Seahawks reportedly make huge contract offer to Russell

Status
Not open for further replies.

StoneCold

Reaction score
I don't see how they're making this statement.

2. It'd be challenging for RW to make up the money he'd miss out on.

If Wilson gets paid 1.5 million this year and then negotiations resume in 2016, he'll forfeit two things: a year of earning potential and immediate security.

You already know this, but androids such as the RW-2012-rd3 are designed to mimic human aging. It was in the manual and everything. It/He only gets 12-20 years in which to earn football money. Giving one of those prime labor years away for almost free means probably $20 million or so that has be made up over the life of his next deal.

Whatever you think of Mark Rodgers, that's a hell of a sum to recover in 2016, with most QB deals being about five years long, and with somewhere between 20 and 33 percent of a career already in the rear view mirror. (Emoji sadface.) To say nothing of interest and compound interest lost by delaying the signing bonus. Can waiting a year be worth it, financially, for RW? Maybe. But it's awful likely to be just a wash, which of course isn't really a wash, because...

If he plays this year for 1.5, gets franchised for 25mil next and then signs a 4 year deal worth 125mil (yes I pulled that number out of my ***, but it's not unreasonable after we win another SB ) that's a total of 151.5 mil over 6 years. If he signs a 4 year 88 mil deal this year that gives him 89.5 over the next 5 years. He would then have to sign a new contract that paid him at least 60 mil for year 6 to equal what he gets by not signing this year.

Their is risk of injury, but the numbers work out better for RW to wait.

SC

Hawks46

Reaction score
scutterhawk":30akjpd4 said:
Cyrus12":30akjpd4 said:
and apparently he has said no....which is just ridiculous if its true...
2000% more than his current "Ridiculous" salary.
He's worth the 22 + M that Rodgers is getting.
How many TD's has Rodgers RUSHED for in the last two Seasons? Proof is in the doing, not the stats.
We went from Peyton Manning being the best to ever play the game, to 'NO', scratch that, NOW it's Aaron Rodgers that is the best to ever play the game.
All Wilson did was produce when the Season progressed, and the games got tight...enough in fact, that IF Aaron Rodgers were indeed the best to ever play the game, and in the "ELITE" category? he would have been able edge out Wilson to win the NFCGG in January, and he couldn't do it.
The Defense is indeed responsible for keeping the all mighty AR from capitalizing for the victory (carry the team on his back for the win).......Like the Non-Elite Wilson and the Seahawks Special Teams did.
When the chips were down, Wilson did his share of coming from behind to HELP win the game......again.

None of that rally makes much sense. So, if Rodgers was that good, he'd have won the game ?

Let's try this theory: Rodgers must be a better QB than Wilson, as he had a better game against a better defense. Wilson played more poorly, and against a defense MUCH less talented than our defense.

That's apples to apples.

kearly

Reaction score
The ONLY reason for Wilson to sign now is security. But, he's got his 'mission from God' faith, he's got supreme self confidence, he's got an insurance policy, a rich girlfriend, and a few million already in the bank. And the knowledge that career ending injuries for QBs are rare occurrences. So when you actually spend a few seconds to think about it, the only reason for Wilson to sign now doesn't even really exist at all.

I'm to blame for spreading bad information about next years franchise tag number. It won't be $20 million, but rather it will be $25 million. This enormous increase over 2015 (36%!) is an unfortunate drawback to the backloaded nature of NFL deals, with several QBs seeing massive increases in their salary in 2016 as they hit their backloaded years.

So with WIlson looking at a $25 million tag in 2016, and a $30 million tag in 2017, why in the world would he accept a deal for $21 million AYP in new money? If $21 million ends up being the final offer by JS and Wilson refuses it as expected, then I have to give JS low marks for that decision. It will only cost him more the longer he waits. Make a generous offer now, or be forced to make a humungous offer in 2016. Or a ludicrous offer in 2017.

StoneCold

Reaction score
kearly":2tcv0mbg said:
The ONLY reason for Wilson to sign now is security. But, he's got his 'mission from God' faith, he's got supreme self confidence, he's got an insurance policy, a rich girlfriend, and a few million already in the bank. And the knowledge that career ending injuries for QBs are rare occurrences. So when you actually spend a few seconds to think about it, the only reason for Wilson to sign now doesn't even really exist at all.

