signed exclusive rights free agents...

Mick063

Reaction score
I'm really liking Michael Jackson. Big. Tough. Physical. And he contests everything thrown in his direction. The guy has the right kind of swag.

That is one player that I wouldn't mind seeing on a multiyear deal.

QWERTY

Reaction score
So the management decides to keep these people but not Ryan Neal.

SMH

jammerhawk

Reaction score
To be fair Ryan Neal wanted to be released as he knew with the depth the team now has at SS (Adams and Love) that he'd be struggling to see the field much. The team accommodated his wish and he's now in Tampa with a chance to start there.

flv2

Reaction score

SMH
ERFA players are offered a 1-year, non-guaranteed, minimum NFL wage contract and they can't play for another NFL team if they don't sign. It costs the Seahawks nothing other than a roster spot. Million dollar slavery, (if there is such a thing). Neal would have been a $2.6M back-up if he signed his tender.

Lagartixa

Reaction score

SMH

I liked Neal too, but we have to recognize that, as @jammerhawk points out, Neal wanted to leave the Seahawks, and management was willing to accommodate him.

The other thing is that we have to recognize that the market didn't agree with us (or, evidently, PFF, because people around here have said Neal had a top-of-the-league-at-his-position PFF grade last season) about Neal's value. Neal is getting $1,092,500 for one year from the Buccaneers. If other teams thought Neal was worth more than that, they would have offered him more than that.

I don't know why NFL front offices all see Neal's value as being lower than I would have expected, but they seem to be in unanimous agreement about it.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Ryan Neal signed for the vet minimum in Tampa. Seattle would have gladly done that given the chance. Helps to know all the facts before you SYH.

QWERTY

Reaction score
ERFA players are offered a 1-year, non-guaranteed, minimum NFL wage contract and they can't play for another NFL team if they don't sign. It costs the Seahawks nothing other than a roster spot. Million dollar slavery, (if there is such a thing). Neal would have been a $2.6M back-up if he signed his tender.
That 2.6M back up was because they changed his tender offer to rights to match or not wasnt it?

keasley45

Reaction score
Neal chose to take a chance on himself, play a 1 year vet min deal to show what he can do and hopefully parlay that into a pay-day. No way he could have done the same thing here unless somebody went down. And it woukd have been foolish to pay Neal more than 2x what his market rate woukd have been when we have the cap situation we do, the number of high slot rookie contracts we'll need to negotiate, and holes outside of safety we need to fill.

As to why the FO didn't see Neal's 'value'? Neal was good. sometimes he was outstanding. And... there were times where his lack of physical ability left him out of a play or behind it . Good enough for a roster spot? Absokutkey. Good enough to start at a position of relative strength (when healthy)? No.

And good enough to pay anymore than you HAVE to for a position that isn't a critical piece to improve this year like DL, LB, OG, C, CB... and after that, RB, WR3... no.

Only so much money to go around and unfortunately sometimes your penciled #3 guy at one position is better than you'd want him to be relative to your talent at other critical positions.

I like Neal too. Wish he was here. But we will be able to cover for whatever shortfalls our 3rd / 4th safety might have if our Dline, LB and CB play is better.

flv2

Reaction score
That 2.6M back up was because they changed his tender offer to rights to match or not wasnt it?
The lowest tender is the original Draft pick round, currently at $2.627M. The next level tag is the 2nd round pick tag at $4.304M. No-one would have been interested in Neal if they had to give up a 2nd round pick. RFA tags take on the same conditions as the contract they replace - so neither tag guaranteed Neal any money in 2023. It's not uncommon for teams with cap space to RFA tag players then cut them in August if they refuse to accept pay cuts. Neal wasn't drafted out of college so there would have been no compensation if he had left on the lowest tag. However, the Seahawks were entitled to match any offer he agreed to with another team. The Seahawks now have 3 players at S who have signed for more money than Neal was going to get. If Neal stayed he was almost certainly going to be a back-up. Neal could have signed elsewhere on a multi-year deal with a guarantee in 2023 but the Seahawks would likely have matched such an offer. Neal wanted a chance to start somewhere and the Seahawks have been generous in granting him that chance.

HawkinNY

Reaction score
I'm really liking Michael Jackson. Big. Tough. Physical. And he contests everything thrown in his direction. The guy has the right kind of swag.

That is one player that I wouldn't mind seeing on a multiyear deal.
He’s one of the best tacklers on the team.