Votes: 15 20.5%
  • Still way to painful. No way.

Votes: 58 79.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BlueTalon

Reaction score
jkitsune":2ck8r4en said:
I hate the Steelers a little bit less now that we won XLVIII, but XL itself still makes me nauseous.
I hate the rustbuckets MORE now. I hate their idiot colorblind bandwagon fans, I hate the revisionist history involved with XL* (and XLIII*, for that matter -- they got a huge referee assist in that game too), I hate the rapist, I hate Rooney and his racist rule, I hate their stupid lopsided helmets, and I hate the favoritism they get from league and media.

I sports-hate the digits.
I hate-hate the rustbuckets.

I suppose I should say something about the game, eh? It nauseates me too. I tried to watch it one time, because I remember how we dominated them. Just like against the Donkos, the rustbuckets couldn't get a 1st down until the game was a third of the way finished. We manhandled them. But once I started watching, there was the phantom OPI, the bad spot on Mack Strong's 3rd down run, the uncalled horsecollar tackle on Shaun Alexander, the phantom TD...

When I watched the game at a sports bar, the rustbucket fans who were there had enough sense to know we'd been screwed. When I shook their hands to congratulate them, many of them had their heads hanging, and there was no bravado at all, no boasting, no bragging, nothing. That really didn't get started until later.

I still daydream about tieing Mike Perierra to a chair, making him watch the game again, and tazing him in the nuts on every bad call (and non-call) in the game he said was well officiated.

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
The thing about XL for me, beyond the terrible calls, is we had the ball to end both halves, and Holmgren treated those possessions (and everyone did really) like they'd never played the game of football before. Worst clock management I've ever seen. In the Super Bowl, no less.

evergreen

Reaction score
KARAVARUS":1jxmyrgj said:
The thing about XL for me, beyond the terrible calls, is we had the ball to end both halves, and Holmgren treated those possessions (and everyone did really) like they'd never played the game of football before. Worst clock management I've ever seen. In the Super Bowl, no less.
Holmy was a bad clock manager. A few fieldgoals could've won the game had they not gotten the trick play. I'm surprised at the deep feelings still. At the time and for years I felt like a family member had died. Then it became obvious that it was the only chance for that team. Now though, it's a whole new thing. Can you imagine this team getting shafted like that? No way. That was a great team but far mor like the Donkos than this Hawks team. Offense and finesse, even with SA we weren't a power team. Yeah I know our OL was HOF material. I saw the NFL Films version and they cut out all controversial calls except Big Ben's phantom TD.

But now we have the best young team in a long, long time. Maybe since those damn steelers? Or is it since the Pats? Or is it more like the Cowboys of the 90s? Or more like the other 3rd round HOF QB's teams of the 80s? Anyway, we're light years from those dark days!

Cyrus12

Reaction score
its on right now...The Rapist just got his goal line TD... * required beside this victory as well as the one vs the Cardinals...

Also just because we have a trophy now does not make up for XL. Seahawks got screwed plain and simple with phantom touchdowns and phantom holding calls. I often wonder how hung over or drugged out Jerramy Stevens was at XL...He also really blew it out there too...

Would have been nice to see guys like Jones and Hasselbeck get a ring.

Ziggyy108

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":2flsp1pa said:
The Outfield":2flsp1pa said:
You will not enjoy watching it....

Watch other games from that year, like the NFCC game if possible.
That's what I do.

Watching the Saints MNF game right now... final score 34-7... and it was the only game that I attended in person last year... great game and at the time, was huge for us ultimately getting the #1 seed.

Still have the NCFCG, the playoff win over the Saints, the 29-3 win over SF, the 42-13 win over SF in 2012, and the 2012 OT win over the Bears in Chicago that kick-started the HoF career of one VERY special QB named Russell Wilson.

I was at that saints game too. Beautiful experience.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
BlueTalon":38tmamwf said:
jkitsune":38tmamwf said:
I hate the Steelers a little bit less now that we won XLVIII, but XL itself still makes me nauseous.
I hate the rustbuckets MORE now. I hate their idiot colorblind bandwagon fans, I hate the revisionist history involved with XL* (and XLIII*, for that matter -- they got a huge referee assist in that game too), I hate the rapist, I hate Rooney and his racist rule, I hate their stupid lopsided helmets, and I hate the favoritism they get from league and media.