I'm to blame for spreading bad information about next years franchise tag number. It won't be $20 million, but rather it will be $25 million. This enormous increase over 2015 (36%!) is an unfortunate drawback to the backloaded nature of NFL deals, with several QBs seeing massive increases in their salary in 2016 as they hit their backloaded years.

So with WIlson looking at a $25 million tag in 2016, and a $30 million tag in 2017, why in the world would he accept a deal for $21 million AYP in new money? If $21 million ends up being the final offer by JS and Wilson refuses it as expected, then I have to give JS low marks for that decision. It will only cost him more the longer he waits. Make a generous offer now, or be forced to make a humungous offer in 2016. Or a ludicrous offer in 2017.

Agree with what you've said, which makes me wonder if the team is fully prepared to move on from RW. They are the victims of his and our success over the last few years and the market is taking RW away.

SC

LymonHawk

Reaction score
Did none of you see the hit RW took from Mathews in the last Packer game? A hit like that could have ended his career! And if it were his knees instead of his head?

It's a dangerous, violent, game. Personally, I think he's nuts not to take 21 mil contract.

edogg23

Reaction score
LymonHawk":3ld7kf9n said:
Did none of you see the hit RW took from Mathews in the last Packer game? A hit like that could have ended his career! And if it were his knees instead of his head?

It's a dangerous, violent, game. Personally, I think he's nuts not to take 21 mil contract.

I was thinking the same thing. I think he is waiting to get the best and final from the seahawks before taking it. If he starts a preseason game without a new contract he is risking a lot to gain a little.

ptisme

Reaction score
Hawks46":38f3i5r1 said:
scutterhawk":38f3i5r1 said:
Cyrus12":38f3i5r1 said:
How many TD's has Rodgers RUSHED for in the last two Seasons? Proof is in the doing, not the stats.
We went from Peyton Manning being the best to ever play the game, to 'NO', scratch that, NOW it's Aaron Rodgers that is the best to ever play the game.
All Wilson did was produce when the Season progressed, and the games got tight...enough in fact, that IF Aaron Rodgers were indeed the best to ever play the game, and in the "ELITE" category? he would have been able edge out Wilson to win the NFCGG in January, and he couldn't do it.
The Defense is indeed responsible for keeping the all mighty AR from capitalizing for the victory (carry the team on his back for the win).......Like the Non-Elite Wilson and the Seahawks Special Teams did.
When the chips were down, Wilson did his share of coming from behind to HELP win the game......again.

None of that rally makes much sense. So, if Rodgers was that good, he'd have won the game ?

Let's try this theory: Rodgers must be a better QB than Wilson, as he had a better game against a better defense. Wilson played more poorly, and against a defense MUCH less talented than our defense.

That's apples to apples.
Apples to apples is what we're shooting for. Let's look at common opponents:
Dallas:
Wilson: 14 of 28 for 126 yds. 0 TD 1 INT and 1 rushing TD
Rodgers (the one legged playoff game): 24 of 35 for 316 yds. 3 TD 0 INT

Carolina
Wilson: 15 of 22 for 268 yds. 3 TD 0 INT
Rodgers: 19 of 22 for 255. 3TD 0 INT

Philly
Wilson: 22 of 37 for 263 yds. 2 TD 0 INT 1 rushing TD
Rodgers: 22 of 36 for 341 yds. 3 TD 0 INT

New England:
Wilson: 12 of 21 for 247 yds 2 TD 1 INT
Rodgers: 24 of 38 for 368 yds 2 TD 0 INT

StoneCold

Reaction score
ptisme":2w1sdhe4 said:
Hawks46":2w1sdhe4 said:
scutterhawk":2w1sdhe4 said:
Cyrus12":2w1sdhe4 said:

That's apples to apples.
Apples to apples is what we're shooting for. Let's look at common opponents:
Dallas:
Wilson: 14 of 28 for 126 yds. 0 TD 1 INT and 1 rushing TD
Rodgers (the one legged pl316/35
ayoff game): 24 of 35 for 316 yds. 3 TD 0 INT

