.SI Article....The turmoil in Seattle..any truth?

Trrrroy

Reaction score
I imagine there is turmoil like this on every team in the NFL, just it doesn't become public because most teams don't have guys as outspoken as Sherman, Bennett, etc...

The Steelers had a very similar report come out back in 2006-2007ish with guys like Joey Porter publicly criticizing Roethlisberger.

hawksincebirth

Reaction score
hawknation2018":38dq3rkx said:
pittpnthrs":38dq3rkx said:
Didnt read the article yet but will. To me, it all comes back to the people on here that refused to see and admit there was a problem to begin with. Those are the people that are upset and mad that articles like this are coming out. Like somebody else mentioned, the 30 for 30 episode for this team will be interesting, and make no mistake about it, there will be one. Pete deserves the praise and thanks for building such a team, but he definitely deserves the criticism for allowing it to crumble also.

Scorpion05":38dq3rkx said:
NJlargent":38dq3rkx said:
Yet the way people talk on here you'd think the only SuperBowl we'd been to was 49

Unfortunately, thats the one that will be most remembered and for good reason.

Don't you love it when people comment on stories they haven't read? :lol:

The only coach in franchise history to win a Super Bowl is given less respect than he has earned.
Just like the players who won it for em , who now get zero respect lol

AgentDib

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":1fmtdydk said:
I bet 90% of the "sources" for that article is one Richard Sherman.
Anybody who takes you up on that bet deserves to lose their money.

hawksincebirth":1fmtdydk said:
U miss the mark here .. the players mentioned won their competitions, hence “always compete” losing it luster
The coaches felt they lost the competition. Of course some fans are going to feel differently; second guessing coaches is like 90% of what fans talk about. Kasen isn't currently on an NFL roster and the coaches in hindsight were correct that him making a couple of plays against backups in preseason did not outweigh the areas in which he was losing the competition - route running, blocking and football IQ.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1b1w79vp said:
As for the rest, Kasen Williams was one example. McDaniel gave another and he was right. While Williams might not have been a fit, McEvoy was a steaming pile of ish and the defense knew it. Regardless, the issue was that a standard of competition that the team put together was violated. Pete decided but he did not decide using the rules he laid down, or he did not adequately communicate it to the team. Yes, he needs to justify those decisions because you need buy-in from the stakeholders.
Kasen Williams? Seriously? He's done nothing in the league Except prove Pete was right to let him go.

Another thing: Players don't get to second-guess their coaches. That is the attitude the attitude that was the cancer on the team. They don't get to decide that Williams was better than McEvoy or that we should run or pass the ball.

Pete made them stars and they let it go to their heads and let their sense of entitlement run free. Entitled to more money. Entitled to call plays. Entitled to say who gets kept and who doesn't.

That's why they needed to go.

hawksincebirth

Reaction score
Thunderhawk":1cwi0pnh said:
After reading this "article" one troubling subtext emerges: Percy Harvin's bigoted accusation that "Russell isn't black enough" is still a factor for some players. There is no other logical reason that I can fathom for demonizing a Top 5 Pro Bowl QB than pure visceral prejudice.

Wilson has had the crap beaten out of him behind a terrible offensive line without once calling them out, yet made no excuses and still played at an elite level. How can you possibly resent him as a player apart from disliking his unconventional personality? It's incredible that in this so called 'age of inclusiveness' someone like Russ so deeply threatens certain players becaue he acts "too white" - whatever that means. He has been exemplary on and off the field and his teammates should recognize how vital he is to their success, but instead they seem preoccupied with some kind of racial litmus test. It's absurd.

And to those that think this is a misreading of the article, please present an alternate theory as to why Russell Wilson seems so reviled by some of his teammates despite being a borderline MVP candidate every year?
Google it , he’s been hated by his teammates most of his life... they did a story on it one day on ESPN .. the one show russillo and somebody
http://97rockonline.com/apparently-russell-wilsons-college-teammates-hate-him/

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":3b1xjubw said:
TwistedHusky":3b1xjubw said:
As for the rest, Kasen Williams was one example. McDaniel gave another and he was right. While Williams might not have been a fit, McEvoy was a steaming pile of ish and the defense knew it. Regardless, the issue was that a standard of competition that the team put together was violated. Pete decided but he did not decide using the rules he laid down, or he did not adequately communicate it to the team. Yes, he needs to justify those decisions because you need buy-in from the stakeholders.
Kasen Williams? Seriously? He's done nothing in the league Except prove Pete was right to let him go.

Another thing: Players don't get to second-guess their coaches. That is the attitude the attitude that was the cancer on the team. They don't get to decide that Williams was better than McEvoy or that we should run or pass the ball.

Pete made them stars and they let it go to their heads and let their sense of entitlement run free. Entitled to more money. Entitled to call plays. Entitled to say who gets kept and who doesn't.

Pete let his guys say what they wanted to, and guys like Wagner and Wilson were mature enough to handle it. Other guys forgot that with freedom come responsibility. They forgot who made them and gave them a voice.

mrt144

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":ttq82gsl said:
TwistedHusky":ttq82gsl said:

Too bad Pete still wanted to ride those shiny talents around the field while not doing much in the way of contrition to provide some sort of lifeline that he heard and understood them.

"That's Sherman being Sherman"

Sure, and Sherman was one of a handful who felt they were on a sinking ship with a sleeping captain who actively ignored the terror in his eyes as the water crept up to shoulder level.

