

This is exactly what your team would Have gone thru had you retained Kaep, or Harbs who wanted to keep Kaepernick.

Do u not recall the penis shaped balloons batting around Levis through the 2016 season? Imagine that with Harbs still insisting he wanted Kaepernick.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
A 3rd round draft pick ten years ago yielded/helped us:

1. Win our first Lombardi.
2. A 2nd trip to the SB the year after.
3. A decade of playoff appearances.
4. Shelby Harris, Drew Lock and Noah Fant.
5. Extra 1st and 2nd round draft picks in 2022.
6. Extra 1st and 2nd round draft picks in 2023.

We don't hate Russell Wilson. We're just happy to be rid of him, especially considering everything we got in return.

Name another 3rd round draft pick that yielded anything close to what we got. I can't.

pmedic920

Reaction score
As an outside fan, its really weird to me to see how much the Seahawks fanbase has turned on him.

Hey Marv, long time no see.
I suspect you’ve been around and I haven’t noticed.

I don’t necessarily think the fan base has turned on Russ but…..

I do think that Russ “turned” on Seattle.

Having said that, in the meantime much has come to light, things have surfaced that some suspected but nobody could confirm/prove.

Personally?
I’m a Seattle Seahawks fan, I’m a fan regardless of roster, coaching staff, venue, or ownership. I’ll be a Seahawk fan until they are no longer The Seattle Seahawks and I pray/hope none of that ever changes.

Russ has become dead to me, I don’t wish any harm to him. I hope that he goes on to live a long and enjoyable life. In terms of his football career? I hope he shits the bed, I want the best draft picks we can get for the structure of the trade. My loyalty to Russ is/was based on his loyalty to me (The Seahawks).

What’s weird to me is, how any Seahawk fan would continue to root for him.
I’m thankful and respect what he did for us, how could any fan not?
Having said that..
He forced the trade.

Bottom line for me is, the fan base didn’t turn on him, he abandoned the fan base.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
According to Wilson himself, he went to a place that wants to win, and where he doesn't have to carry the team. And it's a damn good thing, because his performance this season puts him 26th in DYAR (production), 25th in DVOA (per-snap productivity), 20th in ANY/A, 28th in passer rating, and 30th in QBR. And it doesn't look like he's getting any closer to being able to carry his new team, having had yet another terrible performance on Sunday, this one against a defense missing five of its starters.

Was that the "clutch performer" (that his apologists claim he is) that fumbled on a sack on third and four on the Broncos' final drive against the Titans, got bailed out by a teammate recovering it, and then threw an easy interception to a defender on the goal line with no receivers near that defender?

The Broncos' defense is really good. They're the best scoring defense in the league, allowing just 16.6 points per game so far. For the eighth time in nine games, they held their opponent to fewer than 20 points, and for the fifth time in those eight games, the offense failed so badly that the team lost anyway. The Broncos now have the absolute worst scoring offense in the league, with just 14.6 points per game. Yikes.

Even at the we-thought-it-was-low-just-a-few-months-ago cap number of $17M, Wilson looks like the opposite of a bargain for the Broncos. And since I still dislike the Broncos from when the Seahawks were in the AFC West, I love that they're stuck with Wilson for at least two more seasons after this one, and even in 2025, they'd have to eat nearly $50M of dead cap to get rid of him, so unless the Broncos start planning now for being able to get free of Wilson in 2025, he might be on their roster until 2026, when the dead-money hit will be "just" $31.2M, almost certain to be smaller as a percentage of the cap than what the Seahawks were willing to eat to get rid of him this season. On the night of the season opener, I replied to a comment from a fellow .NETter who had been predicting Wilson and his team would put up 40 on the Seahawks, and I asked if he meant 40 over Wilson's career, because Wilson and the Broncos are currently at just 40% of that goal. I even made the point that night that if the Seahawks don't play the Broncos again before 2026 (the next time the NFC West is scheduled to play the AFC West as things stand now in the NFL), Wilson might not be a starter in the NFL by the time the Broncos and Seahawks face each other again.

I love that the Seahawks were able to get enough out of Wilson on a rookie contract for the exciting 2012-2014 seasons, including the Super Bowl title for which I'd been waiting for over 37 years. I actually have a Russell Wilson beach towel, a present from my S.O. (it was a Seahawks thing she found that she could get for me down here), and I'll happily keep using it, but at this point it's much more because of who gave it to me than because of who's on it. Still, it's not like I have to hold my nose to use it or something. In addition to being a present from somebody who cares about me, it's a Seahawks-related item, and when I use it, I can choose to remember the good-for-Seahawks-fans things about Wilson: some great seasons, some great moments, XLVIII, and the huge haul of players and picks the Seahawks got from the Broncos for him, helping build the base of the exciting and fun-to-watch team the Seahawks are currently putting on the field.

BleuEyedHawk

Reaction score

You've been a long time poster and I've enjoyed reading your perspective.

You've probably seen the many debates of Russ vs. Pete vs. the current OC threads and the rants etc. over the past several years. Fire___!! (Fill in the blank with any coach or even John) became a mantra.

