Smith ruled out. Haskins to get the start.

ducks41468

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":21dl9mtq said:
I feel a lot better about this game now.

Yep. Offense will still struggle but Haskins will hand us a couple of dumb turnovers to help things out.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":887w2zcw said:
I feel a lot better about this game now.

Meh, not really a big upgrade or difference with Smith over Haskins.

The Not the Skins have gone on a win streak because of one thing and one thing only, their defense. Their offense didn't even score a TD last week and they won.

So they can start either QB, and that's not even 10% of why we'll win or lose this game. It's squarely on Russell and the offense's shoulders to put up 17+ points on that nasty defense.

sutz

Reaction score
Our record against backups ain't all that. I don't know that it makes that much difference. If they go all "Giants" on us, we'd better have our run fits down solid.As we saw there, a couple of breakdowns in the run game can do as much damage as a big bomb pass.

rcaido

Reaction score
Smith is a smart qb, im glad he is out. i was worried he was going to dink & dunk us all game long. We seem to struggle w/ QBs who can do that effectively.

We have too much offense & i believe our defense will overwhelm Haskins.

Rat

Reaction score
Dammit, I’m a big Haskins fan as he was awesome for the Buckeyes. I wish Smith was sitting out a different week, but I guess I can just root for WFT to lose in spite of a promising outing from Haskins.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Sorry who are these backups who have done so well against us? I don't mean like McCoy who barely threw for 100 and who's only long drive was all handing off. Matt Schaub put up great stats in the 2nd half after Hawks had a huge lead and went into prevent (still won).
Who had done well throwing an won? (maybe I am missing an obvious one)

bestfightstory

Reaction score
This is big. Smith makes the way they play and win possible. By leadership. By limiting mistakes and turnovers. By accurately reading defenses and knowing assignments. The very things Haskins has not proven capable of at this level.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Leif!! Good to see ya man. Been too long, brother.

Yeah I'm all for Haskins playing over Smith for the reasons listed. I think this can only help us ultimately. Let's go 10-4 this Sunday and we're in the playoffs.

hedgehawk

Reaction score
Not sure this is good or not. While Smith probably wouldn’t turn the ball over, we have to at least be honest with Haskins, as Smith can barely throw the ball downfield anymore. I’m sure he would dink all day though. Lets hope Haskins doesn’t have one of those ahh-ha get it finally games. Regardless, I think the offense needs to score at least 20 to win.

sutz

Reaction score
hedgehawk":1dhwsgna said:
Not sure this is good or not. While Smith probably wouldn’t turn the ball over, we have to at least be honest with Haskins, as Smith can barely throw the ball downfield anymore. I’m sure he would dink all day though. Lets hope Haskins doesn’t have one of those ahh-ha get it finally games. Regardless, I think the offense needs to score at least 20 to win.
The good part is that I don't think we'll need much more than that to win, Sunday. :snack:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Bummer, I was hoping Smith would play. The NWBS crowd will have a field day.
Meh, unlike many, I have been plenty confident the Hawks will win Sunday, regardless who is under center.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Thoughts and prayers to Alex Smith and his family. Hopefully his knee injury isn't very serious.

Hopefully our defense can shut down Haskins

IndyHawk

Reaction score
If Smith is done because of that leg..He beat all odds just to make it back.
I think he can go holding his head up high..
That is if he has to hang em up.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
IndyHawk":3b0cnrbn said:
If Smith is done because of that leg..He beat all odds just to make it back.
I think he can go holding his head up high..
That is if he has to hang em up.

No kidding. I only caught part of that mini-documentary/report on his injury and recovery. All I could think about it was 'Jesus - this guy is tough. Balls of steel."

I echo another poster in general: Defences match up iMO. If we can get the short passing/screen game together and have a solid day rushing - we win. If not - we don't. Gotta de-fuse that Dine. Quarterback didn't matter (well for ultimate W or L - maybe the score).

Just my .02

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
We lost to Colt McCoy and a backup RB.

Not sure Washington losing their QB means we are in the clear or even have an easier game. Haskins scares me as much as Smith because he is mobile and can throw farther.

But again, we lost to Giants. We can lose to anyone that isn't actively trying to lose (Jets). Let us hope they learned the lesson from the Giants game and come in prepared this time. You never know.

Still, Smith is clearly tough as nails. Just as a football fan I am bummed about him not being able to play. How could you not root for the guy when your team isn't playing him?

Rat

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":25if40up said:
Not sure Washington losing their QB means we are in the clear or even have an easier game. Haskins scares me as much as Smith because he is mobile and can throw farther.

Haskins is absolutely not mobile. I guess moreso than someone coming off 17 leg surgeries, but that is not a strength of his.

Latest posts