I sports-hate the digits.
I hate-hate the rustbuckets.

I suppose I should say something about the game, eh? It nauseates me too. I tried to watch it one time, because I remember how we dominated them. Just like against the Donkos, the rustbuckets couldn't get a 1st down until the game was a third of the way finished. We manhandled them. But once I started watching, there was the phantom OPI, the bad spot on Mack Strong's 3rd down run, the uncalled horsecollar tackle on Shaun Alexander, the phantom TD...

When I watched the game at a sports bar, the rustbucket fans who were there had enough sense to know we'd been screwed. When I shook their hands to congratulate them, many of them had their heads hanging, and there was no bravado at all, no boasting, no bragging, nothing. That really didn't get started until later.

I still daydream about tieing Mike Perierra to a chair, making him watch the game again, and tazing him in the nuts on every bad call (and non-call) in the game he said was well officiated.
Word. Agreed!

Seahawkscrazy

Reaction score
Yknow what? I was among the most fired up of seahawks fans after this debacle, and everyone who met me or knew me at all knew about it. Ive berated Stealers fans in the grocery store, once at my mechanic, even in a Barnes and Noble. I hated being forced to take that game up the wazzu (no inferences implied) and be shown once and for all, on the grandest stage possible, that an east coast bias certainly does exist, and it was being used to bullywhip the team that i had so deeply emotionslly invested myself.

After the Superb Owl, i wondered if id feel any differently. I got my answer earler today.

I sat and watched the end of the halftime festivities and the beginning of the second half, all the way up until Willie Parker made his long td run.

I didnt evem get mad.

Ill tell you, in my previous and only viewing of this game, i fired mt remote control at the ground after this play, and lost several other miscellaneous items around my living room. It was a great day for Radio Shack.

I still react in a volitile enough manner to games, but i have small children so the worst i can do is fire a teddy bear into the opposite room.

I was honestly shocked at how little this game affected me. I turned it off after a couple more plays.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
That game was tainted before the ball is snapped.

This is the play that went to the 1 and was called holding on lock. See anything wrong?

U9eme7yr

Same one

u8u4e6a7.jpg

Oh.. caught this on 3rd and 19. It was another no call.

6e4y9yre.jpg

And they say it was proper. 3 penalties went against Pittsburgh, 2 of which were false starts in their first drive. After being the least penalized team for 2005 the Hawks had 7. I am not mad about it at all, nothing the Hawks could do. Just had to swallow that one and move on. The 2013 team was so good that they wouldn't let the refs be a factor.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I did that from tapatalk, I bet those pics look huge on a pc. I will fix it later.

I don't know if the Hawks would have won the game, but I know one thing for sure. If the last pic wasn't holding, then Locklear shouldn't have been called by a mile. It should have been offsides and 1st and goal from the 1. With a RB that broke the TD record that year, the best line in the NFL at that point against a Steeler team that got gashed on the ground all day.

main

Reaction score
I watched part of Super Bowl XL last night. Once I saw a bullshit call, I immediately changed the channel. I didn't want to risk having a stroke.

dbmack

Reaction score
I have watched every Super Bowl since the very first one but I have never rewatched any of them except XLVIII. I have seen highlights of some of the others over the years, even XL, but not the entire game.

halps80

Reaction score
I watched it, and it didn't affect me. It's a testament to just how vastly superior the 2013 team is to 2005 team.

I feel detached from that team and that game now that the current regime has won it all. We were to that SB what the Donkeys were to this one: a high-flying offense, a mediocre D, and an overrated game-day coach (holmy is an outstanding coach in most respects, but his in-game decisions left a lot to be desired, IMHO).

What that game does is to underscore how much better our current FO and coaching staff are, and how superior the makeup of this team and it's defense-first philosophy are.

The 2005 team is what a conference champ looks like. The 2013 team is what a world champ looks like.

irfuben32

Reaction score
I finally felt ready to watch it again.

It was interesting. This team is SO MUCH BETTER then that team.

I wanted to see if it was as bad as a I remembered. And it was.

3rd quarter Seahawks driving for the go-ahead score

Pittsburgh is offsides 2 plays in a row and neither is called

Alexander is BLATANTLY horse collared and no call.

