Situational play calling

Hawaii-hawk

Reaction score
Hi all! I’m sure there’s probably a place to greet everyone as a first time poster but wanted to address a few concerns I had on situational play calling I noticed last night first.

Offense: 3rd downs and short, ball gets snapped, Russ drops back, gets early pressure....and has no one to dump it off to because no receiver is within 10 yards of him and has to either scramble or gets sacked. This isn’t 10+ yard gain we need, this is 2 or 3 yards on a 3rd down. At least 2 drives were killed in this way. how anyone can call for deep routes to all receivers, no check down option, and max protect when all you need is 2 yards is incredibly bad situational play calling imo.

On one of those drives Russ even connected with I think DK but was reversed due to penalty. But whether it works or doesn’t is irrelevant, a bad play call is a bad play call, Russ needs more short yardage options when short yardage is all you need.

Meanwhile 3rd down and longs. On one play we had 3rd down and 13. Lateral behind line of scrimmage with just 1 blocker. Goes for a yard and our drive is killed.

So to sum up: if it’s 3rd and short we call for deep routes and no short options and on 3rd and forever we call for laterals.

Those are drive killer play calls. Our first 3 drives, the first one ended in touchdown with zero deep balls. The next 2 drives were both 3 and out based on deep routes on 3rd down and short. This needs to be cleaned up imo. Badly

Defense: our 3 man rushes are killing me. True, we won on a 3-man rush but that was a miracle. In virtually every other time we try it it gives up huge yardage. The reason should be apparent: 5 o-linemen vs 3 defenders= 2 defenders get double teamed and that leaves you with 1 man you are counting on to not only beat his man, but do so fast enough and with position to make a play on the quarterback. ESP with a quarterback like Murray, that’s extraordinarily hard to do. With just 1 more man you increase your 1on1 matchups to 3, this triples your odds of someone getting the job done. 3man rushes in critical situations is garbage. The fact it actually worked speaks to the players effort and luck more than any scheme because the scheme is terrible imo.

Likewise our 7 man rushes are killing me. Multiple times in multiple games, almost always ending badly for us, maybe because we are bad at disguising them? Or teams are so much better at having dump off screens than we are? Last night we rushed 7 on a 3rd down i think and the receiver was wide open in the end zone. But it was a bizarre 7 because only 4 initially rushed while 3 stood in no mans land for a couple of seconds as if focused on spying Murray before deciding to rush. Too late, Murray gets the ball off and no one is within 10-15 yards of the receiver. Not good.

At the end of the day good game against a quality opponent! Am really hoping situational play calls improves though

stang233

Reaction score
I agree so much.... I am so tired of seeing a 3rd and short and all of our wrs running down field. Give him some better combos. Idk. Too cute and it is going go kill us.

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
Welcome...err, ALOHA!

I agree with most of your analysis but there are farrr better XO guys here that I would like to hear take this on.
Fade, where you at?
Anyhow, stick around. I appreciate posters that take the time to watch the games and come back to explain what they saw in detail. :irishdrinkers:

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
And,
this:
Likewise our 7 man rushes are killing me. Multiple times in multiple games, almost always ending badly for us, maybe because we are bad at disguising them? Or teams are so much better at having dump off screens than we are?

is one of the more disgusting parts of our game that drives me BSC EVERY SINGLE WEEK.

JGreen79

Reaction score
I agree with the frustration. Just get the first down. I think they believe they will be they will be blitzed on 3rd and long so that makes it ideal for those screens, and won't be blitzed on 3rd and short so they go for the deep shot.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Welcome to Pete-ball. They will never see it coming. LOL

Frustrating at times, but when it works, it is beautiful

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Welcome Hawaii. You make some valid points. I think Big Sky's response is pertinent. Pete is big to bank on the element of surprise.
As for the 3rd down distance thing, we have made some of our biggest, game altering, plays going long on 3rd and short. That disguises the long odds such a call presents statistically. I think you are correct that given sufficient clock to work with getting that 1st down should be the highest priority. Example is a game ago when Russ threw an end zone pick going for the score when he had an easy first down staring him in the face had he chosen to tuck it and run.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
If it works it's because of "let Russ cook" & if it doesn't we get revisionist threads. I seem to remember Russ throwing a bomb for a TD on 4th & short & everybody was just fine with it, probably because it worked.

I guess Russ could've thrown an INT like the 1 against Buffalo where the defender came off of Olsen to undercut DK at the 1st down marker instead of the lateral thing but, if it's the play I'm thinking of, I also thought Tyler over ran his blocks on that play. Probably wasn't gonna work anyways but the play was doomed for sure after he got in front of his own blockers.

BandWagon11Hawk

Reaction score
Hockey Guy":31s3t8z7 said:
If it works it's because of "let Russ cook" & if it doesn't we get revisionist threads. I seem to remember Russ throwing a bomb for a TD on 4th & short & everybody was just fine with it, probably because it worked.

No, we're not fine with it, but great strawman you demolished. Try not to get straw everywhere.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
It's frustrated me in the past but I thought Thurs the offensive play calling was really good situationally. Russ running for first downs (that's on his good judgment, not play calling), but I saw a few quick outs on third and short. Like to Hollister on that last drive. That was a great call and execution. 9/14 on third down from what I heard which is much better than all year, including the hot start.

It's too bad that fumble by Hyde messed up the last drive. I honestly think with positive yards there on 2nd down that drive either ends in a TD or possible end the game with another first down inside the 5. The only beef I would have is not having a safety valve on the 3rd down play and stopping the clock.

Latest posts