Sky is Falling.

SchadenfreudeHawk

Reaction score
Seymour":2kadsacj said:
seanmatt":2kadsacj said:
So I was wondering if any of the "everything is fine, we're still going to the playoffs!" folks wanna respond after last night? Do you still think that this team is a contender? Do Pete and John still have the ability to bring this team back? If you think these things, why? Maybe after last night it is really incumbent on the positive people to justify their positive view. I mean, I think that what I saw last night proves my thesis that this team has fallen off the cliff. How would you prove the the ski isn't falling?

You are talking about only a couple people on here saying that out of thousands, the vast majority knew it would be a tough season.

My question to you. Would you rather be "right" and have the loss or "wrong" and have the win?

Of course I would rather be "wrong" and have the Hawks win. Da doi. But this is what is happeing on this board right now. The positive folks are taking out their frustrations with the team on the folks who were accurate in their predictions about the team. If the Hawks were good you would have been rubbing it in the faces of those of us who thought that the team was gonna stinks. Honestly, I would rather have had THAT happen then have been correct. I mean, seriously, instead of being all hurt about my question why not try to convince me that we aren't as bad as I think they are?

Seymour

Reaction score
seanmatt":1qri7zz8 said:
Seymour":1qri7zz8 said:
seanmatt":1qri7zz8 said:
So I was wondering if any of the "everything is fine, we're still going to the playoffs!" folks wanna respond after last night? Do you still think that this team is a contender? Do Pete and John still have the ability to bring this team back? If you think these things, why? Maybe after last night it is really incumbent on the positive people to justify their positive view. I mean, I think that what I saw last night proves my thesis that this team has fallen off the cliff. How would you prove the the ski isn't falling?

You are talking about only a couple people on here saying that out of thousands, the vast majority knew it would be a tough season.

My question to you. Would you rather be "right" and have the loss or "wrong" and have the win?

Of course I would rather be "wrong" and have the Hawks win. Da doi. But this is what is happeing on this board right now. The positive folks are taking out their frustrations with the team on the folks who were accurate in their predictions about the team. If the Hawks were good you would have been rubbing it in the faces of those of us who thought that the team was gonna stinks. Honestly, I would rather have had THAT happen then have been correct. I mean, seriously, instead of being all hurt about my question why not try to convince me that we aren't as bad as I think they are?

What the????
I predicted an 8-8 season +/- 2 either way. You want to crucify me because I didn't pack it in?? Go find another pigeon to pluck dude. :177692:

adeltaY

Reaction score
I recall a fair few rallying against the "mediots" for labelling our team as really bad. I still think we are better than 4-12 or first overall pick - that's way too extreme. But 5-8 wins seems likely UNLESS major change occurs. But when has Pete changed?

AubHawk71

Reaction score
jammerhawk said:
Holy Cow, what hyperbolic negativity. Just b/c the team loses a few overpaid stars who were locker room cancers. The championship D is aging out and there will need to be changes. Suddenly the sky is falling, what rubbish. Imagine being fans of Detroit or Cleveland, Tampa, or a few others. Imagine a couple of Ws in a row and you’ll be singing a different tune. The team has had a winning record in every season but one since"

Don't have to imagine following any of those football teams, I follow the Mariners. Keeping the no playoff streak alive for another year!

The sky is falling crowd use the time tested technique of having a win-win scenario: If the team loses, they were "right". If the team wins, Hey they won! I don't mind being wrong!

This team has talent, but a lot of it new, and right now they look like they don't know WTF is going on. It will either jell or not. Or both. 8-8 baby!

Seymour

Reaction score
adeltaY":brjjpea1 said:
I recall a fair few rallying against the "mediots" for labelling our team as really bad. I still think we are better than 4-12 or first overall pick - that's way too extreme. But 5-8 wins seems likely UNLESS major change occurs. But when has Pete changed?

That's not who he is calling out though! Read his post again.

seanmatt":brjjpea1 said:
So I was wondering if any of the "everything is fine, we're still going to the playoffs!" folks wanna respond after last night?

adeltaY

Reaction score
Seymour":2lwl60xn said:
adeltaY":2lwl60xn said:

That's not who he is calling out though! Read his post again.

seanmatt":2lwl60xn said:
So I was wondering if any of the "everything is fine, we're still going to the playoffs!" folks wanna respond after last night?

I wasn't responding directly to his post, more generally about the fanbase. I don't want to comb back to offseason threads, but a fair few were predicting playoffs. Most were saying 7 to 9 wins though, you're correct there.

