Seattle-Area Teenager Loses Job After Wearing Broncos Jersey

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Anyone else get super annoyed when someone brings up their military background and over plays it hoping to garner some extra sympathy? Have more pride in what you do than that. You deserve it.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
horns_n_hawks":j142t5mj said:
CurryStopstheRuns":j142t5mj said:
Miile High":j142t5mj said:
jkitsune":j142t5mj said:
Think it's pathetic that the company invited its employees to wear jerseys, then got pissed that he wore his own team's jersey.

And think you all are ridiculously hard on a 17-year-old.

quoted for truth...

you guys are harsh lol

You didn't quote any truth. There was a dress code and he disobeyed it. He was then given the option to change and come back even though he was openly defiant. He wasn't fired, the kid quit.

He's right. It was a teenage kid who did what he wanted to do. He's a fan out of state. The manager disagreed, and tried to strong-arm him into group think or
abstinence. Although you obviously have the written dress code that they provided him with for this even. Enlighten the rest of us how he was disobeying and defiant. Although I expect the classiness of your response based on your username, it really embarrasses me to be associated with fans like you.

Then feel free to disassociate yourself. Read the article if you want to know the details of the dress code. Talk to me about class after you personally attack me? Brilliant. Your credibility is nonexistent.

Hawks46

Reaction score
horns_n_hawks":2fqsb7la said:
CurryStopstheRuns":2fqsb7la said:
Miile High":2fqsb7la said:
jkitsune":2fqsb7la said:
Think it's pathetic that the company invited its employees to wear jerseys, then got pissed that he wore his own team's jersey.

And think you all are ridiculously hard on a 17-year-old.

quoted for truth...

you guys are harsh lol

You didn't quote any truth. There was a dress code and he disobeyed it. He was then given the option to change and come back even though he was openly defiant. He wasn't fired, the kid quit.

He's right. It was a teenage kid who did what he wanted to do. He's a fan out of state. The manager disagreed, and tried to strong-arm him into group think or
abstinence. Although you obviously have the written dress code that they provided him with for this even. Enlighten the rest of us how he was disobeying and defiant. Although I expect the classiness of your response based on your username, it really embarrasses me to be associated with fans like you.

I was in the Marine Corps, I got out around 15 years ago. I find it ironic and interesting that you are saying the kid's dad is in the military and installs work ethic, yet is encouraging his kid to ignore rules and regulations, ignore chain of command, rebellion, and fighting "group think". The kid's dad is obviously either an officer or staff nco.

When I was in the military, discipline and respect for authority was drilled into us. "Group think" was instilled so we'd act as a team; individual thought and reaction was encouraged later. If you ever led troops, or this kid's dad led troops....what happens when one of his men decides he doesn't like a regulation ? You think he'll sit down with the guy and explain Army/Air Force regs to the guy? Hell no, it's called Mutiny in the military.

I had some hope when people were cracking down on the situation in this thread...but coming from the military? No wonder this country is going to hell in a hand basket. (no I'm not attacking the poster, it's a general indictment).

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
For a supposed military man, I would think you'd know more about/respect rules, regulations, and respect for your superiors (military or civilian). BT/AIT really beats those values into you.

When you are on the job, being paid to represent that company, they most certainly have a say in things like dress code. Most companies have dress codes and will give you warnings, in which this kid certainly did, as well as getting the opportunity to change and come back to work.

And yes, I'd be saying the exact same thing if the tables were turned (ie Seattle fan in Dever). I don't care if he's selling snow cones, if you are getting paid to do a job and represent the company in a certain way, you need to follow the guidelines. He wasn't fired for being gay or being a Christian. He was fired for not following company rules.

I will go a step further; if Paul Allen and John Schneider said, "we need to release Richard Sherman (after his interview) because we don't condone his behavior and how he represents the Seahawks organization," they'd have every right to do that. Sure, I think it would be monumentally stupid, but they are paying him to represent their "brand." It's the same reason why the NFL can fine guys for not wearing the right brands, gear.