The details were dissected ad nauseam and now we're finally seeing some light after years of dialogue. Similiar to reading a mystery with all the red herrings flying around, it's fascinating to finally have a glimse of the underlying plot.

I don't hate Russ, but he annoyed me. He seemed like a selfish player so I've been curious to see if his philosophy would be successful in Denver. Apparently not.

Do I take a little satisfaction in seeing him exposed? Yes I do. I also feel that vindication is in order for his coaches and team mates who had to suffer in silence with his antics.

(Edit for spelling)

Last edited:

Hockey Guy

Reaction score

I'm not 1 of the posters who just rags on Wilson just because he's RW but, he definitely should not have said some of the stupid sh** on his way out the door starting with the BS @ the SB a year earlier.

We had to endure a whole season knowing he wanted out & was most likely leaving AFTER bringing in his handpicked OC & him performing terrible in that system.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
We had to endure a whole season knowing he wanted out & was most likely leaving AFTER bringing in his handpicked OC & him performing terrible in that system.

Thanks for reminding me. I had forgotten to mention that. In addition to all the other stuff already mentioned, we should thank Wilson for approving Waldron as OC. That's been working out great for the Seahawks and for us Seahawks fans.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
Thanks for reminding me. I had forgotten to mention that. In addition to all the other stuff already mentioned, we should thank Wilson for approving Waldron as OC. That's been working out great for the Seahawks and for us Seahawks fans.
Yeah, a lot of posters came to the conclusion, me included, that Waldron was the wrong choice & that we were now stuck with & he was in over his head but it turns out that the system just wasn't being run properly.

94Smith

Reaction score
I wonder how these Denver years will affect his bid for the Hall of Fame when he retires? Is Russ still a hall of famer?

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Personally I think he still makes it to Canton.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
I wonder how these Denver years will affect his bid for the Hall of Fame when he retires? Is Russ still a hall of famer?
Interesting question. If Russ had simply retired at the end of his time with the Seahawks, I would have bet money on it. Now, with how bad he's stinking up the joint in Denver, everyone is reevaluating what was actually happening during his time in Seattle, asking questions about whether Russ's performance here had to do with Pete protecting him, etc. His bad performance now is taking the shine off of his performance then. And that's hurting his legacy (chuckling to myself as I type that).

I mean, his performance now is historically bad, and it's seriously tainting people's perceptions even of our Super Bowl appearances. If you have a vote for the NFL Hall of Fame, and your perception of Russ goes from one in which Russ played a key role in Seahawks success in the first half of his tenure, to a perception in which Russ was largely along for the ride, your chances of voting Russ into the HoF decrease dramatically.

Own The West

Reaction score
You've been a long time poster - and I've enjoyed reading your perspective.

You've probably seen the many debates of Russ vs. Pete vs. the current OC threads and rants etc over the past several years. Fire___!! (Fill in the blank with any coach or even John) became a mantra.
Just enjoying the Russ vs. Hackett threads and rants these days. Glad it's no longer us.

I'm going to care about Russell Wilson's career for about 8 more weeks. I used to tell people that if he ever wanted to lead the league in first downs, he'd replace Brady in the record books. But he got a big head, started thinking he *was* the franchise and put us in Stockton/Malone territory where we could always make the playoffs, but not win.

His hall of fame case will be an interesting one. Assuming Dever trots him out as a starter for the next 3 years he might break the top 10-15 in career yardage, but he'll never shake the "was it Russ or Pete?" criticism now. I guess your reap what you sow...

Anyhoo I'm glad he's gone. Now I just wish Jack-in-the-Box was a NFL sponsor. I think their riffs on "big heads" would be hilarious.

Torc

Reaction score
Just enjoying the Russ vs. Hackett threads and rants these days. Glad it's no longer us.

I'm going to care about Russell Wilson's career for about 8 more weeks. I used to tell people that if he ever wanted to lead the league in first downs, he'd replace Brady in the record books. But he got a big head, started thinking he *was* the franchise and put us in Stockton/Malone territory where we could always make the playoffs, but not win.

His hall of fame case will be an interesting one. Assuming Dever trots him out as a starter for the next 3 years he might break the top 10-15 in career yardage, but he'll never shake the "was it Russ or Pete?" criticism now. I guess your reap what you sow...

Anyhoo I'm glad he's gone. Now I just wish Jack-in-the-Box was a NFL sponsor. I think their riffs on "big heads" would be hilarious.
I think his hall of fame case will be all about his detractors saying that the Legion of Boom won that super bowl, and they won't be wrong - the defense scored nine, enough to win without the offense scoring at all. His resume for the latter part of his career puts him in the Hall of the Really Good but not the HoF, IMO. He needs his Broncos career to show that he really was what made the Seahawks great. If he had a great year with the Broncos and THEN tanked, people would chalk it up to natural decline and aging. But as it stands, it sure looks like the Seahawks found ways to win with him, but not because of him.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
No. He never was without another half decade of stellar numbers minimum post 2020. That ship has sailed. He's in the process of permanently burning his starter level QB cred league wide right now. He's got the rest of this season and next to even have a shot at another team giving him a chance.