Carolina
Wilson: 15 of 22 for 268 yds. 3 TD 0 INT
Rodgers: 19 of 22 for 255. 3TD 0 INT

Philly
Wilson: 22 of 37 for 263 yds. 2 TD 0 INT 1 rushing TD
Rodgers: 22 of 36 for 341 yds. 3 TD 0 INT

New England:
Wilson: 12 of 21 for 247 yds 2 TD 1 INT
Rodgers: 24 of 38 for 368 yds 2 TD 0 INT

Yards per attempt:
Dallas:
Wilson = 4.5
Rodgers = 9

Carolina:
Wilson = 12
Rodgers = 11.5

Philly:
Wilson = 7
Rodgers = 9.4

New England
Wilson = 11.7
Rodgers = 9.6

I'm going to guess if you add in Russell's rushing yards it's tilted towards RW.

Chomp. thanks for the apples.

SC

JimmyG

Reaction score
kearly":fpzjmpns said:

Exactly. I heard some reports that we were offering Wilson around $20M guaranteed. That seems awfully pedestrian when he could making $25M and $30M a season by getting franchised. (Not to mention that $20M guaranteed is insulting, considering Flacco got a $29M signing bonus and Cam Newton just signed a deal with $30M guaranteed. Yes, insulting. inb4 "I'm a blue collared worker making $40K a year, I wish I could get 'insulted' with a $20M contract.")

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Hawks46":22ck7zqx said:
scutterhawk":22ck7zqx said:
Cyrus12":22ck7zqx said:

That's apples to apples.
Except, as good as Rodgers is, he couldn't win., and even with Wilson being sacked 5 times...Did.

ptisme

Reaction score
[/quote]

Yards per attempt:
Dallas:
Wilson = 4.5
Rodgers = 9

Carolina:
Wilson = 12
Rodgers = 11.5

Philly:
Wilson = 7
Rodgers = 9.4

New England
Wilson = 11.7
Rodgers = 9.6

I'm going to guess if you add in Russell's rushing yards it's tilted towards RW.

SC[/quote]

That's right, Wilson has less attempts... Wonder how much that helps that he has the best running back in the league behind him?

chris98251

Reaction score

Yards per attempt:
Dallas:
Wilson = 4.5
Rodgers = 9

Carolina:
Wilson = 12
Rodgers = 11.5

Philly:
Wilson = 7
Rodgers = 9.4

New England
Wilson = 11.7
Rodgers = 9.6

SC[/quote]

That's right, Wilson has less attempts... Wonder how much that helps that he has the best running back in the league behind him?[/quote]

You say that, but I remember Packer fans telling us all about Eddie Lacey and how he was bigger faster and that he was going to run all over us.

ptisme

Reaction score
scutterhawk":3luhvl40 said:
Hawks46":3luhvl40 said:
scutterhawk":3luhvl40 said:
Cyrus12":3luhvl40 said:

That's apples to apples.
Except, as good as Rodgers is, he couldn't win., and even with Wilson being sacked 5 times...Did.
The discussion re Rodgers was: Who was better... When you say "he couldn't win" that's silly... There's 53 guys on a team.
Rodgers didn't:
1. Allow a fake field goal to go for six.
2. Take a knee on an interception with nothing but green in front of him.
3. Stand there and watch a 2 point conversion drop right in front of you.
4. Decide to jump in front of Jordy Nelson then fumble the onside kick away to the Seahawks.
5. Allow Jermaine Kearse to run right by you when there is no safety help for six....

It's still a team game even if the quarterback plays the biggest role in the outcome....

ptisme

Reaction score
chris98251":37axn1ma said:

Yards per attempt:
Dallas:
Wilson = 4.5
Rodgers = 9

Carolina:
Wilson = 12
Rodgers = 11.5

Philly:
Wilson = 7
Rodgers = 9.4

New England
Wilson = 11.7
Rodgers = 9.6

SC

That's right, Wilson has less attempts... Wonder how much that helps that he has the best running back in the league behind him?[/quote]

You say that, but I remember Packer fans telling us all about Eddie Lacey and how he was bigger faster and that he was going to run all over us.[/quote]

Except that in Rodger's best statistical year (2011) we had no running back/running game.....

Status
Not open for further replies.