Seahawks sign CFL rookie of the year WR Matthews

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":l72tc6i9 said:
Chris Matthews? I love his stuff on Hardball, but kinda a wind bag.
Not a fan of the political propagandist, but maybe we found another diamond in the rough with this CFL guy. :)

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":25fztez0 said:
Chris Matthews? I love his stuff on Hardball, but kinda a wind bag.
Not a fan of the political propagandist, but maybe we found another diamond in the rough with this CFL guy. :)

Laloosh

Reaction score
Guys like that don't have to run a 4.3 inside the red zone to catch a fade/jump ball. I like it.

TXHawkFan

Reaction score
I looked at some of Chris Matthews' tapes and he does go to his left well but doesn't go right at all and seems like a bit of a lush. I do like his size (6'3") but not crazy about his age (68) or his 40 time (about 30 seconds if someone is buying at the bar, 5 minutes otherwise.)

Not sure I like this signing, especially with Bill O'Reilly still available.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
Sure hope he's got some special teams value, otherwise he's got no shot of making this team.

Decimation

Reaction score
TXHawkFan":17rmnrkr said:
I looked at some of Chris Matthews' tapes and he does go to his left well but doesn't go right at all and seems like a bit of a lush. I do like his size (6'3") but not crazy about his age (68) or his 40 time (about 30 seconds if someone is buying at the bar, 5 minutes otherwise.)

Not sure I like this signing, especially with Bill O'Reilly still available.
Lol.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Not convinced by this one but no stone left unturned and all that.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Seems a little too stiff and tentative to be a special teams contributor, so that might DQ him off the bat. Still, it'll be good to have big body with some talent to compare against other big WRs brought into camp. Probably worth the camp spot for the larger evaluation aspect alone. If he shines, he shines though. You never know.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
Remember that That Pete/John love to churn the roster. He seems like the "chip on shoulder" type they like. I think they are not planning on anything more than lets see what he can do in camp. If not make the roster then push other around him to be better. As someone else stated at least they are looking for a large receiver type. This probably does not bode well for Sydney Rice. I like Syd but to expensive. Oh well. Now if they can beef up the O-line...

Tokadub

Reaction score
I like it, have a good feeling about him especially since he will be so cheap if he does make the team.

Considering the CFL nutritionists and trainers are probably like a sleezy stoner college compared to the top end Seahawks Staff I think we can expect him to get at least slightly better physically, probably bulk up a tad.

You can see why he isn't already in the NFL though, a bit awkward with his moves. Not much potential for YAC unless the defender really screws the pooch.

BUT, he's 6'5'' and it does look like he has great hands and knows how to get position on the defender. We don't need a guy who can take it to the house every catch, we already have Harvin, Baldwin, Kearse, hopefully Tate. This guy looks like a great first down guy. Throw him out there on 3rd and long type of deal, seems like a high percentage target.

I really like this pick up, if we need a tall receiver with good hands this guy seems legit. I hope we save that draft pick for a receiver to pick up some offensive line. This guy looks like the Rice replacement, and adds a bit of a backup in case Harvin gets injured again.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
A few nights ago I watched the "Football Life; Jerry Rice" on NFL network and they said he ran a 4.71 at his pro day. On the football field he blew past every defender. For some guys there is a difference between track speed and football speed. At 6'5" it will be more important for this guy to run good routes.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Tokadub":as9sizw8 said:
Considering the CFL nutritionists and trainers are probably like a sleezy stoner college compared to the top end Seahawks Staff .

As a Canadian I take offense to this stereotype. I am sure the Winnipeg trainers insured he was eating a proper balance of poutine, back bacon and maple syrup.

nepahawk

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":u9tjr5jd said:
After watching some highlights I get the impression that he's the Shawn Alexander of big wide receivers. Easily arm tackled, soft. Nowhere near as physical as a guy with his natural talents should be.

I got the same impression after watching the highlights.

But, I just saw footage on NFL Network, he looked a lot more physical in the clips they showed.

We'll just have to wait and see.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
If he's not physical at the beginning of training camp, he'll be damn sturdy if he makes it to the end.

The front office doesn't sign him if they don't think he's got a chance to compete - so they might not be as worried about his physicality as we are.

Or he gets cut by March.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Usually I'd write a guy off like this, but then Brandon Browner happened...

Then there was that Foley guy who's CAN's neighbor, so it could just be a camp body. I dunno I like the idea of a 6'5 WR so I'm rooting for the guy.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
HawkRiderFan":2b4jo9mz said:
Tokadub":2b4jo9mz said:
Considering the CFL nutritionists and trainers are probably like a sleezy stoner college compared to the top end Seahawks Staff .

As a Canadian I take offense to this stereotype. I am sure the Winnipeg trainers insured he was eating a proper balance of poutine, back bacon and maple syrup.
Haha this made me spit out my coffee

canfan

Reaction score
I'm a long suffering Bomber fan (they have been horrible for about 5 years now!). Matthews is no speed burner, but he does run good routes and has decent hands. I would not expect him to be a special teams contributor and my real big concern with him would be if he is physical enough to get off of press coverage. This will be a part of his game that he won't have had much chance to work on in the CFL, as all the receivers are already in motion at the snap, so the corners tend to play off the line more. I see him as a slower version of Stephen Williams, who impressed so many in pre season last year. I would be surprised if he made the final cut.

VinceDee

Reaction score
[youtube]DgDwIbir8j0[/youtube]

Slow, plodding
Doesn't high-point or attack the ball
Not explosive, no escape moves
Goes down on first contact

Not a lot of film on him that I've seen, but what I've seen I'm not impressed with.

You know what time of year it is when we have a 4 page thread about camp fodder.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I doubt he is being brought here to be a deep threat. I also don't agree that he isn't able to high point the ball not sure were you are getting that from. He would be a possession receiver slash end zone threat(that we so desperately need). The accurate comp thats already been made is MIke Williams who was very effective his first year here and I imagine Russel wold know how to use him.
To me its Pete and John seeing value and always preparing and building this team in case we don't have a shot at the receiver this front office likes in the draft. Smart move that has no downside.

Latest posts