Players don't get to second guess coaches, sure. Coaches reap what they sow, so I guess it all worked out as expected.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
Why do people keep lumping Michael Bennet in with "the disgruntleds"? Sure he was outspoken about social issues but my recollection is a team player guy who competed every game of every season, with a dry sense of humour to boot. Did he f'ing suck every time he jumped offside? Well, yes, there is that.

But I would welcome him back in a second.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Palmegranite":15vx7epe said:
Why do people keep lumping Michael Bennet in with "the disgruntleds"? Sure he was outspoken about social issues but my recollection is a team player guy who competed every game of every season, with a dry sense of humour to boot. Did he f'ing suck every time he jumped offside? Well, yes, there is that.

But I would welcome him back in a second.
They hate him because of racial issues.

The team really needs the turnover regardless. Still one to get rid of though.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1gjyjuii said:
Before you can solve a problem, you have to acknowledge it.

The Wilson worship has to stop. Wilson is a great player but he is not infallible. And the Seahawks are going to learn the hard way that placing all their bets on him can burn them hard. It already has.

What freaking "Wilson worship" ????????? Where is it? He is a top five QB by performance on most lists and according to Over The Cap his compensation puts him tied for 11th behind Flaco, Alex Smith, Andy Luck, Derek Carr, Matt Stafford, Jimmy G, and Kirk Cousins and at the same level as Brady, Big Ben, Rivers, Newton, and Sam Bradford. Where is the love you speak of? How does paying him his due make the ruination of this team his fault? How is his compensation different than any of the other veteran starting QB's in the league? The hawks were able to shell out top dollars to hold on to the NFL's two top safety's and the NFL's top CB and staff three levels deep rotation to keep the D line rested only because they got a franchise QB on a rookie salary. As soon as they had to pay the QB at a veteran starter rate things fell apart because we could no longer afford to keep all of those "super star" defenders and all of the top end depth and stay under the cap. You add to that front office misfires like Persey and lousy offensive line choices and here we are.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
IndyHawk":1zdiejcm said:
Not going to even bother saying much because it's obvious that a bunch of RW fanboy's
are so convinced that he does no wrong and is worth whatever amount it takes to keep him.
So he is too sensitive to be criticized(You kidding me?)I also see that he isn't a leader and
not much of a teamate.I wish the article was trash but SI is not the Enquire.
RW is perfectly despisable as noted on basically any team he's been on.

It's moot at this point though. This is now very much RW and Wagner's team and the Seahawks have to move forward with that.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Oh, to answer the title question, the article is likely almost all true.

And it means little to this upcoming season if the infection is dealt with.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
Pete has always preached always compete, and I think it is a very admirable concept. He dug himself a bit of a hole though getting young (volatile) stars such as Sherman to buy into it so deeply. The business of football itself sometimes by nature contradicts "always compete". Graded performances are weighted differently for players owed more $$. If the organization can save 90% on the contract by keeping a player who under-performs the next best player by 10%, they probably will.

Sherman is a smart guy, and I don't hold any ill-will towards him. If anything I think he may have bought into Pete's philosophy TOO much at the beginning. Hell, if I saw a couch start a 3rd round rookie over a QB signed for $$$ presumed to be the starter by everyone at the time, I too would probably think "damn, 'always compete' really does apply to EVERYONE with this coach." Then too have that confidence slowly chipped away by that same coach failing to hold other players responsible for certain things (over-blown or not), I can definitely see how that faith eroded.

Seymour

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":356xeyyv said:
I bet 90% of the "sources" for that article is one Richard Sherman.

Absolutely true!!! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ and 10% Bennett. :pukeface:

Made it half way through before figuring out the above^^^ was true and said screw this crap. Pretty much garbage IMO.

lobohawk

Reaction score
Some folks are confusing defending Wilson against such pettiness as worship. Most realize he has flaws, but they just don’t spend their time focusing on it.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I think to dismiss this article and say it's crap is being in denial. While a lot of the article stated the obvious, the quotes had to come from somewhere. I really have no problem with RW being protected, what franchise QB isn't. The part that I don't agree with Pete is how he spoke, "compete," "best man wins," etc. and then started to play guys based on youth and draft status. What Tony McDaniel said has to hold some weight. I can't remember, but who was playing in front of him at that time?

The players really believed in Pete and the system early on, but clearly didn't after the SB loss. Sometimes you just can't get over a loss that big, and that looks like the case here.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
lobohawk":23h5wrdh said:
Some folks are confusing defending Wilson against such pettiness as worship. Most realize he has flaws, but they just don’t spend their time focusing on it.

I think most people are frustrated at the stubborn persistence of Carroll to not address those flaws when they are applicable to winning more games. I totally agree with you that some people nag on every single small thing, but after your QB throws 4 interceptions in one game, there needs to be constructive criticism and a clear acknowledgement of failure if that is what you have held other players to throughout the year for lesser offenses.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Again, what's the point of rehashing OLD news, or even any kind of a Hit Piece a few days away from the start of the season? If I wanted to read a Tell All - The TRUTH Behind The LOB Era Champion Seahawks I would look for the book someday, far down the road.

Now? Not just a Hit Piece, but a largely REHASHED Hit Piece just days before Game 1.

Why?

The whole thing just stinks.