Seattle Sounders 2017 season thread

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2awb3if7 said:
Uncle Si":2awb3if7 said:
Sgt. Largent":2awb3if7 said:
I didn't say he was old, and he certainly is not pretty damned fast.

Any width that a combination of Lodeiro and Kiyotake would provide would be cursory... they are attacking midfields. If you run those three together it would be more like Smurf suggested, with the three of them moving in and out of the central channels to pick up passes from the back. your outside backs would have to become very adept at moving up the field to provide possession support in the wide attacking areas. Chelsea/Liverpool do the same thing with their mids and backs.

Certainly the quality is there. But pace is the one thing the MLS has a lot of. those three would have to be very creative and Morris would have to be a very active central striker to release into the diagonal channels left open with those three popping up into central areas.

Just my take. It's the formation I like to teach my players and use at both high school and Academy. I don't use two true DMs either. One 6 to sit and hold while the 8 can run into any channels vacated by the 3 CAMs. I find it easier and less predictable than two 6s who either both sit or both only leave under certain conditions. Again, Liverpool and Chelsea do something similar (and can be seen LIVE on NBCTV this afternoon!)

Well we won't have to debate this much longer, cause I highly doubt Kiyotake's coming here now that all the rumors says he wants to go back to Japan.

Well we won't have to debate this much longer, cause I highly doubt Kiyotake's coming here now that all the rumors says he wants to go back to Japan.

Maybe not with Kiyotake... but I would imagine this is the idea that the Sounders have for their team moving into the next season. If you are going to play Lodeiro and dempsey together in the midfield, you are essentially relying on technical skill and tactical acumen. I imagine they look for a similar player to accompany them.. or look to play a 4-4-1-1 with dempsey underneath Morris as they did with Obo long ago. Then you have need for a true wide player

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2v554bgc said:
Maybe not with Kiyotake... but I would imagine this is the idea that the Sounders have for their team moving into the next season. If you are going to play Lodeiro and dempsey together in the midfield, you are essentially relying on technical skill and tactical acumen. I imagine they look for a similar player to accompany them.. or look to play a 4-4-1-1 with dempsey underneath Morris as they did with Obo long ago. Then you have need for a true wide player

I agree, and I've said all along I'd like a true winger that can play wide and stretch the defense.

People keep talking about Dempsey's replacement, but really we should be discussing Morris's replacement. Because as of now he's the ONLY player we have that scares the defense pace/speed wise, and he probably isn't going to be here much longer.

So unless we want to turn into another lumbering plodding MLS team that relies too heavily on trying to work the ball through the middle narrowly, then we need to find a true winger with pace.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":jqxom2jt said:
Uncle Si":jqxom2jt said:

I agree, and I've said all along I'd like a true winger that can play wide and stretch the defense.

People keep talking about Dempsey's replacement, but really we should be discussing Morris's replacement. Because as of now he's the ONLY player we have that scares the defense pace/speed wise, and he probably isn't going to be here much longer.

So unless we want to turn into another lumbering plodding MLS team that relies too heavily on trying to work the ball through the middle narrowly, then we need to find a true winger with pace.

two fold, right? Morris will certainly be a Sounder until the Summer. and if they are playing with a 3 CAM system he will finally get to play the 9.

If they want to find a true winger to add speed to the width then the tactics probably need to change... and I see that moving Dempsey to the bench, eventually (like by Summer... i just don't think he will be that effective this year)

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1806skdn said:
Uncle Si":1806skdn said:

We should be talking about both. Dempsey is almost 34 and won't be getting remotely the same money in his next contract if we even bother offering him one.

That leaves a DP spot and large salary eventually that will probably go to the forward spot.

Morris will leave eventually but a lot will hinge on this season on how consistent he can stay, health and being less 1 footed. Although he may end up taking dempseys dp spot and a far higher salary for a few years?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":1uhmct3y said:
Just don't see where he would have fitted tbh.

i wrote a pretty long post on it?

Sounders have to figure out what their front 4 will look like in deciding what type of player they bring in next.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":u1wulddb said:

Doesn't matter DP DP DP DP DP!!!

Schmetzer is a lot more pliable formation and tactics wise than Sigi ever was, so I'm sure he could have figured out a way to fit Kiyotake into the formations, as Si wrote about.

I'm actually glad this signing didn't work out. Because now it gives us until the summer transfer window to see if Dempsey is all the way back, or if he's done and we need to go in a different direction.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":tqoo3ikm said:
Glasgow Seahawk":tqoo3ikm said:

i wrote a pretty long post on it?

Sounders have to figure out what their front 4 will look like in deciding what type of player they bring in next.

You did, i just dont think it would have been optimal for guys like Lodeiro.

