Sherman non facemask on Edelman

cymatica

Reaction score
Yet in the saints game the excuse the pick play wasnt called in the endzone, was because they were too far back to see if it was beyond 1 yard

joeseahawks

Reaction score
I don't understand people defending referees for making calls they can't see. If he didn't have a good view to see it, why would he guess? Are they being paid to guess?
If you don't see it clearly, you don't call it.

Rob12

Reaction score
Looked like a penalty in real time. It wasn't. But that begs the question, should penalties be reviewable? I'd say yes when they are helping decide so many games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob12

Reaction score
scutterhawk":e3h1s05h said:
McGruff":e3h1s05h said:
He didn't get the face mask, and it's not a penasty at all. But give the ref a little slack on that one. Live and in the heat of battle, most of us would make the same call with seeing the arm and the way the head turns.

I think that ANY 15 yard penalty should be up for review...It wouldn't eliminate mistakes by the Referees, but it would help them to rectify many of the game changing mistakes that they make.

This! 10+ yards awarded, give the offending team the chance to review the call. Too many drives are extended and game outcomes altered because of this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob12

Reaction score
bigtrain21":2hfbugvg said:
I'm surprised by how many people think it is okay to call something you don't see just because it looks like he grabbed the facemask from the refs perspective.

Think about it. The ref didn't actually see the facemask get grabbed yet he blew his whistle and threw his yellow flag for that. If you don't see it, you can't just assume it happened.

Ever been a referee in a football game?

This will likely be the one and only time you see me defend them but the body language on both sides makes it look like not only a face mask, but a blatant face mask. Obviously, we know that's not true and that is exactly why penalties of this caliber should be subject to review.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
bigtrain21":1efizxhq said:
I'm surprised by how many people think it is okay to call something you don't see just because it looks like he grabbed the facemask from the refs perspective.

Think about it. The ref didn't actually see the facemask get grabbed yet he blew his whistle and threw his yellow flag for that. If you don't see it, you can't just assume it happened.

The ref did see it--from behind. It absolutely looked like a face mask penalty. But further, think about this: if he doesn't call it, he's absolutely murdered for missing a flagrant foul, one that would have been obvious to every single person watching it, and one that could mean a 30-yard play differential and a swing of the game's outcome. And what's he going to say in his defense? "I didn't call it because I didn't see it?" It's not like there aren't plenty of "blind referee" complaints, and with good reason.

I'd have called that one myself. And yeah, I'd have been wrong. And it's all the more reason for things like that should be reviewable by replay and reversible.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Didn't see where CJ's knee was either but didn't stop them from calling him down before the ball crossed the goal line.

Largent80

Reaction score
Why is a ref, who is completely blinded by being behind both players even making this call. The video proof is right there. It's atrocious

CHawk

Reaction score
I was at the game and even when the replayed on the screen it looked like a facemask. The rule is any opening on the helmet not just the facemask.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

HawkFreak

Reaction score
SeaToTheHawks":2jj9tc47 said:
Year of The Hawk":2jj9tc47 said:
McGruff":2jj9tc47 said:
He didn't get the face mask, and it's not a penasty at all. But give the ref a little slack on that one. Live and in the heat of battle, most of us would make the same call with seeing the arm and the way the head turns.

This...

No. You only call it if you actually see it. It's not good enough to assume it's there.

This.
No clear view of the play should = no assumption about what could have happened. if you don't see it - you shouldn't call it.

LawlessHawk

Reaction score
oregonhawkfan":i0vs759o said:
At the very least, he should get his $9000 dollars back. :stirthepot:

Great idea... I think the Players Union should be allowed to fine the refs ( The NFL) on the behalf of the player for egregious bad calls against them!!

Tung-in-cheek... sorta.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Obviously it was a bad call.

It's weird how Michaels and Collinsworth didn't go back to that missed call over and over, even after the end of the game, just to show how outraged they were over that missed call.

Oh wait, that would only happen if it favored us

Jville

Reaction score
That was a difficult call to make. Easy to second guess either way.

Overall ..... I thought the officials let them play and called a very good game.

sutz

Reaction score
But there was another official with a better view. Another ref ran in and talked to that ref from farther down field. I was hoping they would pick up the flag when he came in, but they didn't. They did talk it out.

Chalk it up as another "Oh well" moment in Seahawks lore.

253hawk

Reaction score
Yet they completely missed this one in the DAL/PIT game:

beasl.0.jpg

12thbrah

Reaction score
I pretty much assumed every borderline call in this game was going to go New England's way. Sherman's non PI, Blount's first goal line TD, Prosise crossing the goal line.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":bsy3ab2d said:
bigtrain21":bsy3ab2d said:

The ref did see it--from behind. It absolutely looked like a face mask penalty. But further, think about this: if he doesn't call it, he's absolutely murdered for missing a flagrant foul, one that would have been obvious to every single person watching it, and one that could mean a 30-yard play differential and a swing of the game's outcome. And what's he going to say in his defense? "I didn't call it because I didn't see it?" It's not like there aren't plenty of "blind referee" complaints, and with good reason.

I'd have called that one myself. And yeah, I'd have been wrong. And it's all the more reason for things like that should be reviewable by replay and reversible.

This is a good point but I will say it bothers me in the sense of "All the elements of a hold" that we remember from XL*.

Throw on top of that the obvious face mask(s) that haven't been called in the Seahawks' favor and, well . . .

Latest posts