Sleeping On Seattle

truehawksfan

Reaction score
Not really surprised.

Just look at our own poll. Many feel this is rebuild year...no chance to make the playoffs, so why should the media focus on a non playoff team, especially if it's own fan base feels the same way?

Unless you're the Cowboys.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
I would guess that of TV coverage by the minute of airtime.... the leaders on NFL/ESPN are:
1-Tom Brady, the GOAT, 10+ times more talked about than anything Seahawks. 20-minute segment about a hangnail.
2-New York Jets and Giants, 5+ times more talked about than anything Seahawks. Even though those teams suck.
3-Every other team, with exception of bottom feeders, 2+ times more talked about than anything Seahawks. Regional bias at it's best.

Another thing that goes on 24/7 is the "analysts", "experts" or whatever you care to call them are pretty much bias when it comes to talking about their past teams (or games they played in 20 years ago, etc.) and always, how great those teams are or will be this year. I also find it annoying that ever guy on TV has to "rank" teams/players, who gives a crap about those? I think one must always consider the qualifications and lack thereof of a writer/commentator to do thinks like rankings, garbage in garbage out, it's all a bunch of BS, especially now, during the dead season.
:smilingalien:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
And them crowning the Rams the SuperbOwl champ, even though they haven't won a playoff game since 2004. And you can't forget them crowning Jimmy G the next Joe Montana :roll:

jammerhawk

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1hgcekql said:
Every year there is a team or two that the "experts" claim will suck and they turn out pretty good. And vice versa. Hype hype hype and the team misses the playoffs.
Just my opinion, but it's clear that many WANT the Hawks to fail. Good, hope they continue to write them off.
I still expect that they will be back in the playoffs in 2019 though.

This post is absolutely right on, great post Soulfish!

Until the bullets fly, it’s just all just speculation. A critical injury, locker room squabbles, or a million other things could derail the so called favourites; and teams with young rosters may just find themselves jelling a a team without some of their moved out older self-centred stars.

The Hawks have a solid roster even without those players the talking heads are wringing their hands over the team losing. Seattle could easily be a great deal more talented than credited by those same hand wringers. We just need to wait and watch. The Hawks will be younger, faster, and very hungry for the opportunity to be recognized as very talented.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It will feel strange to go in to a season and not having SuperbOwl or bust expectations. But, thru the up and down of a season, it should be a fun year. Even if we are pounding our heads against the wall at times. It's all about opportunities for the young guys who have been waiting for their shot. Shoot, look at guys like Sherm and Kam, they weren't starters out of the gate. But they got their shot and never looked back. And I'm sure many of us are excited about the coaching changes as much as anything.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
True that, however this year's version of the team will be a whole lot better than some believe and although Sleeping on Seattle is much in vogue there could be a lot of crow chowed down on before the end of the season.

There are quite a few guys on the team who have been waiting for their respective shot to be the guy at their position and who will be trying to ball out. The real question is what is their genuine ability or are they just backup level players. I predict there will be some real surprises at a few positions this year and the break through will happen for a couple.

Generally I can't see how the team will be worse on O than they were last year. I believe the OLine will be be somewhat improved just by the slight change in scheme and the increased experience of the candidates for the five starting spots. Besides that the team will likely be a lot improved running the ball. That latter improvement will assist the D as the three and outs will decrease. I also think the group of 12 candidates on the roster at WR are a stronger group than the team has seen here in a very long time. For the most part they are bigger and faster and at least will hopefully start the season healthier than ever before. At TE the team now has a corps of TEs that can actually block instead of Jimmying around. Those of them asked to catch the ball have a history of being able to do just that in a different way than Jimmy did, but which should be quite adequate. Russell just gets better with experience and with better blocking will have a better year not having to run for his life every play.

I think the D is better than anyone gives us credit. The Sophomores and Juniors and 4th year backups who have been waiting for their respective shots are all not poor replacement candidates. W/o Sherman, Chancellor, and Thomas of course the secondary is going to be less well regarded but they played well last season w/o their star players and some were actually pretty darn good. Will the cliff be that steep in terms of drop off? I guess it depends upon your thinking. If nothing else this group will be disrespected until they show that are for real and when they are recognized as being pretty good they will in fact be just that. There will be some players who genuinely surprise and beat the uninformed expectations of them by a wide margin. These guys especially this on the Line will be pretty darn hungry and will have some big shoulder chips to deal with as they are being almost completely disrespected.