Definitely agree with Sgt Largent about waiting to see how Dempsey does and making a decision in the summer. We have valdez dp spot free but id rsther wait till either the right player comes or see what our injury situation is like in the summer.

Looking at the roster i would like another rb even just for depth given evans injury history last season. Wouldnt mind another winger as well for depth

knownone

Reaction score
I'm starting to think Will Bruin might be the #9 with Morris dropping back into the midfield. The more I see Bruin the more I feel he could be primed for a 10 goal season and at this point, he might be a better overall player than Flacco. I'm biased, though, I view Morris long term more as an inverted winger than a traditional CF... so for me, it doesn't slow down his development.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
knownone":1jkt19lj said:
I'm starting to think Will Bruin might be the #9 with Morris dropping back into the midfield. The more I see Bruin the more I feel he could be primed for a 10 goal season and at this point, he might be a better overall player than Flacco. I'm biased, though, I view Morris long term more as an inverted winger than a traditional CF... so for me, it doesn't slow down his development.

I have not seen any of Bruin, but I do disagree on Morris. I don't think he has the technical skill to play the inverted winger position to any great effect, not long term (in Europe or USMNT) atleast.

Could slide Morris back out wide. Or, any way they put them both up top and run a diamond Mid? Loderio out wide, Dempsey underneath the strikers, Ozzy holding and (insert other winger).

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":3ow7qemw said:

I agree. I'm glad they didn't waste the open DP on him. Not that he's not a good player, he is. I just think the position he plays is overcrowded as is. Basically I don't believe the Sounders need him. Roldan, Kovar, Alonso, Fernandez, Lodeiro, Dempsey, Shipp, Oduro, Svensson, and Wingo plus if necessary they can always use Evans or Jones in the midfield too...that's a crowded midfield.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2opugexq said:
knownone":2opugexq said:

I have not seen any of Bruin, but I do disagree on Morris. I don't think he has the technical skill to play the inverted winger position to any great effect, not long term (in Europe or USMNT) atleast.

Could slide Morris back out wide. Or, any way they put them both up top and run a diamond Mid? Loderio out wide, Dempsey underneath the strikers, Ozzy holding and (insert other winger).

Other winger being Shipp?

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
knownone":1hhvqe7q said:

Did Bruin not score a lot of the Dynamo? Pretty sure he is also a bit of a hot head and has been sent off a lot, could be wrong.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Portland sign Blanco and the sounders get $75k in allocation money by discovering him.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":49qxqocf said:
Portland sign Blanco and the sounders get $75k in allocation money by discovering him.

I guess it's a small win for the Sounders. Too bad they couldn't get the player though. I'm not sure I'm sold on the allocation system but it does provide a level field for teams. My thought is if a player is discovered by a team, that team should have first crack to sign him. If he spurns their offer, then maybe other teams can sign him. Did Blanco turn down the Sounders or was he just given to the Timbers based on allocation order?

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
For obscure players yes it rewards good scouting. When teams have discovery rights on drogba, rooney, messi etc its a farce.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":21vbc9gb said:
For obscure players yes it rewards good scouting. When teams have discovery rights on drogba, rooney, messi etc its a farce.

Everton got a nice chunk for Rooney. Messi moved to Barca at 12.

Interesting now with the 14 year limit how many small local clubs might benefit from having some superstar player in their club when he was like 12

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2t62l63w said:
Glasgow Seahawk":2t62l63w said:

Everton got a nice chunk for Rooney. Messi moved to Barca at 12.

Interesting now with the 14 year limit how many small local clubs might benefit from having some superstar player in their club when he was like 12

Im just talking about already world class established players. Every mls team owns discovery rights to these guys despite never having discovered them and them being common knowledge. I used 36 year old drogba as an example . Montreal had to pay a chunk of change to chicago for those rites. There should be an age limit or a rule stopping players from the top leagues being included as they rarely have to be scouted and are well known.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawkfan68":z12508x7 said:
Glasgow Seahawk":z12508x7 said:

I guess it's a small win for the Sounders. Too bad they couldn't get the player though. I'm not sure I'm sold on the allocation system but it does provide a level field for teams. My thought is if a player is discovered by a team, that team should have first crack to sign him. If he spurns their offer, then maybe other teams can sign him. Did Blanco turn down the Sounders or was he just given to the Timbers based on allocation order?

Welcome to the MLS, the no transparency league.

I said a page ago that something smelled funny about this whole Blanco situation.

The Sounder's discovered him, began negotiations, rumors were flying and then all of a sudden Portland's in the mix?

Why would Blanco choose Portland over Seattle if the contract offered was equal without the league meddling? This whole thing stinks to me.

You watch, now that Blanco's going to Portland, Nagbe is gone to Celtic. Which will only prove I'm right that the league stepped in and told Portland that if they agreed to sell Nagbe, they'd get them Blanco.