Sherman non facemask on Edelman

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
shm.0.gif

http://www.sbnation.com/2016/11/13/...julian-edelman-shoulder-pad-seahawks-patriots

In the second quarter of the Seattle Seahawks’ matchup against the New England Patriots, Richard Sherman was flagged for a facemask against Julian Edelman, and he shouldn’t have been.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Completely clean and he should get another apology this week from the refs. It's becoming a weekly tradition.

McGruff

Reaction score
He didn't get the face mask, and it's not a penasty at all. But give the ref a little slack on that one. Live and in the heat of battle, most of us would make the same call with seeing the arm and the way the head turns.

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
At the very least, he should get his $9000 dollars back. :stirthepot:

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
McGruff":2vho8f8a said:
He didn't get the face mask, and it's not a penasty at all. But give the ref a little slack on that one. Live and in the heat of battle, most of us would make the same call with seeing the arm and the way the head turns.

This...

seahawkfreak

Reaction score

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
McGruff":u08d8f12 said:

This is how I see it. Yes, it was absolutely the wrong call on the field. Yes, Sherman will be vindicated. He'll probably tweet out the play this week.

But if you don't see where his hand is, the movement of both players makes the play look like a face mask. Head came around, hand was right there, head twisted like the face mask was grabbed. Wrong call, but a really tough one to get right on the field. It would be nice if those were reviewable.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
McGruff":cu9ev0yv said:

I think that ANY 15 yard penalty should be up for review...It wouldn't eliminate mistakes by the Referees, but it would help them to rectify many of the game changing mistakes that they make.

evergreen

Reaction score
Chris Collingsworth new Sherman was right. And that was before the replay.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
And yet: will there be any accountability? Will a ref or NFL exec pay any price? Of course not.

No wonder there's a drop in viewership. Micromanage the game and this is what you get.

SeaToTheHawks

Reaction score
Year of The Hawk":jo5ofu11 said:
McGruff":jo5ofu11 said:

This...

No. You only call it if you actually see it. It's not good enough to assume it's there.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I totally 100% believe the refs were not "jobbing" us here. It was clearly a call most humans would make given their vantage point and how Edelman's head moved towards Sherman's hands on his shoulder pads.

This is a great example of why I believe face masks and other automatic 15-yard penalties should be allowed to be challenged.

This was not a horrific call...It was an understandable call given the lack of instant replay.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
I'm surprised by how many people think it is okay to call something you don't see just because it looks like he grabbed the facemask from the refs perspective.

Think about it. The ref didn't actually see the facemask get grabbed yet he blew his whistle and threw his yellow flag for that. If you don't see it, you can't just assume it happened.

THE TABS

Reaction score
It irritates me when an official makes a call without even seeing it. Happens in the NBA all the time, and it's a big reason why I don't watch it anymore.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
That was a bad call.

IMO a facemask penalty isn't subjective, why can't that be reviewable?