Seahawks schedule analysis (not a whine post)

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Looking over the Hawks schedule and doing some research, this is what I came up with:

First off, let me say that I'm not analyzing our opponents offensively. They'll be up against the LOB and if the most prolific offense in NFL history can only run up 8 pts., then who can score on us and who can't becomes moot. Either the LOB has a bad day or they hold the opponent to around 14-15. All I'm really concerned about is what kind of defense we're up against. That will determine if we win easily or if we have a tough defensive struggle in a low scoring game.

Game one vs GB: They had the second worst defense in the NFL last year, per DVOA. They sucked vs the rush AND the pass. No amount of offseason moves are going to suddenly vault them much higher than bottom 20. All they have going for them is a decent pass rush. Our pass rush is much improved over the Wail Mary game and it's in our house. This should be a win for the green and blue.

Game two vs SD: The only team with a worse ranked defense was SD. their offense is good, but that's the LOB they'll be facing. Our offense should get off to a pretty good start the first two games this season. Hawks win their second match.

Game three vs Denver: In our house? Are you kidding me? That game will be HUGE and the 12's will be screaming their heads off. Expect an electric atmosphere like no other. Hawks go 3-0 and people start talking about their offense almost as much as their defense.

Week five vs Washington: Seattle will have two weeks to prepare for this game. Washington will bring yet another bottom 20 defense from the previous year. I expect RG3 to have bounced back from injury, but we are a much better team than the one that beat them two years ago. And Seattle has the best record in MNF history. We get pumped for the national stage. Seattle starts the season 4-0 and our offense looks sharp. I still see us 12's worrying about pass pro, but it will SEEM a bit improved just for the fact that these first four contests face top 16 pass rushes, not top 5.

Week six vs Cowboys. Haha, hahahahaha! Dallas last year had the worst defense outside GB and SD. AND they had no pass rush. That will be our third game in our first five our offense goes up against the very bottom of the barrel defense. Seahawks start 5-0 baby!

Then come two tough road games.

Week seven vs Rams: On the road. 10AM start. Last years most vicious pass rush team. Expect another low scoring, knock down, drag out blood bath to the bitter end. I'm done guessing our record at this point.

Week eight vs Carolina: Another brutal defense, on the road, 10 AM. Another low scoring, knock down, drag out blood bath to the bitter end.

Week nine vs Da Raidahs: At home. Another weak defensive unit. Hawks can use this breather.

Week ten vs NYG: The Giants sucked last year, but they had a really good defense. Still, it's in our house for the second week in a row and if Little Peyton sucks bad in NY, he'll suck worse in Seattle. Hawk win.

At this point we can easily be 7-2 or better going into the brutal part of our schedule.

Week eleven vs KC. It's in KC. It's 10 AM. Those guys have a pass rush and a very good D. They were an over rated team last year that benefited from an easy schedule. I think we can handle these guys, but it will be closer than some might expect.

Week twelve vs Arizona: What can I say 12's? The only team to beat us in our house in a long time. This team finished really hot last season and it's probable that this game will be our most important game of the season when we go into it. Division title and wildcard implications. They've got a brutal pass rush, an elite D and this will be another bloody dog fight.

Week thirteen vs SF: Thanksgiving Day, on the road, on short rest, after a brutal game vs Arizona? THANKS NFL!!! I would love to beat them, but I have to say they must be considered the favorites under these conditions. It makes the previous weeks game all the more important.

Week fourteen vs Philly: So of course, our next game is a back to back road trip. Philly's defense was not their strong point. But that offense is the ONLY offense I am considering in this analysis and it's something we have yet to see the LOB face. So this could be something we won't see often this season: a high scoring game. Or we could blow them out. We'll see, but at this point of the schedule, it will be a critical game.

Week fifteen vs SF: two weeks later? Really? Pray to God we aren't missing a key player over this stretch. This will be THE biggest game of the season because we're likely having to make up for losing on TDay. But I have faith our Hawks are up to the task. SF's defense is waning, Gore is one year older.

Week sixteen vs Arizona: In their house. Which is sorta like in our house, but not quite. Another bloody dogfight with playoff implications.

Week seventeen vs Rams: Because what would life be like without our last home game against the Rams? Another tough matchup.

I know I skimped on the analysis towards the end, but really, we KNOW what we're facing in the NFC West and how every game will be tough.

So I see us starting out really strong. A very fast start. Then having to slugfest our way through the second half of the season. I think 7-2 to start is our worst case scenario vs all those weak to very weak defenses for the most part. 8-1 even 9-0 is possible, though Any Given Sunday makes that unlikely. Then 4-3 or 3-4 to finish it off in a brutal schedule to finish. Puts us anywhere from 10-6 worst case, to 13-3 once again.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Notice this is the 2nd year out of 3 that the NFL has screwed us over by sending us to SF on a Thursday Night. They did the same thing in 2012. It's getting old.

