Seahawks re-signing TE Will Dissly --3 year $24 million

Fade

Reaction score
I love Dissly, but this is a laughably bad overypay, unless he can be cut after 1 year with no cap consequences.

mistaowen

Reaction score
The only thing I can think of for why they'd throw that kind of money to a #2 TE, after acquiring Fant, is Waldron is going to actually force this offense to use tight ends. Just like the Rams do with their excellent 2 TE sets. And assume it's backloaded with incentives. Because he is not an 8 mil/year TE. TE tag is like 9 mil...

So this means Everett is gone, Colby Parkinson isn't the guy, and we have a lot of cash wrapped up in this position. Waldron better make that leap in year 2.

sutz

Reaction score
I think most fans tend to be 2-3 years behind on player value versus cap limits. :twisted:

OP
OP
Hawknight

Hawknight

Reaction score
https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/news/se ... ill-dissly

2020 Overview

There were tempered expectations for Dissly in 2020 coming off of a brutal Achilles injury midway through the 2019 season. In each of his first two seasons, he looked like he was going to put up Pro Bowl numbers. In 2018, before tearing his patella tendon, he played four games with 156 yards and two scores, a pace of 624 yards and eight touchdowns for a 16-game season. The next year, in six games before getting hurt again, he totaled 262 yards and four touchdowns, a 16-game pace of nearly 700 yards and seven scores.

In 2020, with three-time Pro Bowler Greg Olsen in the fold, his opportunities were limited to put up big numbers again. In his first two seasons in the league, he averaged 4.1 targets per game. In 2020, that plummeted to 1.8 targets per contest. That alone limited his chances at making a big impact. The former Washington Husky racked up 251 receiving yards with two touchdowns while playing in all 16 games this past fall.

Much of Dissly's production was hindered by the presence of the veteran Olsen and the breakout of DK Metcalf at receiver. There can only be so many targets per game and Dissly found himself falling down the food chain as other guys stepped up. He had more receiving yards than Olsen, who had a disappointing final season in the NFL (251 yards to 239) but the disparity came in the targets (37 for Olsen, 29 for Dissly). Dissly ranked seventh on the team in total targets and his numbers were nowhere near the trajectory they were on in his first two seasons.

massari

Reaction score
Hopefully this means he's going to get the targets he got in his first two seasons. If so, it'll be good value with his blocking.

iigakusei

Reaction score
That has to be a typo right? 3 Years $14 mil is what it should say.

flv

Reaction score
In 2021 he played 512 offensive snaps, (51.7%), and made just 21 receptions. Per snap it's top 10 starting LT money. If the team expects him to play 80%+ of snaps then it looks more sensible. Maybe he'll justify the contract, but it's hard to see him outplaying it.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
I don't think this means Parkinson is done. If Walrdon is going to use a lot more of the Rams 2 TE sets you want need depth. It would be silly to just have 2 guys and say "ok we're good"

flv

Reaction score
mistaowen":1gbk3clv said:
The only thing I can think of for why they'd throw that kind of money to a #2 TE, after acquiring Fant, is Waldron is going to actually force this offense to use tight ends. Just like the Rams do with their excellent 2 TE sets. And assume it's backloaded with incentives. Because he is not an 8 mil/year TE. TE tag is like 9 mil...

So this means Everett is gone, Colby Parkinson isn't the guy, and we have a lot of cash wrapped up in this position. Waldron better make that leap in year 2.
The Rams weren't 2 TE heavy when Waldron was there.
In 2021 Rams TEs had 1205 snaps on 1089 plays. Take out the jumbo 3 TE sets and it's maybe 9%. Using 2 TE sets has been a Plan B for the Rams when they have blocking issues or WRs needed a breather. The Rams had a lot of TE injuries in 2021 and moved Kupp around as a blocker. In 2021 the Seahawks TEs played 1371 snaps on 991 plays, which is way higher than anything the Rams have used in the last 5 years. If anything i'd expect Seahawks TE usage to go down.

Rat

Reaction score
Looks like $15.98 million is guaranteed, which makes it a little more defensible, but a surprise contract nonetheless. I'll be interested in what Pete and/or John have to say about it.

JGreen79

Reaction score
flv":a4ye6oyt said:
mistaowen":a4ye6oyt said:

The Rams weren't 2 TE heavy when Waldron was there.
In 2021 Rams TEs had 1205 snaps on 1089 plays. Take out the jumbo 3 TE sets and it's maybe 9%. Using 2 TE sets has been a Plan B for the Rams when they have blocking issues or WRs needed a breather. The Rams had a lot of TE injuries in 2021 and moved Kupp around as a blocker. In 2021 the Seahawks TEs played 1371 snaps on 991 plays, which is way higher than anything the Rams have used in the last 5 years. If anything i'd expect Seahawks TE usage to go down.

The Rams ran a 12 personnel the 4th most in the league (29% of the time) Waldron's last year there. In relation to what you posted, they used 12 personnel the 4th least in 2021 (12% of the time). They used 3 or more TE sets for one play all year in 2021.

Seattle was 6th most (26% and 28% respectively) both years.

Sharp Football Analysis

MagnificentSeven

Reaction score
Rat":3qdemhat said:
Looks like $15.98 million is guaranteed, which makes it a little more defensible, but a surprise contract nonetheless. I'll be interested in what Pete and/or John have to say about it.

I'm not against retaining Dissly, but this does seem steep. I mean, who else was going to offer the guy $16 million in guaranteed money? Was there really a line of other potential suitors in FA, or is this a case of Pete and John outbidding themselves to retain the services of a mid-tier TE?

Better question is, if Fant is as good as advertised, he'll probably get his fifth year option picked up next off-season, and will have a big pay day coming the year after that. Does anyone think Dissly will still be around if that happens?

Rat

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":17up2igc said:
Meh, this isn't some huge tragedy. Been a good day so far.

I guess this where I am now. Was this an overpay? Probably, but it seems unlikely that we'll be on the verge of signing a high-teir free agent and Schneider has to say "Damn, if only we hadnt re-upped Dissly!"

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
And this is football. Some deals seem fair and almost like a steal. Others are an overpay. This is league wide. Fortunately, the cap is going up big time the next several years.
I'm glad he's staying. And I'm sure we will hear he's overpaid about 7,233,223 times the next couple years.
So be it. Welcome back Uncle Will!

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Huge fan of Uncle Will. He has been bitten with the injury bug but my God I think he may just have the softest hands I've ever seen for a TE and he has NO problem blocking. I root early and often for him. Nice signing. Dark horse for sure.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
If Dissly got this kind of money, I cant imagine what they'll pay Penny.

This front office,,,,,LOL

Jville

Reaction score
Will Dissly is the only complete tight end on the roster. To my eyes the most physical of the tight ends. His on field presence doesn't telegraph run or pass. Leads by example. His rehab success was epic. He has a healthy off season to work with who ever ends up under center.

At this point in time, Uncle Well is their #1 tight end. Good signing. He's earned it.

Latest posts