Shift in draft priorities with addition of two OL?

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
IIRC, --ONE of the SEVERAL methods used by the Seahawks in player evaluation is:
--Comparison of existing Seahawk 53-man roster players to potential draft picks, looking for improvement potential for the entire roster. When I look at the current roster, I can easily see 10-12 players that could potentially be beat out in competition with draft picks at their positions. I highly recommend doing your own research on the roster, it may enlighten some of y'all's draft priorities.

A good example might be Seahawk FS-Steven Terrell, the primary backup to ET.
IMO- A 4-th round pick (or so) of a FS, like --FS/CB-Sean Davis-- (2015: 5-FF, a "thumper" with high solo tackle #'s) of Maryland makes a lot of sense. IMO, Davis easily replaces Terrell and adds much more DB flexibility as Davis is very competent at both FS & CB. A 4-th round pick (or so) of a backup FS that also can play CB well would be a good investment if ET ever was lost for multiple games due to injury, ET is coming off an injury and is certainly not getting any younger and he fills a key position in the defensive backfield that makes the whole system work. Why wouldn't they want to plan ahead and improve his backup? Note that Davis is 2+" taller & .04 slower than ET but may actually have better agility scores than ET.

firebee

Reaction score
CamanoIslandJQ":a45hevfe said:
IIRC, --ONE of the SEVERAL methods used by the Seahawks in player evaluation is:
--Comparison of existing Seahawk 53-man roster players to potential draft picks, looking for improvement potential for the entire roster. When I look at the current roster, I can easily see 10-12 players that could potentially be beat out in competition with draft picks at their positions. I highly recommend doing your own research on the roster, it may enlighten some of y'all's draft priorities.

A good example might be Seahawk FS-Steven Terrell, the primary backup to ET.
IMO- A 4-th round pick (or so) of a FS, like --FS/CB-Sean Davis-- (2015: 5-FF, a "thumper" with high solo tackle #'s) of Maryland makes a lot of sense. IMO, Davis easily replaces Terrell and adds much more DB flexibility as Davis is very competent at both FS & CB. A 4-th round pick (or so) of a backup FS that also can play CB well would be a good investment if ET ever was lost for multiple games due to injury, ET is coming off an injury and is certainly not getting any younger and he fills a key position in the defensive backfield that makes the whole system work. Why wouldn't they want to plan ahead and improve his backup? Note that Davis is 2+" taller & .04 slower than ET but may actually have better agility scores than ET.

I like Sean Davis, but I'm not sure about us grabbing a DB in that range. It could happen. If it doesn't, I'm really liking Trae Elston as a FS/CB option. Wasn't invited to the combine, so I'm waiting on Ole Miss pro day to see how he measures up, but he looks very Shermanesque in a lot of ways.

ivotuk

Reaction score
firebee":1tlw00ic said:
cover-2":1tlw00ic said:
I think the Seahawks are just hedging their bets. If all their 1st round graded OT's are off the board at pick #26, then they will be in a position to where they don't have to reach on a player like Texas Tech OT Le'Raven Clark at #26.
or Germain Ifedi... When I watch him, I just don't see what everyone likes about his play. He looks the part and shows okay balance, but his quickness and explosion isn't very good. The guy's hand activity and hand speed is atrocious. He gets beat to the punch more often than not. Those long arms don't mean squat if a telegraph gets to a defender before his hands do. Someone help me out here. He looks the part physically, but he's a really slooowww twitch athlete.

I think Ifedi is getting over rated because of his measurables. He failed at LT and is a waste to pick a RT at 26 when they are better players available. We've reached on Oline before and it's been wasted picks.

I would prefer Billings/Butler our another high ranked DL at 26, another DT in the 2nd, then Graham Glasgow for center. He did really well at the Senior Bowl and I'm really high on the guy.

I think there is just too much value in the DL early and with losing Mebane, the injuries on Avril, and Bennett possibly pricing himself out of Seattle we need to build up defensive talent.

OP
OP
QuahHawk

QuahHawk

Reaction score
ivotuk":157knn4h said:
[
I think Ifedi is getting over rated because of his measurables. He failed at LT and is a waste to pick a RT at 26 when they are better players available. We've reached on Oline before and it's been wasted picks.

I would prefer Billings/Butler our another high ranked DL at 26, another DT in the 2nd, then Graham Glasgow for center. He did really well at the Senior Bowl and I'm really high on the guy.

I think there is just too much value in the DL early and with losing Mebane, the injuries on Avril, and Bennett possibly pricing himself out of Seattle we need to build up defensive talent.

Feels like most people think we are going to draft OL because it was such a glaring weakness last year. I am of the belief that our Management believes that Cable can coach up just about any group of guys to become adequate enough to win games. Without spending big money or investing our highest picks on OL they will attempt to go another season without sinking heavy resources into the position.

We have and will win championships with our Defense and are at a turning point where we need to reenergize our defense.

We have withered the loss of Browner, Maxwell, Thurmond, Clemons, Bryant, Branch, and McDonald. We are about to see what life is like without Mebane and Irvin both solid pieces to one of the best front 7's in the NFL.

Right now our lack of proven talent in our front 7 is scarier to me than dealing with a below avg OL again.

