Seahawks Visit White House May 21

gowazzu02

Reaction score
My lord there are some ignorant folks in this thread. I dont care if you vote red or blue. Your football team won the superbowl put your agenda to the side and just enjoy the moment. My goodness some people. I honestly feel bad for you.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
edogg23":3bs3rz20 said:
I get that Lynch may have had a legit excuse. But for those who are saying its fine even if he just didn't want to go, let me ask this. What if half the players on the team decided they didn't want to go? The Seahawks would look horrible and this special event would no longer be special.

Look horrible? Maybe to some people. There are plenty of NFL fans out there who already think they look horrible, no matter whether they attended this event or not.

The event would still be special to those who went, and the fact that the Seahawks finally have a Lombardi wouldn't be lessened one iota because of the percentage of attendance at a ceremony.

If only a handful of Seahawks had turned up, I'd still have enjoyed watching it, and I'd respect the desires of the rest of them to not go. As was noted before, if it was some political grandstanding move, that's one thing. But that's not the case here.

McGruff

Reaction score
Rocket":1h2vycr1 said:
There's NO WAY that Lynch stayed away because of politics.
Think it thru... ain't possible. No way.

I agree. I think Lynch probably stayed away because there wasn't a field, a ball and someone to hit. That's pretty much all Lynch cares about. Anything outside the lines is 'so what' to him . . . including the President. He not only doesn't care about the pomp and circumstance, he probably despises it.

McGruff

Reaction score
HawkWow":fwp59p3h said:
irocdave":fwp59p3h said:
All politics aside, if you get the chance to be a guest at the Whitehouse via an invitation by the residing President of the United States of America you make every attempt to make it. Doesn't matter if you like the guy or not or believe in hios policies. He is the most powerful person in the world and is the face of OUR nation. I hope Lynch had a great reason for not showing up.

I don't agree with this at all. I would feel cheap and not true to my values, prostituting myself, if I went and got chummy with someone I actually despised. The fact that person is the "most powerful man in the world" would only make it worse. To make clear, I do not hate this president. But some do. I am just offering an example.

I am reminded of an accident I had not that long ago. An atheist my entire life, I was told I should "start praying to God" by a staff person at the hospital. I simply replied: I never prayed before, I would be a hypocrite if I started praying now and I would rather die than be unable to look myself in the mirror.

You can't have it both ways. You can't not believe in God, or your president, then change your beliefs only when beneficial to yourself. IMO.

But can't you respect someone you disagree with enough to acknowledge their position even if you disagree with their politics?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
HawkWow":2u7rpzt7 said:
I don't agree with this at all. I would feel cheap and not true to my values, prostituting myself, if I went and got chummy with someone I actually despised. The fact that person is the "most powerful man in the world" would only make it worse. To make clear, I do not hate this president. But some do. I am just offering an example.

I am reminded of an accident I had not that long ago. An atheist my entire life, I was told I should "start praying to God" by a staff person at the hospital. I simply replied: I never prayed before, I would be a hypocrite if I started praying now and I would rather die than be unable to look myself in the mirror.

You can't have it both ways. You can't not believe in God, or your president, then change your beliefs only when beneficial to yourself. IMO.

I don't agree with many of our past presidents, I won't name them because I don't want this to turn any more political than it already has. But I wouldn't hesitate to visit the White House for something as cool as winning the SB.

This is not a political trip, it's a fun light-hearted acknowledgement of a great accomplishment, and Obama did a fantastic job of doing just that yesterday. I feel sad for anybody that can't look past their own political views to enjoy spending the day with your teammates, coaches and owner at the White House.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
TwilightError":2mydx3l4 said:
Here is a picture of the exact moment when Barack passed the torch to Pete, who is stepping on the podium to give his first speech as the President of the United States. Behind you can see the newly voted senate.

tempAP191803560894_13--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg

Or... Wait a minute, is that Bill Clinton?

Boy he does look awfully presidential doesn't he?

gargantual

Reaction score
How narcissistic is it to chime in on how YOU wouldn't go because of blah blah blah.

This isn't about you or any one of us. This is about recognizing the world champs. It's their day. That we got to vicariously experience it through them is just icing on the cake.

Thanks for letting us finally experience this guys!

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I don't see why anyone has to go to the WH if they don't want to for whatever reason..It's supposed to be a free country

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
I'm glad Marshawn didn't go and I'm glad everybody who was there did. Fantastic moment.

chris98251

Reaction score
Marshawn has been true to Marshawn, his reasons are not for us to judge and he and his team mates I am sure have there understandings. Who are we to step on a guys balls because of this.

The fact that he was recognised and held in high regard for his accomplishments speaks for itself, The President stateing he needs media lessons also leans towards respecting his decision as well as maybe wishing he could do the same thing at times.

He didn't go out of his way to make it a political statement or a like or dislike situation, everyone else is.

drdiags

Reaction score
Anyone have a link to the interviews Pete, Doug and Michael Bennett did on the White House steps? Haven't seen anything yet so was wondering if anyone has ran across this.

Passepartout

Reaction score
Well respect Marshawn if he does not want to talk to the media. As respect that. He is indeed press shy! Plus he was honoring and respecting a friend he lost.

seabowl

Reaction score
Now I didn't watch the entire ceremony but from the parts I did see not once did Tate crack even a smile. Must he awkward being on another team and getting together for an event with you former team especially when he talked some smack after signing with the Lions.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
I don't know the details why Marshawn didn't go. If it was because he had something else important (family emergency, wedding, funeral, life event) that's understandable. If he didn't go just to avoid media. I just feel like this is one of those cases where he should bite the bullet and go. The president invites the super bowl winning team to his house, if you're on the team you go, if you own/manage the team, you require everyone to show up. It's kind of disrespectful IMHO. He's bout that action, I got that, but I just feel like this is one of those cases where you bite the bullet and show up. We all have to do things we don't really like for our job.

At my job, I do my work and I just like doing my work. If big chief director guy calls a meeting to congratulate my team for its achievements, despite how much I'd rather just be working. I show up respectfully and well dressed. Not showing up and/or dressing like a clown is a bad representation of myself and my team. Thats my feeling on that. I still love beast mode, just didn't agree with his decision not to go unless it was for the reasons mentioned above.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
seabowl":p62uggfx said:
Now I didn't watch the entire ceremony but from the parts I did see not once did Tate crack even a smile. Must he awkward being on another team and getting together for an event with you former team especially when he talked some smack after signing with the Lions.

Browner posted a tweet being unhappy that he was not mentioned in the LOB by Obama (i'm sure his notes were written by some white house speech researcher who quickly just looked at the SB winning team). Anyway he tweeted something about him finding another way back to get his name said and #Gopats or whatever. I guess he's moved on. Maybe I as a fan should move on too.

drdiags

Reaction score
Lynch is not the first nor the last player to skip the White House ceremony. Dudes need to take the stick out of their butts. Freedom of choice and all that good stuff, right? I know this is a fan forum and making judgmental statements is part of the deal but not sure how him deciding to miss the ceremony is more than a footnote.

Is kind of weird to have players who got cut by the team show up for this and the ring ceremony as well. Would be cool to hang out with old buds but it is trying to honor the past while having to move on with the present.

Didn't realize Avril was on his honeymoon. Maybe that is a valid reason for not hanging out for a photo op?