Finally the kicking game and ST results should be better by the reality of the competition for the jobs. Not having a head case PK is a good thing.and the punter's job will be an most interesting battle to watch in camp.

I expect the team to be in the discussion with LA for the Divisional title, to me SF is very overrated and the Cardinals are to me still better than the Digits. Of course time will tell.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Santa Clara is this the flavor of the week this year. I'll believe it when they start beating good teams in games that matter.

adeltaY

Reaction score
I'm honestly curious who the guys on D waiting behind established starters for a shot are? I'm assuming you mean players who have been on the team or practice squad at least a couple years. Neiko Thorpe, Deandre Elliot, and? I think we are relying more on rookies and recent additions than players we have been developing on defense tbh.

chris98251

Reaction score
The secondary is going to be thrown on and a lot, they are going to see what they can defend, that means a lot of opportunity for interceptions. I expect if the guys can step up and fit oh and catch the ball the first half of the season we will know how good we are back there, Shaq proved himself last year, Maxie is a known, only the safety play is a question if we have no Thomas, McDougald played well in his roll last year as well.

They are really looking to see if someone can take Maxies position away from him and develop a guy to replace Thomas, Coleman has the Nickel locked down.

On the line they are disrespected as of now, but I think we have the horses, 3 1st rounders healthy and returning, draft picks and red shirts that can play and have shown something and our hold overs. Teams will push that till we push back and get QB hits and sacks and stone wall the run game.

Pete and Ken will have the defense playing down hill, that's what they are known for and what they do best.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
I prefer to take an upbeat, more positive attitude toward the "newly re-adjusted" Seahawks team this season. All of the predictions and rankings and down talking on the team, before even the pre-season is silly IMO. In a few weeks, after the real training camp followed by pre-season games, then, more accurate information will be available for those that want to speculate on season records. I'm still trying to understand how any player on any team can be properly evaluated based on "how they looked" in no pads OTA practices, do we want Mr. Olympus or a good football player?

-What if PC/JS actually hit on numerous draft picks in the draft? They wanted to improve the run & I think they did.
-What if Rashaad Penny is the real deal and accumulates 1500-2000 all purpose yards and lots of TD's? It's possible.
-What if the rearranged scheme and OL coach works & personnel on the OL become at least average in the league?
-What if the special teams unit ends up being one of the best in years? Penny is a GREAT returner after all.
-What if all the Seahawk opponents read this rebuilding crap and come into games very over confident? Maybe?
-What if, due to time of possession, other teams have to rally faster & throw more into the teeth of the Seahawks DB's, thus increasing turnovers because they have to proceed with urgency to score quickly?

The recent Seahawk draft will be a big key to the success of the team this season and I'd fully expect several of their draft picks to excel. None of the above "what if's" are impossible and if the team can hit on several of them, there is no reason they can't get to the playoffs this year. Once in the dance, then anything can happen, even a SB. See, it's not really too difficult to try and remain positive and avoid all the negative crap. Positive=Happy, Negative=Sad. I'd rater be happy.

:smilingalien:

jammerhawk

Reaction score
adeltaY":1zffmh64 said:
I'm honestly curious who the guys on D waiting behind established starters for a shot are? I'm assuming you mean players who have been on the team or practice squad at least a couple years. Neiko Thorpe, Deandre Elliot, and? I think we are relying more on rookies and recent additions than players we have been developing on defense tbh.

I think the guys on D waiting for their potential shot to be the starter are:

Absolutely DE- Clark and then

DE- Jordan
DE- Smith (both players need to come healthy and stay healthy, but if they do there could be a very interesting camp battle for the job.
DT- Naz Jones
DT- Reed
OLB- Alexander (probably only on ST)
CB- Thorpe
FS- Tedric Thompson
SS- Delano Hill

There is a shorter list on O, but still a few guys who have potential to start.

None of these are guys acquired in FA or through the draft or by trade, this offseason. Some of them are very interesting and could be a nice fit while challenging for starting gig or even presumptively already potentially having that job, (i.e.: Mingo @ SOLB).