Sheldon Richardson one of the "riskiest" free agents

adeltaY

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure he's better than any interior pass rusher on our roster. He had a fair few pressures. I also think it was a down year for him. Would any team really pay 10M+ APY for a guy with 2.5 sacks over the past two years like vin mentioned?

I doubt it, but it is also possible we didn't use him correctly and he goes elsewhere and plays really well. He did have 8 and 6.5 sack seasons before, so the talent is definitely there.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/greggrosenthal/status/964570652337254401[/tweet]

“Like the Rams with Sammy Watkins, the Seahawks could use the franchise tag to help justify a previous trade,” writes Gregg Rosenthal, Around The NFL Editor. “Seattle gave up a second-round pick and receiver Jermaine Kearse to get 654 solid, if unspectacular, snaps out of Richardson. It’s been three full seasons since Richardson has played his best, but coach Pete Carroll is already on the record about trying to keep him.

“The tag is the easiest way to accomplish that.”

edogg23

Reaction score
If the seahawks front office have learned anything, they should stay far away from a long term deal. Franchise or transition tag only please.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
Seymour":3ik5rqt9 said:
If this team goes out and spends $12-15M per year to sign Sheldon, I will officially be on the run Pete and John out of town train. Decent player for around $8M and nothing more than that.

Our annual SB run is over. We need to focus on getting back on top of the division. That starts with young players and means you may need to live with a few holes for 1 year or 2.

Sheldon will be 27 when the season starts. We are lacking high level players under 27 on defense. We have Clark and Richardson.

Griffin, McDougal & Reed show flashes.

I hope they keep Sheldon on a one year deal, when he's motivated he's a great player. He was huge in that Rams game in LA and then against Atlanta when we needed the ball back on 3rd down down one score, he simply pushed their guard out of the way to sack Matt Ryan.

https://youtu.be/zukmRxdvOyg?t=4m1s

[(Skip to 4 min)

massari

Reaction score
Dontari Poe and Bennie Logan went for 1 year $8M deals last year and Johnathan Hankins signed a 3 year $27M ($10M guaranteed). That seems to be Richardson's market value.

If it's more, then let him walk, collect the comp pick and go after Muhammad Wilkerson (if need be) once he's released.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Sheldon was heavily responsible for four wins last season. Crucial turnovers in the away-Rams/Eagles/away-Cards games, a sack to help end Houston's penultimate drive. We're not going to get better by letting him walk, and I doubt we make any big FA splashes this year of all years.

Brady Henderson brought up an interesting point that Sheldon was adjusting from a 3-4 to a 4-3 and that it may help explain some of why he fell short of expectations.

I'm one of the "bring him back on a 1-year deal" camp here.

xStickybudz

Reaction score
Would love to have him back, but if he’s looking for a huge payday (which I’m sure he is) it’s not worth it in my opinion

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
vin.couve12":2ay4ygfi said:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000917204/article/sheldon-richardson-likely-wont-get-seahawks-tag

Kinda what everyone figured, 14M is way too much of a one year cap hit (and too much for how well he played).

If we do offer Sheldon a contract, it'll be more in a team friendly 2-3 year range so the cap hit isn't so much the first couple years.

kidhawk

Reaction score
vin.couve12":2v6bs58w said:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000917204/article/sheldon-richardson-likely-wont-get-seahawks-tag

With the tag automatically eating $11 - $14 million, I would be disappointed if we went this route in our current cap situation