Seahawks wanted Jordyn Brooks or Darrell Taylor got both

ivotuk

Reaction score
O’Neil: Seahawks wanted to draft Jordyn Brooks or Darrell Taylor — here’s how they got both

Here’s how it all happened:

Start with the top linebackers available in this draft: Isaiah Simmons of Clemson went ninth to Arizona. Then K’Lavon Chaisson was picked by the Jaguars at No. 20, but he’s more of an edge rusher than a true linebacker. Then came a specific trio that Seattle had its eye on: Oklahoma’s Kenneth Murray, LSU’s Patrick Queen and Brooks out of Texas Tech.

“We had a pretty strong feeling that the three linebackers might be of the position that may fall,” Seahawks GM John Schneider said.

Jordyn was the guy that fit us the best,” Schneider said, “and we had the most buy-in for everybody.”

Here’s where it gets interesting, though.

“We knew that if we drafted one of the linebackers,” Schneider said, “we were going to have to work our tail off to try and get back up in the second. And I’ve got to be honest with you, I didn’t feel very good about being able to get back up to acquire Darrell.”

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/840176/o ... wks-draft/

Jville

Reaction score
Great draft story.

It's fortunate for all of us this year's draft execution all worked out and they were able to also get Taylor. Spares us the agony from second guessers hollowing on and on about John Schneider getting too cute. LOL Sometimes the best news goes unmentioned ....... although occasionally it is noted.

wsumatt82

Reaction score
Interesting to see that they did like queen but wasn’t as good of a fit. For all the people giving the draft of brooks an F with queen still there. It will be hard to compare the two as fit plays a factor as well. I supported the brooks fit and the more I see I love it more and more

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Queen is undersized for a LB. gonna have to see a ton of nastiness to over come being too slight playing NFL ball.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Please explain why you think he's undersized. They said the same thing about Wagner. FF to now and everyone knows that Wagner can stop a RB cold to save 1st downs and touchdowns at 240 pounds at 6ft for great leverage with long arms to boot. Meanwhile claiming that a guy like Keuchly had good size even though he was in the 230s spread out over a 6'2 frame with short arms, who was never going to hold up for long with that frame playing in the middle, and getting run over for touchdowns in Superbowls.

It was the same when we drafted Barton last year, claiming he had good size. I don't understand this mindset at all. Particularly in a game of physics/leverage.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Well, they wanted other players, but he was the highest on their board when it was their turn to draft.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Not why they drafted Barton. The scrambled eggs is in reference to why someone at 6' 240 with long arms would be undersized, but someone at 6'2 237 with short arms has good size for roughly the same position. It doesn't make any sense from a football or leverage aspect at all. Zero.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Don't even get me started on Queen. You want a 229 pound backer with 31.6 inch arms dealing with NFL OL or even a FB? Really?

Edit: Well, you already have BBK who actually lead all college ball in tackles. Don't understand the need there other than believing somebody like Mel frickin Kiper.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Chukarhawk":rvnqeu01 said:
Queen is undersized for a LB. gonna have to see a ton of nastiness to over come being too slight playing NFL ball.
Sorry, I could have swore you were talking about Brooks. Queen is a no.

gmor

Reaction score
vin.couve12":3enwige0 said:
Chukarhawk":3enwige0 said:
In retrospect, I'm happy with Brooks being selected. He kicked but over several years and didn't have just one good year.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
Seahawks would have had good intel on Queen as well with the LSU connection. I hope Brooks is a quick study we’re going to need him to produce right away.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
gmor":2bdmi1qy said:
vin.couve12":2bdmi1qy said:
Chukarhawk":2bdmi1qy said:
In retrospect, I'm happy with Brooks being selected. He kicked but over several years and didn't have just one good year.

In retrospect we NOW know KJ is fresh off shoulder surgery. That is info none of us had pre-draft and goes far to make this positional pick prioritization look that much better. As for BPA, Bobblehead nailed it.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Queen over Brooks.

Sounds eerily like the old Kendricks over Wagner and even the Mays over Thomas.

Latest posts