DrDix

Reaction score
VinceDee":1t5txy4k said:
[youtube]DgDwIbir8j0[/youtube]

Slow, plodding
Doesn't high-point or attack the ball
Not explosive, no escape moves
Goes down on first contact

Not a lot of film on him that I've seen, but what I've seen I'm not impressed with.

You know what time of year it is when we have a 4 page thread about camp fodder.

Yeah, see the guy in your avatar? This team wouldn't have them if they were like you, and so many posters here. Too slow. Blah blah blah. Even after going through it with Russ, people find stigmas to try and say player X won't work.

Seahawks fans of all.

Unbelievable.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
VinceDee":2atn01f2 said:

Slow, plodding

Not a lot of film on him that I've seen, but what I've seen I'm not impressed with.

You know what time of year it is when we have a 4 page thread about camp fodder.

Maybe he is a so called "camp fodder"... but PC has a way of turning camp fodders into valuable/servicable players.

See Malcolm Smith, Breno G, JR Sweezy, Ricardo Lockette, Kellen Davis, Brandon Browner, and Doug Baldwin.

PC had more hits with "camp fodders" than he has misses. Calling any player camp fodder is insulting. It's same as calling RW a "game manager".
How would one like it if they were called a "keyboard jockey"? Basically that's what folks are on here, me included. Some are better at it than others though (admittedly not me) :)

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Throwdown":31rvgni1 said:
Usually I'd write a guy off like this, but then Brandon Browner happened...

Then there was that Foley guy who's CAN's neighbor, so it could just be a camp body. I dunno I like the idea of a 6'5 WR so I'm rooting for the guy.

Kinda agree with you. I think they are filling up the 30-40 spots available to test the waters before and during the draft. Remember T.O. He was here for a tiny bit of time until they figured he did not fit in the locker room much less the field. And then he took a full TimeOut. :mrgreen:

:thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers:

VinceDee

Reaction score
Insults and condescension...always the foundation of a sound discussion.

I said I was not impressed...and I'm not. Pete and John have also earned my trust, for the most part. But guess what? They aren't 100% by a long shot. Carpenter is mostly a bust, especially for a first rounder. You could expect his kind of performance for a mid-round pick. Irvin, who I root for, is just a middle to lower end linebacker. He was supposed to be an explosive Leo and that apparently hasn't worked out. I'm not saying bust, but not really a first round presence on the defense. The good news is that this front office has had some spectacular hits, which mostly compensates for the misses.

As far as us fans assessing players: We're fans, we can have opinions, and state those opinions and it means NOTHING, so it seems pointless to attempt to put me down for stating my opinion, other than creating tension in the community. I seriously doubt that you're paid to be a NFL talent evaluator, so what does your opinion mean over mine? Nothing.

I have been impressed with Wilson from the get go...I could tell that he had something special. I could tell Golden Tate has something special. Hell, I even saw what Stephen Williams brought to the dance. I wish they hadn't lost him the way they did. I could even see what it is about Bruce Irvin that the front office likes, so it's not like I'm just talking out of my ass. I'm making an effort to see what there is that these guys have that I could look forward to. I just don't see it with Mathews (and as I already stated, I've only seen so much film, so maybe I'm missing something). There are guys the front office want to see who may have it going on and there are guys who don't. When camp starts, we'll see who has it.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Clearly going to be camp fodder.. but also shows they're interested in addressing the WR position, which excites me considering the level of talent at that position in this years draft.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
If Pete doesn't see anything from this guy ..He will be dropped just like many others have been...It's good they are trying high and low to find a decent tall WR

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":12qs6b7l said:
Clearly going to be camp fodder...

Anyone else remember that the same was thought of Jermaine Kearse during his Training Camp? I'm just saying that we ought to be "open minded" regarding the potential of each player that reports. I love surprises! :D

YYZHawksFan

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":3hzpc0db said:
Hasselbeck":3hzpc0db said:
Clearly going to be camp fodder...

Anyone else remember that the same was thought of Jermaine Kearse during his Training Camp? I'm just saying that we ought to be "open minded" regarding the potential of each player that reports. I love surprises! :D
I call it a discovery.

theascension

Reaction score
Even he's slow and limited he could come in for heavy TE blocking sets and possibly short touchdowns (because of his height). I'm going to err on the side that this could be a very good acquisition.

Mr.Hawkbrah

Reaction score
for how "slow" people bag on him being youd think our team is built around a bunch of burners. 40 times aside who does anything with their speed on our wr core besides percy? I would never guess DB ran as fast as he did based on what his game is like, tate hardly ever blows by anyone either, kearse plays decently fast but he still has a lot to prove, lockette is only good for special teams. our guys are good at football, but they dont play fast imo. matthews is built perfect for moving the chains, all we really need from our wrs anyways based on what we ask them to do currently.

theascension

Reaction score
Zach Miller is PAINFULLY slow. Remember that 60 yard catch he caught this year? He couldn't get into the endzone that was only 10 yards away. But that's fine he has been a great blocking TE and made some great catches when needed. Percy is probably enough speed for the whole offense if we can keep him healthy.

drrew

Reaction score
VinceDee":39x0sovx said:
Insults and condescension...always the foundation of a sound discussion.