HawkHouse

Reaction score
Agreed.

I would like to be a fly on the wall when these schedules are created and why they choose who plays when ...

After week 12 it's pretty brutal ...

I like our chances though, I believe in our teams ability to handle it

mikeak

Reaction score
HawkFan72":3ppkld1j said:
Notice this is the 2nd year out of 3 that the NFL has screwed us over by sending us to SF on a Thursday Night. They did the same thing in 2012. It's getting old.

I thought SF had stated no TNF games year 1 in the new stadium. What happened?

Cad

Reaction score
mikeak":14cn9aeb said:
HawkFan72":14cn9aeb said:

$$$$$$

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Thanksgiving Day is a holiday for most, so roads should be less packed down in Whiner land.

seadoc30

Reaction score
The NFL wants the Whinners to win it badly this year.. they have given them such a favorable schedule. We are their biggest hurdle and the league is trying it's best to make it as tough as possible for us.

HawkWow

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":o7geh8hy said:
Looking over the Hawks schedule and doing some research, this is what I came up with:

First off, let me say that I'm not analyzing our opponents offensively. They'll be up against the LOB and if the most prolific offense in NFL history can only run up 8 pts., then who can score on us and who can't becomes moot. Either the LOB has a bad day or they hold the opponent to around 14-15. All I'm really concerned about is what kind of defense we're up against. That will determine if we win easily or if we have a tough defensive struggle in a low scoring game.

Game one vs GB: They had the second worst defense in the NFL last year, per DVOA. They sucked vs the rush AND the pass. No amount of offseason moves are going to suddenly vault them much higher than bottom 20. All they have going for them is a decent pass rush. Our pass rush is much improved over the Wail Mary game and it's in our house. This should be a win for the green and blue.

Game two vs SD: The only team with a worse ranked defense was SD. their offense is good, but that's the LOB they'll be facing. Our offense should get off to a pretty good start the first two games this season. Hawks win their second match.

Game three vs Denver: In our house? Are you kidding me? That game will be HUGE and the 12's will be screaming their heads off. Expect an electric atmosphere like no other. Hawks go 3-0 and people start talking about their offense almost as much as their defense.

Week five vs Washington: Seattle will have two weeks to prepare for this game. Washington will bring yet another bottom 20 defense from the previous year. I expect RG3 to have bounced back from injury, but we are a much better team than the one that beat them two years ago. And Seattle has the best record in MNF history. We get pumped for the national stage. Seattle starts the season 4-0 and our offense looks sharp. I still see us 12's worrying about pass pro, but it will SEEM a bit improved just for the fact that these first four contests face top 16 pass rushes, not top 5.

Week six vs Cowboys. Haha, hahahahaha! Dallas last year had the worst defense outside GB and SD. AND they had no pass rush. That will be our third game in our first five our offense goes up against the very bottom of the barrel defense. Seahawks start 5-0 baby!

Then come two tough road games.

Week seven vs Rams: On the road. 10AM start. Last years most vicious pass rush team. Expect another low scoring, knock down, drag out blood bath to the bitter end. I'm done guessing our record at this point.

Week eight vs Carolina: Another brutal defense, on the road, 10 AM. Another low scoring, knock down, drag out blood bath to the bitter end.

Week nine vs Da Raidahs: At home. Another weak defensive unit. Hawks can use this breather.

Week ten vs NYG: The Giants sucked last year, but they had a really good defense. Still, it's in our house for the second week in a row and if Little Peyton sucks bad in NY, he'll suck worse in Seattle. Hawk win.

At this point we can easily be 7-2 or better going into the brutal part of our schedule.

Week eleven vs KC. It's in KC. It's 10 AM. Those guys have a pass rush and a very good D. They were an over rated team last year that benefited from an easy schedule. I think we can handle these guys, but it will be closer than some might expect.

Week twelve vs Arizona: What can I say 12's? The only team to beat us in our house in a long time. This team finished really hot last season and it's probable that this game will be our most important game of the season when we go into it. Division title and wildcard implications. They've got a brutal pass rush, an elite D and this will be another bloody dog fight.

Week thirteen vs SF: Thanksgiving Day, on the road, on short rest, after a brutal game vs Arizona? THANKS NFL!!! I would love to beat them, but I have to say they must be considered the favorites under these conditions. It makes the previous weeks game all the more important.

Week fourteen vs Philly: So of course, our next game is a back to back road trip. Philly's defense was not their strong point. But that offense is the ONLY offense I am considering in this analysis and it's something we have yet to see the LOB face. So this could be something we won't see often this season: a high scoring game. Or we could blow them out. We'll see, but at this point of the schedule, it will be a critical game.

Week fifteen vs SF: two weeks later? Really? Pray to God we aren't missing a key player over this stretch. This will be THE biggest game of the season because we're likely having to make up for losing on TDay. But I have faith our Hawks are up to the task. SF's defense is waning, Gore is one year older.

