Should we fear losing Dan Quinn to a head coaching gig?

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Considering the defensive play most of the year, and the fact Gus Bradley got a job + Darrel Bevell being linked as a soon to be HC candidate .. could Quinn be looking at an opportunity somewhere?

Discuss.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Yes, the crappy part of being a good team. We are going to see many of our position coaches and coordinators get promotion offers on other teams.

Kris Richard might get some looks as a DC somewhere too with how much hype the Legion of Boom gets.

Many of us thought Quinn was an upgrade over Bradley so we were kind of happy when Bradley left. I'm not sure where Carroll would go for a DC if Quinn left.

jblaze

Reaction score
It's not a bad place to start your head coaching career. I'm worried. Let Holmgren coach the team for the bowl game and ride the Superb Owl train and then sign somewhere.

How often do you have a legit chance to win the big one? Not to mention, your prospects would likely be better after that win and maybe in the NFL.

mikeak

Reaction score
Posted this in the NCAA thread about the USC hiring but will paste in my post and the added info here. Thought it was interesting as it relates to coordinators under PC

sc85sis":2ndnz4b9 said:
mikeak":2ndnz4b9 said:
So was listening to the Herd this morning and he had a sports writer from California on today (sorry no clue what his name was). They talked about the hire and the writer made an interesting point.

He said that PC had all his coordinators mock interview every year. He said PC thought part of his job was to put his coordinators in better jobs at all times. He was therefore not surprised that Sark came in and nailed it with the USC guys as he had mock interviewed for that exact job multiple times over.

You can take away from it what you want but it told me that when others try to hold back coordinators (read 49ers that didn't let some interview this year) PC believes that people should always aspire and his job is to mentor them to succed.

Kind of cool
Yep, this is true. I have the audio of one of Pete's corporate speaking gigs from several years ago (it was available on the original version of his website) and he mentioned this. He said he told all his guys that he would do whatever he could to help them get their dream job. The mock interviews were part of that; the rest of the staff provided feedback.

He also said that once they did decide to leave he'd compete like crazy to keep them, and that he always worked to have a plan for what to do when someone left.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Won't happen this year imo.

It could, maybe a couple of years down the road.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
Carroll runs the defense.

I may be in the minority but I am more afraid of losing Darrell Bevell.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Yes, though Quinn doesn't quite have the bravado that Gus has. The best part is I know Quinn is a better coordinator.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
mikeak":138e0zng said:
Posted this in the NCAA thread about the USC hiring but will paste in my post and the added info here. Thought it was interesting as it relates to coordinators under PC

sc85sis":138e0zng said:
mikeak":138e0zng said:
So was listening to the Herd this morning and he had a sports writer from California on today (sorry no clue what his name was). They talked about the hire and the writer made an interesting point.

He said that PC had all his coordinators mock interview every year. He said PC thought part of his job was to put his coordinators in better jobs at all times. He was therefore not surprised that Sark came in and nailed it with the USC guys as he had mock interviewed for that exact job multiple times over.

You can take away from it what you want but it told me that when others try to hold back coordinators (read 49ers that didn't let some interview this year) PC believes that people should always aspire and his job is to mentor them to succed.

Kind of cool
Yep, this is true. I have the audio of one of Pete's corporate speaking gigs from several years ago (it was available on the original version of his website) and he mentioned this. He said he told all his guys that he would do whatever he could to help them get their dream job. The mock interviews were part of that; the rest of the staff provided feedback.

He also said that once they did decide to leave he'd compete like crazy to keep them, and that he always worked to have a plan for what to do when someone left.

Really good posting. In the military, you try to train the people under you to take your job away from you so you can progress up the next ladder in the chain as those have progressed or retired. Sounds like a fantastic concept. Thanks for the posting. :D

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
Absolutely. Quinn has a pedigree of success, a terrific football mind, a dynamic personality with outstanding/articulate communication skills and class, and a superb network of references from successful (if not elite) coaches that he's worked under or with, including Pete Carroll, Nick Saban, Steve Mariucci and numerous members of the Bill Belichick coaching tree such as Saban, Eric Mangini, Will Muschamp and Charlie Weis...just to name a very few. If Quinn isn't a HC somewhere in 2014 then I fully expect he will be in 2015. I also think Kris Richard is the DC-in-waiting/training for the Hawks after Quinn departs.

Galen96

Reaction score
I don't like bevell, but I wouldn't want for the offense to have to learn a new playbook..

Mojambo

Reaction score
TDOTSEAHAWK":3shwmsd9 said:

Yep.

I think Bevell is as good as gone. He's probably the top coordinator head coaching candidate.

I'd prefer not to lose Quinn, but mostly because consistency is generally a good thing.

Carroll seems pretty hands on with the defense.

ratso

Reaction score
I imagine every assistant coach in the league desires to "be the man", but it almost always means going to a very crappy team. Sure, they'd offer him 4 or 5 times the money he's making here as a DC, but Paul Allen will surely give him a big fat raise if he remains. And couple that with a chance to win multiple Super Bowls? .....He's still young. They'll be more offers down the road.

McGruff

Reaction score
HawkFan72":1759m7d3 said:
Yes, the crappy part of being a good team. We are going to see many of our position coaches and coordinators get promotion offers on other teams.

Kris Richard might get some looks as a DC somewhere too with how much hype the Legion of Boom gets.

Many of us thought Quinn was an upgrade over Bradley so we were kind of happy when Bradley left. I'm not sure where Carroll would go for a DC if Quinn left.

Next man up . . . Kris Richard.

McGruff

Reaction score
Mojambo":ioakjpdu said:
TDOTSEAHAWK":ioakjpdu said:

Yep.

I think Bevell is as good as gone. He's probably the top coordinator head coaching candidate.

I'd prefer not to lose Quinn, but mostly because consistency is generally a good thing.

Carroll seems pretty hands on with the defense.

Next man up. Cable as OC, Carl Smith manages the passing game.