Seattle Sounders 2015 Season Thread

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":5w56qcyv said:
So will Sig be back?
He probably will be, although I don't think he should be. If Seattle hasn't managed to win a title with him by this point they never will.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/HavokHawk/status/663559309138243585[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/whoisjoserivera/status/663558524518043648[/tweet]

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
SeatownJay":26zwuknu said:
KitsapGuy":26zwuknu said:
So will Sig be back?
He probably will be, although I don't think he should be. If Seattle hasn't managed to win a title with him by this point they never will.

Isn't this like the 4th time in a row now?

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
The whole "I'm going to do a dance to make you kick the wrong way" thing didn't seem to work.

At all.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Astonishing drama

Feel for you Sounders fans. That was a stomach punch

hawkfan68

Reaction score
The Sounders were outshot 25-10. Dallas was more aggressive. Some of the substitutions that Sigi made were questionable. Roldan for Valdez? Well at least the away goals rule didn't cost them this match. Ivanschitz and Barrett not converting their PK chances did them in.

Smurf

Reaction score
We deserved to lose that game. Plain and simple.

In the 87th minute Sigi lost his job....and then Marshall saved it for 3 minutes...and its gone again.

I think Sigi is gone. I really do. I don't think Kreis is the answer, but we deserve more than this.

To me the whole season was a managerial disaster. You can blame injuries all you want, but managers are there to work their squad through tough situations like that. It just didn't happen.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Smurf":641ujgze said:
To me the whole season was a managerial disaster. You can blame injuries all you want, but managers are there to work their squad through tough situations like that. It just didn't happen.

I saw some of this last night on Twitter, please educate me.

I mean, we all knew halfway through the summer that this was a VERY veteran squad that while filled with quality, was old, slow and hurt.

So that's what we saw in the playoffs, a much younger faster Dallas team running circles around a bunch of exhausted gimpy old guys. The final straw for me was seeing Dempsey with a one on one chance in front of the goal with time running out, and he decided to draw a foul in the box instead of making a play to win the match. That's it in a nutshell, he was too tired and worn out to even make a move and get off a shot. Sad to me.

I'm OK with moving on from Sigi, but I honestly don't see any issues with how he managed. He kept a veteran group of players who lost like what 7 matches in a row, and no wins for 10 matches during the summer hungry and focused. That's not easy.

IMO Lagerwey better get some youth and speed on this roster next year, or we're going to see the same thing again.

The 2015 Sounders.................too old, too tired & too injured.

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
I'm 50-50 on Sigi for last night. Did anyone notice how fatigued we looked? The team looked disinterested until the last minutes. I do wish Sigi would have motivated the team to play harder, because the team put the game into the hands of the defense on a 2-1 aggregate for 85+ minutes, which will never win you playoff games.

It really frustrates me how great this team is during the regular season, going on winning streaks and racking up the points, but they always falter in the playoffs. Perhaps that's on Sigi, perhaps the season is too long, but the team needs to be better form-wise consistently if they want any future shot at an MLS Cup.

If I had to fire anyone, it would be the strength and conditioning coach. Too many injuries happened this year. You could tell it really took a toll on the team, perhaps they need someone who better understands fitness and can prevent more injuries.

I do believe if we were healthy the entire year the playoffs would look different. If I recall correctly we were leading the Supporters Shield race before Martins's injury and Dempsey's suspension.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smurf":3apy5135 said:
We deserved to lose that game. Plain and simple.

In the 87th minute Sigi lost his job....and then Marshall saved it for 3 minutes...and its gone again.

I think Sigi is gone. I really do. I don't think Kreis is the answer, but we deserve more than this.

agreed...

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
dumbrabbit":2e5w4p0r said:
If I had to fire anyone, it would be the strength and conditioning coach. Too many injuries happened this year. You could tell it really took a toll on the team, perhaps they need someone who better understands fitness and can prevent more injuries..

It's age dude. Old players get hurt.

Zach Scott playing, Red Flag.
Andy Rose playing, Red Flag.
Oniel Fisher playing, Red Flag.
Dempsey moved to left mid because Valdez can't play mid for even 70 minutes anymore, Red Flag.
Chad Freaking Barrett subbing cause our bench is so depleted, Red Flag.
No Ozzie, No Leo, No Torres, 20 minutes Pappa.

THIS is why we lost.