It's one thing to fire somebody because of who they are, it's entirely different to fire them for what they do. He wasn't fired because he roots for Denver, he was fired for not following company policy (wearing the proper attire, as well as not showing up to work).

horns_n_hawks":118kfdv7 said:
Hawknballs":118kfdv7 said:
You get paid to do a job and follow the rules. The rules were, wear a uniform or a Seahawks jersey. Not wear whatever you want. The worst part of this is the kid went home to change but his dad told him not to go back. Way to instill work ethic. If you don't like the rules, son, just take your toys and go home!

this is a family place and where teenagers hang out, its obvious the business owner didn't want to set up a situation where an employee flaunting a possible enemy jersey would cause a conflict or drive away business.

please.stop.

Wow, you know an awful lot about the situation. Tell me, you know the Dad and the kid? What was the Dad's point he was trying to make that he was instilling?

I personally know the Dad and have met the kid on a few occasions (we were/are in the military together, although I'm no longer stationed there) And the guy establishes great work ethic, I have learned from experience of going on missions with him and deploying with his troops.

Personally, I wasn't going to bring it up because I knew a few of you would act ignorant and insulted by it, but tell me this, if it was a Denver kid wearing a hawks jersey, how many of you would be holding him in esteem and raising money and/or opportunities.

You guys sound like 49er fans. Ignorant and falsely entitled.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
Are the stars aligned all funky lately or what? Are people getting Super Bowl fever? Symptoms include making intercontinental mountain ranges out of molehills.

A teenager didn't want to follow the rules at his crappy job. WHO GIVES A FLYING @#$%^&*????????

For Broncos and Niners fans getting all excited about this, there are many other entertainment options available today that do not require you to make a fool of yourself on the internet.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
Especially when their attitude about some of the most basic, core principals of the military stands for (ie rules, regulations, respecting superiors) is the exact opposite.

Hawknballs":3pyh47x0 said:
Anyone else get super annoyed when someone brings up their military background and over plays it hoping to garner some extra sympathy? Have more pride in what you do than that. You deserve it.

horns_n_hawks

Reaction score
Hawknballs":2mty8x2c said:

Actually, I have great pride in what I do, I brought it up as to why someone in California would have a better grasp on what actually happened than you who lives presumably in the area. It hasn't made the news here, no one cares outside of Seattle and Denver. Richard Sherman is the only thing on TV or the Radio.

As far as the situation, I'd expect anyone on here who heard "wear a jersey" to associate it with any jersey. I got no issues wearing a Seahawks Jersey into my unit when they allowed us to on one day, because no one clarified. You think any company is going to side with a kid who one of their franchisees just fired over the person that writes them checks? I think that's business law 101, especially when you don't want to get sued.

Personally, I think when the Dad wasn't able to get in contact with the owner, the kid should have sucked it up and gone back in his regular uniform, that's what I'd tell me kid to do. But the situation as it was presented, was "You may wear a jersey on Sunday" which was changed when he showed up to "Wear a Seahawks jersey" so they sent him home to change. I get why the manager made that call, but calling to get the owner's opinion on a policy he made seems like common sense to me, if you disagree with the manager's take. If I sent my kid to school in a seahawks jersey and they were sent home (I live in a predominantly Chargers/49ers area) I would be going back with them to get clarity from the principal. As would most of you enthusiastic fans. It's just a shame that you all constantly rip on other fans, especially for the 49ers, then do the same thing.

Oh, and as far as the military, or the marine corp for that matter, a singular mindset in the military is essential to the type of work we do. Working at retail store, or odyssey 1 is incomparable. You should stand up for yourself or your rights when it's a muddy issue, especially a trivial one.

horns_n_hawks

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":3s8lwri4 said:
Then feel free to disassociate yourself. Read the article if you want to know the details of the dress code. Talk to me about class after you personally attack me? Brilliant. Your credibility is nonexistent.

I can't dissociate myself as a seahawks fan, it embarrasses me that people who encounter you will associate us as fellow fans. And I didn't attack you personally at all, all I said was your response was classless, as is your username. It's an apparent, disgusting double entendre, which has little to no applicability with this team.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
horns_n_hawks":36kjhs4v said:
CurryStopstheRuns":36kjhs4v said:

I can't dissociate myself as a seahawks fan, it embarrasses me that people who encounter you will associate us as fellow fans. And I didn't attack you personally at all, all I said was your response was classless, as is your username. It's an apparent, disgusting double entendre, which has little to no applicability with this team.

