Seattle Sounders 2015 Season Thread

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1w4xfn1a said:
dumbrabbit":1w4xfn1a said:

I needed to read this today after that shit show yesterday.

I had a notion the transfer was on after seeing Evans back in the midfield. Now all that's left is whoever we're trading to DC to be traded. Gotta open up a roster spot.

I'm hoping it's Andy Rose and Michael Azira that get sent on their way.. either by trade or other means.

knownone

Reaction score
Uncle Si":9iqdka7r said:
The point is the trend (and "head and shoulders?") and the Sounders may have missed a chance to address their future when they addressed their present. Dempsey missing time may not be due to age, but his level of play is. He's not the player he once was. He's not even the player Robbie Keane currently is.

That's it, really. A guy like Jordan Morris does both. So does Ibarra (available or not). I think we can put it to bed until the end of the season, after the two internationals have been fully vetted, and determine if it worked.

Sigi's job is officially on the line now, so I think it will need to or a restructure of the organization may be coming along soon.
I'm curious how you rank DPs in the league. I view Robbie Keane as a top 3 player in MLS and Dempsey in that same range. Dempsey has 16 goals 5 assists in 20 games. He may not be as fast as he was with Fulham, but he's still an incredibly dynamic player when he's not the sole focus of a defense.

Should be interesting that's for sure. I personally don't think Sigi's job is ever on the line... the man can seemingly do no wrong around here, it's mind boggling.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
To be fair, I'd rather not rate either a top 3 player. For me, the best MLS player right now is Giovinco. He is having a tremendous year in Toronto, a bit younger than the usual DPs (at 28) and drops into midfield to help start the attack. He's the ideal "DP" player. I also love the season Kamara is having, and he just "looks" the part. True center forward poacher, his presence allows a pretty good attacking team to play all around him, instead of him just standing and waiting and not creating spaces. Then he just swoops in for goals. Both are very dynamic players, in different ways.

Dempsey doesn't strike me as "dynamic" any more. Atleast not on that level. He can certainly take advantage of the less experienced defenders of the MLS. He's still a very useful attacking player. But his movement off the ball, especially in an attacking sense, has diminished and he's not beating players 1v1 with pace any more. If we focus just on league games (because those are the ones that matter) his strike rate is 7 goals, over 13 games in 19 shots (thank you MLS.com). That's pretty good. Add 6 assists to it and its solid. I don't think top 3, but I'd have hoped a player like Bradley or Zusi would fill a spot like that. Maybe its Dempsey's surroundings. (Keane sits at 11 goals over 15 games in 22 shots. Bit better, and he moves off the ball with much more energy). It may be more where Dempsey is choosing to get the ball. I feel like he's having to come down deeper and deeper, and is settling for shuffling the ball along. Bradley does the same thing, but isn't afraid to turn and attack with it. Maybe that changes with the players around him.

I've no issues with Dempsey. Very happy he's in the MLS and with the Seattle. My concern was that I didn't feel Seattle took the right approach in the market to support him. Again, happy to be proven wrong. The league "can" attract top young talent from around the globe (and the states). Martins was that type player when he arrived. I'd love to see more players like him, Giovinco, the two African internationals at Chicago, arrive on the scene... younger, faster, dynamic attacking players, and it doesn't hurt to hand out DP slots to your Academy players (as Sporting did with their young CB, Palmer-Brown, who will probably move on to Europe soon). It helps the league, and it helps develop the sport here in the US. Many of the younger Americans coming through the academies have choices where they will move on to. Pushing a 18 year old dynamic or possession midfield player into the MLS right now doesn't seem the best place for his development. I'd like to see that change. It starts by giving those players targets to play to, and freedom to move.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Both Dempsey and Martins are highly productive............when actually healthy and on the pitch. They've grown as a fantastic one two tandem working very well off each other.

But that's the problem, when healthy and on the pitch.

So I have no issues with either player other than the on the pitch part actually playing, which may be sporadic at best what with their age and Jurgen continuing to lean on Clint for USMNT duty as we head towards another World Cup.

But that's no different than every other MLS club, take 4-5 of any clubs best players off the pitch and they're going to stink as we are stinking right now.

Bottom line for me, if we can get all these new players up to fitness and get Clint, Oba and Ozzie back within the next couple of weeks? I like our chances up against any club in the playoffs.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Poor finisher and gets dispossessed often, sounds like a perfect fit for the MLS!

http://www.sounderatheart.com/2015/8/11 ... ce=twitter

j/k, I'm not as down as some on Valdez. I think he'll add some much needed tactical pace and soccer IQ to the midfield.

Can't be any worse than the Larry, Moe and Curley's we've been running out there the past month.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1otoxzpz said:
Poor finisher and gets dispossessed often, sounds like a perfect fit for the MLS!

j/k, I'm not as down as some on Valdez. I think he'll add some much needed tactical pace and soccer IQ to the midfield.

Can't be any worse than the Larry, Moe and Curley's we've been running out there the past month.

Isnt he a striker (albeit withdrawn)/winger?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3859bt5h said:
Sgt. Largent":3859bt5h said:

I think he's going to take over Pappa's position at right wing, but hard to tell until we see who's healthy and who's not.

Valdez does seem pretty versatile, so he could drop inside if we have to go a more traditional 4-4-2 and Neagle's on the pitch.

Smurf

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1ri8culp said:
Uncle Si":1ri8culp said:
Sgt. Largent":1ri8culp said:

I think he's going to take over Pappa's position at right wing, but hard to tell until we see who's healthy and who's not.

Valdez does seem pretty versatile, so he could drop inside if we have to go a more traditional 4-4-2 and Neagle's on the pitch.

Pappa plays Left Midfield.

My guess is that with Ivanschitz and Valdez we play a more lopsided 442, which will be closer to a 433. With the Torres signing we also have decent personnel to run a 352.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
The Sounders defense has struggled as of late so hopefully Torres provides a shot in the arm.

On another note, it would be nice if the Sounders to use their original kits (throwback) -

Sounders208220Home20Jersey2020Peter20Ward

Smurf

Reaction score
ssfc-retro-kit-big800.jpg

that is actually a kit that a fan designed a few years back. I really like it. Would love to see it.

Smurf

Reaction score
Torres is officially official now. He's at training and everything.

Smurf

Reaction score
Garth, Sigi and co have indicated that all 3 signings could play a factor in Sundays game vs OCSC.

My guess is Valdez starts at striker next to the returning Oba Martins. Dempsey likely out, or on the bench with his injury.

Ivanschetz either starts, or plays the last 30. Depends on his fitness. He'll play left mid.

Torres probably on the bench.

I would encourage people to take a listen to Nos Audietis this week.

http://www.sounderatheart.com/2015/8/12 ... s-audietis

It features an interview with GM Garth Lagerway (prior to the Torres signing). Talks about our signings and the philosophy of the club and its academy system. His segment starts at 26:18.

UncleSi, I really think you should take the time to listen to it because he touches on some things that you have mentioned. He's far more articulate than I could ever pretend to be.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
oh no! Rose is in the starting lineup. I still don't get Sigi's stubbornness when it comes to Rose. He is awful yet gets playing time.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
In some sense the Sounders seem to be snake bitten. They had a good PK chance but Martins' shot got blocked by the Orlando GK. One of the Orlando players just got redcarded and now they are down a player rest of the match. Hopefully the Sounders will capitalize on this.

Latest posts