I said I was not impressed...and I'm not.

It's all fine and good to not be impressed with his three year old college highlights, but you specifically mentioned that he doesn't 'high point' the football. if you watch those college highlights, or the highlights posted earlier of his CFL season, that's just factually not true and makes it appear as if you're simply making things up.

The one positive about him is he plays every bit of his 6'5 230lb frame.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
I'm gonna go out on a limb and predict Matthews makes the team. And catches 30 +. Based purely on hunch and PC & JS record.

Jville

Reaction score
Apparently, they paid WR Chris Matthews a $ 10,000 signing bonus.

Link >>> [urltargetblank]https://twitter.com/brian_mcintyre/status/436246347709444096[/urltargetblank]

Over the Cap details link >>>> [urltargetblank]http://www.overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Chris%20Matthews&Position=WR&Team=Seahawks[/urltargetblank]

ivotuk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1avtgbtj said:
VinceDee":1avtgbtj said:

Slow, plodding

Maybe he is a so called "camp fodder"... but PC has a way of turning camp fodders into valuable/servicable players.

See Malcolm Smith, Breno G, JR Sweezy, Ricardo Lockette, Kellen Davis, Brandon Browner, and Doug Baldwin.

PC had more hits with "camp fodders" than he has misses. Calling any player camp fodder is insulting. It's same as calling RW a "game manager".
How would one like it if they were called a "keyboard jockey"? Basically that's what folks are on here, me included. Some are better at it than others though (admittedly not me) :)

That's not true. This team goes through hundreds of players in the rotation looking for that one single gem. But most of them are misses. And there have been several really bad signings, especially on 4th round receivers. Legree sucked pretty bad too. I don't see how calling them camp fodder is insulting, that's all most of them are.

We also signed the CFL defensive player (Ricky Foley) of the year one time, and he was basically 'camp fodder.' A wide receiver from Kansas who couldn't make the Browns roster isn't something to get overly excited about, it does make for great discussion and everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Not talking specifically about your post, but I've always found that "opinions of opinions" come off as a poster acting superior and they usually lack substance. They all sound something like "You're opinion is uninformed! Pete and John are infallible!"

truehawksfan

Reaction score
Who knows. He may pan out, but the odds are against him.

I read somewhere that 6-4/6-5 WRs are difficult to find. There's just a very small group - Calvin Johnson, Vincent Jackson, Brandon Marshall - who are 6-4/6-5 types that pan out.

BMW just lasted a year. Stephen Williams was a great preseason player, but we cut him because he has zero value as a special teams player and disappeared in the 2-3 games he was on the active roster when the games were real.

Again, you don't know, but the odds are against him.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Jville":oyf7geti said:
Apparently, they paid WR Chris Matthews a $ 10,000 signing bonus.

Link >>> [urltargetblank]https://twitter.com/brian_mcintyre/status/436246347709444096[/urltargetblank]

Over the Cap details link >>>> [urltargetblank]http://www.overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Chris%20Matthews&Position=WR&Team=Seahawks[/urltargetblank]

That just means Paul Allen needs new pants. He's got a damn hole in his pocket.

Mr.Hawkbrah

Reaction score
truehawksfan":1g2o4x7s said:
Who knows. He may pan out, but the odds are against him.

I read somewhere that 6-4/6-5 WRs are difficult to find. There's just a very small group - Calvin Johnson, Vincent Jackson, Brandon Marshall - who are 6-4/6-5 types that pan out.

BMW just lasted a year. Stephen Williams was a great preseason player, but we cut him because he has zero value as a special teams player and disappeared in the 2-3 games he was on the active roster when the games were real.

Again, you don't know, but the odds are against him.

On the premise of being less 6 5 people in the world you are right, and I agree the odds are stacked against him. But I think I know what article you're talking about and it was extremely flawed, completely lacks perspective and totally leaves out all the hundreds of shorter busts that have came out. Bigger athletic guys are also the ones who typically dominate the game, of course they don't grow on trees, that writer probably loved the Holmgren era. Bmw was legit during his time here, if he was healthy and motivated he would of stayed a lot longer, idk why people reference him like he totally sucked.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Well, these guys know 50 times more than any of us about football, so I'll let them do their thing. The fact that they just won a Superbowl, doing it THEIR way, and not the way the fans want, shows they might just know a few things 8)

Latest posts