Hell if we're gonna criticize Sigi, it's his crutch of relying on veterans. Where the hell did Neagle disappear to? I'm not a huge Neagle fan, but at least he has pace. Same with guys like Azira and Remick. Embarassing watching old ass players getting torched over and over. Play the young guys.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
i said this many times in my criticisms of Sigi. he built an old roster and played a deliberate style in a league that was obviously turning to speed, youth and the counter to succeed.

for mw it wasnt just the roster but the system. he took a chance that the massive gap in experience and talent would be the difference, and in the end it was not enough...

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":14xi2rwo said:
i said this many times in my criticisms of Sigi. he built an old roster and played a deliberate style in a league that was obviously turning to speed, youth and the counter to succeed.

for mw it wasnt just the roster but the system. he took a chance that the massive gap in experience and talent would be the difference, and in the end it was not enough...

Well let's be fair, Lagerwey and Hanauer built this roster, Sigi just has to manage it.

Now did our GM's acquire players that fit Sigi's style? Probably, so he's not entirely innocent here. But like any coach of GM, he has to work with the players he's given.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
After the play off loss I think the club are at a critical juncture with regards to it's future.

The club face two options:

Stick with Sigi, their coach of roughly 7 years. A coach who has got them to the MLS play off every season, has won numerous open cups and a Supporters shield but who cannot deliver the MLS cup and has been at fault tactically for some of those games (playing Shalrie Joseph up front, trying to bunker in last night rather than get the away goal). 7 years is a long time to coach at one team unless your named Alex Ferguson. Generally managers move on after 4/5 years as things start to get stale and new ideas are needed. In our situation we have an old team and last night they looked old. A rebuild will be needed soon if not this year then next.

OR

go for someone like Kries. Who has won the MLS cup BUT failed at NYCFC and when he did win the MLS cup was at a smaller club with less pressure. He'll probably have us playing 4-5-1, something players and fans have to get used to.

I'm on the fence still. I don't want us becoming the Cincinnati Bengals of MLS and fail when it comes to the crunch every single year but would our fan base be patient and accept not making the play offs under a new coach? Be happy during a rebuild year. Be happy scraping into the play offs like many of Dominic Kinnears teams have done but win it at the end.

I think the squad needs to get younger. I want to see hungry players with a point to prove.

I think there is some tough decisions with the squad coming up.

Gk: Frei is my player of the year. We are set in that position but may need a reasonable back up.

LB: Leo is gone. Remick and Fisher have been okay and are cheap. I wouldn't mind more experience there but I also don't think its a priority.

CB: Hopefully Torres recovers from the ACL. Marshall is fine but I worry about his concussion history. Evans done well after a shaky start (he may have trade value should we need cap space). Scott I think is finished. I think the Sounders should do the right thing and offer him a coaching gig for his loyalty. I think we need another CB here.

RB: To me the jury is out on Mears. He had a strong start to the season but looked shaky towards the end of the season. I wonder if he is unsettled being away from his family. Wouldn't mind some depth here.

Midfield: I think Pineda, Azira, Thomas are gone. I think if we can get something for Pappa we'll trade him. Ozzy is my favorite player but I could see him being traded. If Sigi is gone, I think Neagle and Rose could be in trouble depending on the new coach. We definitely need more help on the wings. Would also like to see someone with composure in the midfield, a play maker. A lot of our midfielders are scrappy. I'm interested in seeing Ivanschitz after a full preseason. He may be older but he does remind me of Beckham in that he isn't blessed with pace but can deliver a good ball. I think we have another season or 2 from him.

Forwards: I think we have to get younger here. Too many injuries and call ups, to much salary tied up here. I think Jordan Morris could be a huge factor in this. If he is the real deal and signs this year then I think we trade one of Oba or Dempsey. Especially with Valdez still being relatively new. Oba did great most of the season but played poor in the play offs. Dempsey was gone a lot and struggled with health. I think Dempsey would have his pick of clubs in MLS but Sounders would be dumb to trade him to a western conference team. Martins could probably get a move to Europe. I think Barrett is gone.

Tough off season ahead.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":12udiuie said:
Uncle Si":12udiuie said:

Well let's be fair, Lagerwey and Hanauer built this roster, Sigi just has to manage it.

Now did our GM's acquire players that fit Sigi's style? Probably, so he's not entirely innocent here. But like any coach of GM, he has to work with the players he's given.

I think you may not be giving Sigi enough credit here...

Alot of experienced coaches build their rosters, or heavily influence them. Sigi strikes me as one of those coaches.

Latest posts