Hasselback is penalized for tackling the ball carrier that intercepted his pass which of course he never should have been throwing because by all rights they should have been on the goal line with Alexander punching it in behind Hutch and Jones.

Still though If Ken Hamlin wasn't out partying he wouldn't have gotten his head kicked in and we probably would have won because the 3rd string safety cost us at least 14 points

BlueTalon

Reaction score
dbmack":dztudii4 said:
I have watched every Super Bowl since the very first one but I have never rewatched any of them except XLVIII*.
So you did rewatch that one? That game made me wonder if (A) blocking in the back was still a penalty in the NFL, and (B) if the rustbuckets were capable of winning a super Bowl without blatant assistance from the refs. I guess Green Bay showed us what actually happens when the rusties play in a Super Bowl and don't get a boost from the zebras.

(edit: I misread XLVIII as "XLIII" -- apparently my eyes and brain don't work without at least four cups of coffee in me.)

irfuben32":dztudii4 said:
Still though If Ken Hamlin wasn't out partying he wouldn't have gotten his head kicked in and we probably would have won because the 3rd string safety cost us at least 14 points
I am one of the few here who do not blame Etric Pruitt for what happened that night. I put that all on Holmgren and the coaches. On a Pete Carroll coached team, there is absolutely no way Pruitt goes into that game in that situation as unprepared as he was. Holmgren, on the other hand, loved his veterans, had his favorites, and didn't give 3rd stringers adequate reps in practice (if any at all). Pruitt was originally picked up because he was an athletic kid who had a lot of potential -- those kind of players get a lot of opportunities to show what they can do under Pete Carroll. If he was still on the roster for a Super Bowl, Etric Pruitt would have made a solid contribution, instead of gaffing the way he did.

dbmack

Reaction score
BlueTalon":1pl0six9 said:
dbmack":1pl0six9 said:
I have watched every Super Bowl since the very first one but I have never rewatched any of them except XLVIII*.
So you did rewatch that one? That game made me wonder if (A) blocking in the back was still a penalty in the NFL, and (B) if the rustbuckets were capable of winning a super Bowl without blatant assistance from the refs. I guess Green Bay showed us what actually happens when the rusties play in a Super Bowl and don't get a boost from the zebras.
Of course I rewatched XLVIII. Who are the rustbuckets?

BlueTalon

Reaction score
dbmack":rlvx35h2 said:
BlueTalon":rlvx35h2 said:
dbmack":rlvx35h2 said:
Of course I rewatched XLVIII. Who are the rustbuckets?
My bad. You wrote "XLVIII" and I read "XLIII" -- my mind wasn't on Seahawk Super Bowls, it was on Super Bowls in which the rustbuckets (stealers) got away with murder and consequently had the higher score at the end of the game.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
XL was a rough one.

We used to have season tickets before that, for years.

I still remember sitting in Husky stadium (before the CLink was built) and watching our team get shelled by crappy teams. We didn't have cover then (not sure why) and so I would end up having to empty my boots midway through the game because they would get waterlogged. But we stuck through it, stuck through the Dilfer chants and the Hass miscues until the team started to turn around.

Then XL happened. It was so blatant as to be ludicrous. I literally stopped watching professional football for a year and half (maybe two) because I was so bothered that the result was so rigged. Even worse was hearing from people that I know about what Holmgren was telling people in private about the NFL not wanting Seattle to win, and his opinion that they likely would never allow it.

Finally, there were the Pittsburgh fans.

Some were gracious enough to acknowledge it, but some were just asses. I ended up moving several business conferences that were scheduled in that city because of that one. I also made sure that some firms in Pitt were not used as vendors. It was a ridiculous and spiteful thing to do, and probably petty but I "hated" that city and so it was probably worth it.

So yeah, it sucked. But that Seahawk team was also a pretty middling SB team as they go. And if they won that one, do you really think that Holmgren would have left as early as he did, allowing the dominoes to fall that ultimately brought Pete here? If we won XL, it is unlikely that we would have had the team we have now and very unlikely that we would have had the coach we have now.

Yes we got screwed, but now one of the top SB teams of all time (near top five perhaps) was carrying the Seahawks' banner. We got the privilege of seeing one of the better teams of all time, with a secondary that is likely as legendary as those old Raider secondaries. And we got one of the most dominating SB performances of all time against what was supposedly one of the best offenses ever.

It might just have been worth it.

Latest posts