Week sixteen vs Arizona: In their house. Which is sorta like in our house, but not quite. Another bloody dogfight with playoff implications.

Week seventeen vs Rams: Because what would life be like without our last home game against the Rams? Another tough matchup.

I know I skimped on the analysis towards the end, but really, we KNOW what we're facing in the NFC West and how every game will be tough.

So I see us starting out really strong. A very fast start. Then having to slugfest our way through the second half of the season. I think 7-2 to start is our worst case scenario vs all those weak to very weak defenses for the most part. 8-1 even 9-0 is possible, though Any Given Sunday makes that unlikely. Then 4-3 or 3-4 to finish it off in a brutal schedule to finish. Puts us anywhere from 10-6 worst case, to 13-3 once again.

Excellent points on the early Ds we face and I am hopeful that translates to a healthy O as we go into the teeth of our schedule. Cuz it's a bitch for sure. I am thinking the same wins and losses and also preparing to drop a road game to either Philly or KC (but not both). That last NFCW stretch could end up the stuff of NFL lore. It's going to be hateful. : )

HawkWow

Reaction score
seadoc30":3rvjzxv6 said:
The NFL wants the Whinners to win it badly this year.. they have given them such a favorable schedule. We are their biggest hurdle and the league is trying it's best to make it as tough as possible for us.

The Niners are one of the most hated teams in all of football. Ditto for their coach. A SB win for them will sell no jerseys etc anywhere else in the country and I can't get my head around the NFL fixing things so this team of misfits can sit atop the league and represent the brand.

"The NFL wants the Whinners to win it badly this year". Are you sure of this, Seadoc?

RiverDog

Reaction score
There are hundreds of factors that enter into creating a master NFL schedule. Teams such as ours have conflicts with baseball schedules. They want divisional matchups to occur late in the season. They can't put any one team in Prime Time more than 5 times a season. They have 3 games that are going to be held in London. It would be almost impossible for anyone to intentionally create a schedule that favors or disfavors one particular team.

I don't engage in the collective hand wringing about our schedule that always occurs this time of year. Last season, many were complaining about the 5 early starts, and we ended up going 4-1 in those starts. I also don't like to handicap strength of schedule until after Week 4. How many of us thought that road games to Atlanta and the Giants were going to end up being pushovers? There's just too many variables, like new acquisitions, departures, and injuries, that can have a dramatic effect on a team's performance. This isn't like college, where you know that teams like Alabama and Ohio State are always going to be good even in their down years. This is the NFL, where parity is king, and the margin between winning and losing can be razor thin.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Cad":2sp6u2bu said:
mikeak":2sp6u2bu said:
HawkFan72":2sp6u2bu said:

$$$$$$

I just heard on NFL Radio that the reason they couldn't schedule any Thursday or Monday games was because, right now, the only parking for their new stadium doubles as corporate parking during the week. However, since Thanksgiving is a holiday, they assume people won't be working.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
I don't think they want the Niners to win it all, I think they want to ensure our rivalry stays alive and they believe we are much better so they adjust the schedule to make it harder for us and easier for them. You can say it's just a big coincidence but there is to much coincidence to ignore IMO.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Good analysis Salish and your point about the defenses we're playing early is spot on. I also think it's very likely either the Lambs or Cards fall off some this year. My candidate is actually AZ. Carson Palmer is.....well, Carson Palmer. He's prone to throwing picks and they still have little run game. Yes, their defense is good but we shredded nearly the same D for 58 year before last and 30 something (34? too lazy to look it up LOL) last year in AZ. Their D will still be good but not what we saw week 16 at the C-Link last year IMO.

Threedee

Reaction score
I should add to the SD game that Rivers was frequently handicapped last season by bad game management from his OC through 3 quarters. After that, McCoy would turn him loose in the 4th where he would go beast and put up numbers. This happened in both losses against Denver. All we need to do is shut him down for 3 quarters at the line and then hand the game off to the LOB.

mikeak

Reaction score
Seanhawk":tbtn9w7l said:
Cad":tbtn9w7l said:
mikeak":tbtn9w7l said:
HawkFan72":tbtn9w7l said:

$$$$$$

I just heard on NFL Radio that the reason they couldn't schedule any Thursday or Monday games was because, right now, the only parking for their new stadium doubles as corporate parking during the week. However, since Thanksgiving is a holiday, they assume people won't be working.

Thanks didn't realize they got thanksgiving weekend. So 49ers were basically allowed to pick their home TNF game.... Awesome

blkhwk

Reaction score
It appears the 10 am demons were exercised last year, but still, the Ram and Panther games could be FOX national games and may be played at 4 est.

I try not to analyse the schedule too much with injuries etc. two years ago I would bet others had us circled as an automatic win.