It's especially not applicable to this team because Aaron Curry didn't stop a damn thing while he was here. Hey O!

horns_n_hawks

Reaction score
Mtjhoyas":e64aiege said:
For a supposed military man, I would think you'd know more about/respect rules, regulations, and respect for your superiors (military or civilian). BT/AIT really beats those values into you.

When you are on the job, being paid to represent that company, they most certainly have a say in things like dress code. Most companies have dress codes and will give you warnings, in which this kid certainly did, as well as getting the opportunity to change and come back to work.

And yes, I'd be saying the exact same thing if the tables were turned (ie Seattle fan in Dever). I don't care if he's selling snow cones, if you are getting paid to do a job and represent the company in a certain way, you need to follow the guidelines. He wasn't fired for being gay or being a Christian. He was fired for not following company rules.

I will go a step further; if Paul Allen and John Schneider said, "we need to release Richard Sherman (after his interview) because we don't condone his behavior and how he represents the Seahawks organization," they'd have every right to do that. Sure, I think it would be monumentally stupid, but they are paying him to represent their "brand." It's the same reason why the NFL can fine guys for not wearing the right brands, gear.

It's one thing to fire somebody because of who they are, it's entirely different to fire them for what they do. He wasn't fired because he roots for Denver, he was fired for not following company policy (wearing the proper attire, as well as not showing up to work).

A supposed member of the military? What's that supposed to mean? And, since you're so enlightened, he got what he saw as conflicting orders from 2 superiors, the owner who told them they could wear jerseys, and the manager who sent him home for wearing the wrong jersey. In a military environment, unity and clarity of vision are linchpins of tactical success. These guys had neither. That's why I'm taking the kids side for wearing his jersey to support his team. That's all.

I agree with you on principle, that the kid should have gone home and changed and gone back to work, as he is an employee of someone else getting paid to represent their company. Unless you own your own business, you need to act in a manner befitting your company. Actually, when he didn't go back to work, I support firing him, although I think it's a rash decision based on a 17 year old kid, but it's a part time job in the mall, would anyone really be upset? In not going back, he made himself culpable, instead of making the manager a bad guy for not allowing him to support his team.

horns_n_hawks

Reaction score
Hawks46":2ebh1j47 said:
I was in the Marine Corps, I got out around 15 years ago. I find it ironic and interesting that you are saying the kid's dad is in the military and installs work ethic, yet is encouraging his kid to ignore rules and regulations, ignore chain of command, rebellion, and fighting "group think". The kid's dad is obviously either an officer or staff nco.

When I was in the military, discipline and respect for authority was drilled into us. "Group think" was instilled so we'd act as a team; individual thought and reaction was encouraged later. If you ever led troops, or this kid's dad led troops....what happens when one of his men decides he doesn't like a regulation ? You think he'll sit down with the guy and explain Army/Air Force regs to the guy? Hell no, it's called Mutiny in the military.

I had some hope when people were cracking down on the situation in this thread...but coming from the military? No wonder this country is going to hell in a hand basket. (no I'm not attacking the poster, it's a general indictment).

I would hope even in the Marine Corp they would differentiate between the failing to meet the uniform of the day and disobeying a direct order from an commanding officer. You also are responsible for not following illegal orders. It involves standing up for what you know to be right.

All of this has VERY LITTLE to NOTHING to a kid being told to change because the manager didn't like his choice of jersey. I would rather move away from it as it's so incomparable, I was simply alluding to the previous poster's insistence on the character of a man he's never met.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
The "supposed" part came across poorly on my part, but this is an anonymous online board, so a level of skepticism is somewhat unavoidable (both sides).

I never claimed to be so enlightened about the situation. My intention was more of a generality, as my mom deals with this type of BS on a regular basis as a retail manager. So, yes, I am somewhat biased because the crap she deals with really parallels what I know of this situation.

I don't doubt there was a level of confusion, but it's pretty easy to simply communicate and understand what the real expectation is. I have multiple tiers of managers where I work. If there is confusion about something, it's pretty easy to get both people on board and ask, "what is the expectation on this issue?" Yes, he's an 18 year old kid, but it just bothers me that the headline is "fired for wearing a Bronco jersey."

