Shaun Alexander on Danny Dave and Moore

CPHawk

Reaction score
chris98251":1j4e3axl said:
CPHawk":1j4e3axl said:
chris98251":1j4e3axl said:
McGruff":1j4e3axl said:
Shaun is a bit like Russell. Very obvious and evident and exasperating flaws. But his strengths made those flaws tolerable.

I dont think I could name a back in history with better vision. Maybe Walter, but that would be a push IMO.

Try Curt Warner before the injury or Gale Sayers or Terry Metcalf, or yes Walter Payton, throw in Greg Pruitt, Barry Sanders, Curtis Martin, as well off the top of my head.

I can only imagine what Alrxander would have done vs the front 7 Sayers got to go against. Dl that weight 250 on average, and nowhere near as athletic as the modern beast the nfl has now. The argument for a RB from the 60s or 70s, is flawed. Take any top 10 RB from the last 20 years, and they would make those D look like HS guys.

So the inflated bodies of today at 300 plus pounds to natural weight of bodies, they may not have been as large but tell me a Merlin Olsen, Deacon Jones, Alan Page, Carl Eller, Mean Joe Green were not good football players and many like or close to their talent. You have no idea and obviously did not see them play to make such a outlandish assumption.

So 6 guys out 100 or so who could play nowadays. My point is, the players now are far stronger, bigger and more athletic.

chris98251

Reaction score
CPHawk":1r1s1tmg said:
chris98251":1r1s1tmg said:
CPHawk":1r1s1tmg said:
chris98251":1r1s1tmg said:
Try Curt Warner before the injury or Gale Sayers or Terry Metcalf, or yes Walter Payton, throw in Greg Pruitt, Barry Sanders, Curtis Martin, as well off the top of my head.

I can only imagine what Alrxander would have done vs the front 7 Sayers got to go against. Dl that weight 250 on average, and nowhere near as athletic as the modern beast the nfl has now. The argument for a RB from the 60s or 70s, is flawed. Take any top 10 RB from the last 20 years, and they would make those D look like HS guys.

So the inflated bodies of today at 300 plus pounds to natural weight of bodies, they may not have been as large but tell me a Merlin Olsen, Deacon Jones, Alan Page, Carl Eller, Mean Joe Green were not good football players and many like or close to their talent. You have no idea and obviously did not see them play to make such a outlandish assumption.

So 6 guys out 100 or so who could play nowadays. My point is, the players now are far stronger, bigger and more athletic.

I listed six guys, I could go on and on, I am sure many others her could add more. The rest of the d line for the Vikings, Rams, Steelers, the Lions D line, Dallas had a good d line so did Oakland.

quadsas

Reaction score
Both of the sides are missing the key thing. It's not comparable. Both offences and defences were vastly inferior physically to today's players. In a way, it 'evens' out. And there's probably not a single player from 60s or 70s that could play in the league today in the shape that they were back then. And probably most scrubs from today's age would dominate back then. But that's irrelevant. Gale Sayers dominating is no different than LT or Barry dominating.