Until Clark, Hill, and KPL prove they can be counted on to start we need more insurance. I think the look to draft a guy so they will be ready to replace Hill next year. Alothough I feel strongly that we haven't been particularly successful at drafting DL and have hit time after time by bringing in Vet DL.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
WE may have signed some OL depth.. May have ... but we still lack starters!

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Doesn't change a thing.

Sowell probably doesn't make the team. Webb will start. If he starts at LG, then we're potentially looking at 3 new starters (and one position switch). So yeah I expect we're taking 3 OL in the top 160.

Fortunately, this is the draft to do that.

titan3131

Reaction score
How legit would it be if our 2nd year oline just showed up And won the jobs.

Gilliam lt
Webb LG
Sokoli center
Glowinkski RG
Poole Rt

And then the rookies fight into the competition

McGruff

Reaction score
titan3131":3mauruxl said:

Gilliam lt
Webb LG
Sokoli center
Glowinkski RG
Poole Rt

I don't see Poole making the leap, but I could see Gilliam, Sokoli, Lewis, Glowinksi, Webb.

Shane Falco

Reaction score
McGruff":1x6bgz80 said:
titan3131":1x6bgz80 said:

Gilliam lt
Webb LG
Sokoli center
Glowinkski RG
Poole Rt

I don't see Poole making the leap, but I could see Gilliam, Sokoli, Lewis, Glowinksi, Webb.

Hard to believe we took Poole over C Shaq Mason who went the very next pick to NE. Was regarded as a mauler in the run game with a mean streak. Saw a lot of rookie playing time due to all their injuries.. don't know how he fared though. Instead, we get a DT in the 6th round. :lol:

Back to the topic:
I feel like they still need to address the o-line... mostly with an early pick at LT... I don't think they'd grab more than a couple 0-line guys altogether. Would love to get a NFL ready day 1 starter at LT. Who knows how they feel... probably going after another playmaker that drops for whatever reason with that first pick.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I'm still very confident that an offensive tackle and a guard/center prospect will be among the first three picks. That's where the talent depth is in this draft, luckily. You don't not take advantage of that because you signed a couple of journeymen to increase competition.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Shane Falco":af9urwad said:
Hard to believe we took Poole over C Shaq Mason who went the very next pick to NE. Was regarded as a mauler in the run game with a mean streak. Saw a lot of rookie playing time due to all their injuries.. don't know how he fared though. Instead, we get a DT in the 6th round. :lol:

I was crushed. Mainly because I felt (and still feel) that Pauline really does have a good ear. When he said we liked Poole, I believed it and at the same time hated it. Was one of the prospects I liked least and kind of went into the draft knowing we were going to blow a pick on him.

Mason was one of my very favorite players. And he's a rising star for the Pats. They kind of see him similar to Mankins potential wise. Once we picked Glowinski, I figured there was no chance on Mason.

I think it's pretty obvious based on how we treated the OC position all last year -- that this FO severely miscalculated the value that having a quality center provides. I don't think they make the numerous moves they made last year if they had an idea of how bad it could potentially get.

And I don't think the position goes similarly unaddressed this year. I fully expect one of these first four picks in day 1/2 goes to a center.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
After Pete's most recent interview about the offensive line I do think there is a shift in draft priorities. He really likes the LT competition of Gilliam and Sowell and rightfully so. Gilliam went from one of the worst to one of the best RTs in the league during last year and LT is his more natural position, the kid could be a long time solution there. Couple that with Sowell as insurance policy who is a fitter Bailey with a higher ceiling and LT looks like a better situation than last year. Why draft a LT in the first if you're already content in your situation? RT also is pretty packed with our most expensive lineman Webb manning that positon, Poole and Britt were said to be other options. Getting an OT with our first will probably just be a waste of a pick right now.

I'm actually liking the option of picking up an interior guy in the first. We're going to need an extra guard and some help at center is no must but could work wonders. The best value in my eyes would probably be getting Ryan Kelly at #26 as their are multiple really good guard prospects that could be on the board in round 3 like Westerman, Drango or McGovern, while the drop-off at center is pretty big after Kelly and Nick Martin.

titan3131

Reaction score
Jonathan Bullard @ 26 book it.

What pete said was that we would address the pass rush. Bullard will do that.

chris98251

Reaction score
First mistake, believe what someone says before the draft..................... After all we were set at and Happy with Flynn as our starter the year we drafted Wilson.

Reaction score
I like the idea of LT,G or C in 1st round. DT in second round and LT,G or C for our 1st 3rd round pick. I can get behind that and think that's would be a smart move by the front office.

DJrmb

Reaction score
I'm thinking we'll take an offensive lineman (a tackle) in either the 1st or 2nd round and then one more (a center or guard) later on in the 4th or 5th round.

xgeoff

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":3dr55f2s said:
I think so. Maybe not OL OL OL for the 1st 3 picks. I am strongly in favor of drafting a tackle with our 1st pick. This is a good draft for starting tackles, but only probably 6 or 7 deep. We have Gilliam for 2 more years and thats about it. I say grab a tackle in the 1st and maybe at least 1 more interior depth in the 3rd or 4th.
Agreed!

xgeoff

Reaction score
titan3131":1aerpe6n said:
I think we're best off going

1 OT
2 trade down for additional 3rd and 4th
3 dt
3 C /G
3 Lb
4 G/C
4 some kind of defensive player