Six Cities submit application to host 2018 Super Bowl

rickychen

Reaction score
Six cities have put in applications to host Super Bowl LII, NFL Media's Albert Breer reported Monday. The interested cities are Miami, New Orleans, Dallas, Minneapolis, Indianapolis and Tampa, Fla.

Why not Seattle? Did Seahawks just announced a potential adding some seat at CLINK last week?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I hope they're working on things behind the scenes to get it as likely as possible that we win the bid when we eventually throw our hat in the ring.

BullHawk33

Reaction score
I thought there were some articles that came out last year indicating that Seattle was submitting a package to host although I never saw anything after those articles. Average temp requirements are 50 degrees for outdoor stadiums, we'd have to get a waiver for that. The CLink holds 67k right now, minimum is 70k. We'd have to add seats (already have the ability in the south end, not sure how many). Need 25k hotel rooms in the immediate vicinity. We have that, but it depends on what is considered "immediate vicinity". I'm sure having Boeing Field right close to the Stadium is a pretty big deal for all the big wigs as well.

That said, the NFL indicated that 125k people came in to Dallas to partake in the Super Bowl events in 2011. That just doesn't bode well to win a bid when our stadium can accommodate the minimum requirements and requires approval of a waiver for the weather.

Getting a winning bid is much bigger than what the Seahawks themselves want though. Knowing the political climate here, it's going to be difficult to get them on board with additional funding necessary to make improvements to put us above the other competing cities.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
BullHawk33":bqk61vhl said:
I

Getting a winning bid is much bigger than what the Seahawks themselves want though. Knowing the political climate here, it's going to be difficult to get them on board with additional funding necessary to make improvements to put us above the other competing cities.

Our owner has deep pockets! If he wants to host a Super Bowl...then we will host a Super Bowl!

sutz

Reaction score
The NY/NJ game is a special one. The league still doesn't like northern outdoor stadia for the SB. Probably won't even allow bids from Seattle until after this one to see how it works.

86Hawk

Reaction score
Hotels shouldn't be an issue. Do what Canada did for the Olympics, bring in some cruise ships. Thousands of extra hotel rooms.

cockeyhawk

Reaction score
Thought after the colts and bears game people decided they didn't want a super bowl game that had chance of elements?

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Why do we need more hotels? I'm sure the trip will be less than a few hours for most fans.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
To be fair, the NFL doesn't want to have a participating team host the SB.

12HawkFan

Reaction score
Yep, hotel rooms would not ever be an issue with the ability of tying up several of the big cruise ships right on the waterfront and adding 30,000 or so high end luxury hotel rooms.

As far as temp goes NY can't even come close to that number quoted so it can happen if they want it to.

GO HAWKS!!!

86Hawk":2gu4y0hk said:
Hotels shouldn't be an issue. Do what Canada did for the Olympics, bring in some cruise ships. Thousands of extra hotel rooms.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
SonicHawk":t4jtrhrg said:
To be fair, the NFL doesn't want to have a participating team host the SB.
With how many tickets actually wind up for sale to the public, I don't think the stadium would be more than like 60% Seahawks fans even if we did host it, though.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
Superbowls are not really for the fans anymore. That's why they have the pregame stuff all week before, so the fans feel like they're apart fo the activities. It's just smoke and mirrors though for the big bucks they make from selling tickets to the high rollers.

It's so corporate, and tickets are outlandishly expensive, it's not even really reasonable to think that the average football fan could attend without saving and saving..sand saving...sand saving...

Just my two-cents though. I'm probably way off base, as usual.

Latest posts