Seahawks sign Baylor basketball player Mark Vital to PS.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Vital, listed on the school's website as 6-foot-5 and 250 pounds, was a starting forward for the Bears, who won the national title in April. He was not selected in this year's NBA draft and played for the Portland Trail Blazers in the NBA summer league before announcing earlier this week that he was pursuing a career in the NFL.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/MarkVitalJr/status/1432816656355676168[/tweet]

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...-standout-mark-vital-practice-squad-tight-end

You never know. Antonio Gates turned out to be an all-time great.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
It’s a practice squad signing so no real downside at all. Why not give him a better shot?

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":30hxwuv5 said:
It’s a practice squad signing so no real downside at all. Why not give him a better shot?

Considering he was playing summer basketball for Portland recently & just announced he was gonna try his hand at football the other day I'm not sure how much of a "better shot" they, or anybody else, could've given him.

I suppose they could have named him to the 53 man roster & named him a starter but Pete probably wanted to see him in at least 1 practice first.

Jville

Reaction score
I wonder if Russell Wilson advocated this signing ..............

[tweet]https://twitter.com/jtheaps9/status/1433550412846538752[/tweet]

sutz

Reaction score
Did he play football in college at all?

I know there have been quite a few TE types who came out of basketball. Some did quite well. There are some basketball skills like 'boxing out' that can be real assets. Not to mention the practice on quick moves in traffic that can help especially a TE get around in and out of the tackle box.

OP
OP
Maulbert

Maulbert

Reaction score
sutz":28v68b4q said:

I know there have been quite a few TE types who came out of basketball. Some did quite well. There are some basketball skills like 'boxing out' that can be real assets. Not to mention the practice on quick moves in traffic that can help especially a TE get around in and out of the tackle box.

You could, I dunno, read the article I linked.

:sarcasm_on: Yeah, crazy. :sarcasm_off:

sutz

Reaction score
Maulbert":pvuye6tk said:
sutz":pvuye6tk said:

My bad. :oops: Yeah, no football since middle school, but the other comments apply. There are some BB skills that are useful for TE, or any receivers.

toffee

Reaction score
sutz":2wkorc4w said:
Maulbert":2wkorc4w said:
sutz":2wkorc4w said:

My bad. :oops: Yeah, no football since middle school, but the other comments apply. There are some BB skills that are useful for TE, or any receivers.

One suspects his ability to block, and to understand playbooks?

chris98251

Reaction score
toffee":v6dugelz said:
sutz":v6dugelz said:
Maulbert":v6dugelz said:
sutz":v6dugelz said:

Let him get a few weeks of NFL training, I am going to bet it is more grueling then Basketball Training.

If he can deal with that and the mental aspect we will see about playbooks and blocking.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
As long as he's not replacing Duane Brown.....

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":25j85ytf said:

Yeah I did not phrase that well. I was trying to say that we are giving him a better shot by signing him to the practice squad than if he was just invited to training camp.

toffee

Reaction score
chris98251":2z5j0fkj said:
toffee":2z5j0fkj said:
sutz":2z5j0fkj said:
Maulbert":2z5j0fkj said:

Let him get a few weeks of NFL training, I am going to bet it is more grueling then Basketball Training.

If he can deal with that and the mental aspect we will see about playbooks and blocking.
Let a LB tackle him when he full stretched to catch a ball, that would be his welcome to NFL.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

getnasty

Reaction score
I like the signing. Vital out worked everyone on the basketball court and was a guy that did what was needed to help the team win. Who knows how it turns out but he'll definitely be a guy who gives it his all.