I do apologize that this was somewhat directed at you, but it's more of the fact of the matter (as a society in general), that people don't respect rules or managerial direction. It's such a minor situation with a relatively huge headline, so that's where my frustration comes from.

horns_n_hawks":1mc1bymy said:
Mtjhoyas":1mc1bymy said:

A supposed member of the military? What's that supposed to mean? And, since you're so enlightened, he got what he saw as conflicting orders from 2 superiors, the owner who told them they could wear jerseys, and the manager who sent him home for wearing the wrong jersey. In a military environment, unity and clarity of vision are linchpins of tactical success. These guys had neither. That's why I'm taking the kids side for wearing his jersey to support his team. That's all.

I agree with you on principle, that the kid should have gone home and changed and gone back to work, as he is an employee of someone else getting paid to represent their company. Unless you own your own business, you need to act in a manner befitting your company. Actually, when he didn't go back to work, I support firing him, although I think it's a rash decision based on a 17 year old kid, but it's a part time job in the mall, would anyone really be upset? In not going back, he made himself culpable, instead of making the manager a bad guy for not allowing him to support his team.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
It's a place of business that relies on the public and the community to prosper. The owner has every right to decide how his employees present themselves to that public so long as he's not violating any other laws of decency or ethics.

End story.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
This is a tempest in a teapot. So the kid was let go b/c he was oppositionally defiant and unwilling to comply with company rules or wished to do something his employer informed him was unacceptable. The kid was given a choice of an acceptable behaviour company uniform and no jersey or a Seahawks jersey but chose to take the route that drew attention to himself instead of following the rules his employer had made. This story is one about a young person challenging authority w/o assessing rationally the consequences of his behaviour which was negative to his his employer and unacceptable. He was dismissed for cause.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
ESPN":3sfaoxt6 said:
He indicated to KUSA that he wasn't too concerned about losing his job -- at least he won't have to work when Peyton Manning and the Broncos take on Richard Sherman and the Seahawks.

The kid didn't even care about his job. He wants to be able to watch the Super Bowl.

This. Is. Stupid.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
horns_n_hawks":2ataeowe said:
Actually, I have great pride in what I do

Obviously. Probably too much. You're embarrassing yourself.

horns_n_hawks

Reaction score
Mtjhoyas":1ykgy25h said:
The "supposed" part came across poorly on my part, but this is an anonymous online board, so a level of skepticism is somewhat unavoidable (both sides).

I never claimed to be so enlightened about the situation. My intention was more of a generality, as my mom deals with this type of BS on a regular basis as a retail manager. So, yes, I am somewhat biased because the crap she deals with really parallels what I know of this situation.

I don't doubt there was a level of confusion, but it's pretty easy to simply communicate and understand what the real expectation is. I have multiple tiers of managers where I work. If there is confusion about something, it's pretty easy to get both people on board and ask, "what is the expectation on this issue?" Yes, he's an 18 year old kid, but it just bothers me that the headline is "fired for wearing a Bronco jersey."

I do apologize that this was somewhat directed at you, but it's more of the fact of the matter (as a society in general), that people don't respect rules or managerial direction. It's such a minor situation with a relatively huge headline, so that's where my frustration comes from.

Oh I completely agree that retail is full of a large variety of workers. Unfortunately, it seems that too often they're not honest, hardworking people. (Before I got any further, I should clarify that MOST retail employees I've dealt with are adequate or better, but in my opinion, too many aren't) However, at the wage scale and situations at most retail establishments, you're going to get that.

I think the dad did the right thing in trying to clear things with the owner who instituted this policy, but I disagree with the kid deciding to stay home when it wasn't resolved. Had he manned up and done what the manager told him to do when it wasn't going to get resolved, he could have complained to the owner about it later and likely kept his job. But then we'd have one less thing to debate this week, haha.

Anyways, it sounds like we're coming from opposite sides of the story, but have the same outlook. I think if you polled most of the people in here, we'd all probably respond to the situation in a similar manner. But this, my friend, is the internet.

Oh, and I agree, I could claim to be anyone, but I didn't see how being military gave me any traction in the story, I was trying to explain my association to the story and try and remind people that a couple news articles don't cover much of the story, especially about the father. See Also, Richard Sherman.

Latest posts