SchadenfreudeHawk

Reaction score
This is a place where people come to talk about the Hawks. Some of us think that the team is in really bad shape and express that view. I would love to have folks engage with me about why I'm wrong. I think that this team is bottom of the league, top 5 draft pick bad. I think that the Pete and John era is over. But shoot,if you think I'm wrong convince me I'm wrong! I would rather have hope for the season than no hope. I feel like their this blind devotion to the team that has developed and if anyone dares critique the team they get shouted down. But, what ever. The Hawks suck and things are gonna be tough. I get that we all have to deal with that fact in the best way that we can.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Absolutely Largent, this team has a lot of work to do. Unfortunately, they seem to refuse to stick to the run and/or change up the play calling. The O Line is still pathetic, they are missing Doug big time because the WR are not getting open enough. Russ looks flustered behind that line. They have a ton of injuries that can't be ignored.
I think if they stay healthy and start changing up the play calling they can still win 9 games. But let's just start with a win on Sunday. :irishdrinkers:

hawkfannj

Reaction score
Was waiting for this annual thread . Just see last year’s it will look exactly the same

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":kdz1eyoe said:
Absolutely Largent, this team has a lot of work to do. Unfortunately, they seem to refuse to stick to the run and/or change up the play calling. The O Line is still pathetic, they are missing Doug big time because the WR are not getting open enough. Russ looks flustered behind that line. They have a ton of injuries that can't be ignored.
I think if they stay healthy and start changing up the play calling they can still win 9 games. But let's just start with a win on Sunday. :irishdrinkers:
The line actually didn't play that bad. They held there blocks for a long time in most cases. Russ was just hanging onto the ball. Some of that because of him, some of that because of Pete's idiotic offense.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
They need to roll him out, do more screen passes, let him run a little etc. You know, the stuff he's good at.

mrt144

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":fwrmhud3 said:
They need to roll him out, do more screen passes, let him run a little etc. You know, the stuff he's good at.

Can I get odds that they don't spend much time practicing the things they could do in alternative and thus have nothing to fall back on when their rote tactical plans do nothing in game?

I get staying the course with a plan because you want to exhaust the possibility that you're not executing the plan correctly but sheesh...is 2 seasons worth not enough information to try and add some wrinkles other teams have shown to work to some extent like the first Bears TD (A play we saw the Chiefs rock the first few games of last season)?

It must be ridiculously frustrating to look around the league and play other teams that do things differently with equal or lesser talent to better effect and have those possibilities completely absent.

"Dad, why can't we have decent things"

"Because we're a run first team that plays stout defense. Schotty, call up a bunch of passes to score immediately screw this ball control thing"

"Dad's drunk again!"

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
That long drive by Chicago to finally go up 2 scores was a thing of beauty. I found myself very jealous of seeing a team that actually was creative w/their play calling.

mrt144

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2wm8lzm0 said:
That long drive by Chicago to finally go up 2 scores was a thing of beauty. I found myself very jealous of seeing a team that actually was creative w/their play calling.

I agree - It's kinda weird being jealous of a team that is cognizant of just how much they need to do in the absence of their own ability to do the standard things. It's like being jealous of an idiot savant who can't tie their own shoes but somehow makes beautiful sculptures out of shoe laces.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
They were basing the play calling around the talent they had, and not making the QB do too much.
Imagine that, actually calling plays that match the personnel and the QB.

hawksincebirth

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3q6hmf4g said:
SoulfishHawk":3q6hmf4g said:
You knew NOTHING. It's a prediction of doom and gloom. They lost, and you seem to be happy about what you perceive to be you being right about it. Congrats.

This is the type of thing that is just baffling. The few that actually seem to enjoy being right about the team and/or a player not being successful. All just to be right? Being right about something bad is fun???

You're an optimistic dude Soulfish, and I dig that.

But sometimes it is frustrating when discussing the negative things about the Hawks, and fans just pretend it's still 2015 and we're rolling.

We're not, things are not good, so it's OK to discuss the negative. Doesn't mean we're not true fans, or loyal to our Hawks. Just means we're being realistic and honest.
:ditto:

seedhawk

Reaction score
The sky is fine. However, teams with a run of success usually fall off. It's the coming back to earth syndrome, and right now a certain piece of hard real estate is rapidly approaching.

However, some of us look back and realize that ever since PC was hired, our game MO has not changed. The only real difference is, our dominant D gave our O short fields, we were way on the + side in turnovers, and we didn't beat ourselves with really stupid penalties.

It also appears that the more we ask of RW, the worse he seems to play. Or, did our dominant D and all those short fields mask some things in his game?

Rocket

Reaction score
Rocket":3mxjkxk8 said:
Tense.
Fallen, not falling.
Duh

He's a smart ass, nevermind, he's just making fun of nay-sayers.
It isn't over 'till we say it is.
Bluto, Germans, Pearl Harbor... you know.

Latest posts