Seahawks re-sign Tony McDaniel

King Dog

Reaction score
vin.couve12":2p1mbvjl said:
So it is him for sure? That's gotta be awkward. Sort of like Kam with the Cards RT at the time, who we also had for a camp.
Oh yeah. It was either him or Larsen, and Larsen's number is in the 60's - so it wasn't him.

brettb3

Reaction score
I think this is all about Siliga. Hill is battling Bryant/Jefferson for a spot. I'm also surprised to see anyone down on Rubin. He's the best 3 tech we've had in the Carroll era.

danp1990

Reaction score
As to why we kept McDaniels instead of a way better 3 tech in McDonald will always be a mystery to me! :/ . It wasn't even a money thing because we gave McDaniels the same amount McDonald got from Tampa. MISS MCDONALD!

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Entirely different roles.

McDonald was a guy who got 5.5 sacks one year with about 3 of those sacks playing contain. He made some plays here and there penetrating on run defense, but he was a serious liability on run defense 90% of the time. It's like the big time dunker or 3 point shooter in basketball that doesn't offer much of anything else.

McDonald was extremely overrated by Hawks fans. I still remember him playing 1 tech at 285 pounds being one of the worst 1 techs and DTs in general that I've ever seen in a Hawks uni. He was flashy on the 3-5% of plays when he got into the backfield and that's what people like....flashy. Same reason why dudes love hot chicks that burn your house down and take everything you have and still love the clinically insane broad.

peppersjap

Reaction score
vin.couve12":c44a42eh said:
I think he gave us 3 sacks a year so he's not the most backfield disruptive 3 tech, but I still remember this one because of what a mean arse move it was.

i6E7GF9LPSZRm.gif

On a side note, is that Sowell that he threw down like that?
I was at the game, it was one of the greatest sacks ever. I think he threw him 10 yds. I like bringing him in.

endzorn

Reaction score
I really like this move. McDaniel isn't flashy but he's rock solid as a 3 and we need someone the team can rely on to stuff the run.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
danp1990":1xsz0zqw said:
As to why we kept McDaniels instead of a way better 3 tech in McDonald will always be a mystery to me! :/ . It wasn't even a money thing because we gave McDaniels the same amount McDonald got from Tampa. MISS MCDONALD!

Uhm I think he prefers Mister. Just saying.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
saroos":1vt15uzo said:
I wonder if this is a Jordan Hill replacement more then anything

It's a 1T issue. Reed is our 1T. We don't have anyone behind him at all.

Siliga was supposed to be able to provide that.

Hill is a different kind of player. Can play 1T in a pass rush kind of way. Not suited to play in base. McDaniel is able to handle both better. Not ideal. But better.

It could still result in being a McDaniel for Hill replacement. By way of keeping Jefferson instead of Hill.

Right now though, it's about run defense. It's first on our list of things DTs have to be responsible for. And we weren't 2 deep in the group.

danp1990":1vt15uzo said:

Couple issues. McDonald got considerably more (including far more guarantees). He also got a 4 year deal (versus a 1 year for McDaniel). He also got a starting gig to go with it.

McDaniel actually was a replacement for Alan Branch who we lost in UFA that year. McDonald didn't factor in that. Oddly, we're adding McDaniel yet again for almost the exact same reason we did in 2013 (base run defense depth).

Overall, not a bad hedge at this stage of the game. Guessing if he doesn't impress though, we end up picking up a guy on cutdown day.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I previously exaggerated just a little about McDonald. I still think he's a horrible run defender with the exception of a handful of plays he made on run D, but having him would be completely redundant to Hill, Bryant, and Jefferson.

Obviously you'd like to have DTs that can just do everything, but that this stage in camp, we need a player who can hold up on base downs. McDaniel gives us 3 players that we think can get the job done. Granted, there are some other hopefuls on the roster, but nothing proven or maybe not a heavy investment.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
vin.couve12":1lslzt19 said:
I previously exaggerated just a little about McDonald. I still think he's a horrible run defender with the exception of a handful of plays he made on run D, but having him would be completely redundant to Hill, Bryant, and Jefferson.

Obviously you'd like to have DTs that can just do everything, but that this stage in camp, we need a player who can hold up on base downs. McDaniel gives us 3 players that we think can get the job done. Granted, there are some other hopefuls on the roster, but nothing proven or maybe not a heavy investment.
I like Bryant's upside way more than McDonald. Jefferson as well.

Sent from my SC-02H using Tapatalk

kearly

Reaction score
It's nothing against McDaniel or our draft picks, and maybe you will think this is unfair...

But to me, this roster feels like we signed Mebane back and then lost him to a season ending injury in TC. In other words, I don't feel AT ALL like the team has adequately replaced a guy who was a top five 1-tech in the NFL last season. I think Reed can be competent, but not disruptive. Mebane was disruptive and there is a big difference between the two. McDaniel and Siliga- i have replacement level expectations for them. If Rubin gets hurt, we are in a world of trouble.

I don't like our DT situation right now (in comparison to the previous few years). Hopefully the rest of the preseason will bring some optimism. Not expecting it though.

All that said, I'm glad to have McDaniel back. He's probably not a difference maker anymore, but he's still worth having as a safety net. And our DT group was in need of raising its floor.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
vin.couve12":2a4og03c said:
Entirely different roles.

McDonald was a guy who got 5.5 sacks one year with about 3 of those sacks playing contain. He made some plays here and there penetrating on run defense, but he was a serious liability on run defense 90% of the time. It's like the big time dunker or 3 point shooter in basketball that doesn't offer much of anything else.

McDonald was extremely overrated by Hawks fans. I still remember him playing 1 tech at 285 pounds being one of the worst 1 techs and DTs in general that I've ever seen in a Hawks uni. He was flashy on the 3-5% of plays when he got into the backfield and that's what people like....flashy. Same reason why dudes love hot chicks that burn your house down and take everything you have and still love the clinically insane broad.

Haha, like James Harden?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Adding McDaniel is a good move by the team. I think he's a better interior DT than Siliga who has unfortunately been unable to stay healthy and now looks to be unleikely to survive the cut downs. McDaniel knows what is expected from a DT in Pete's D and is a reliable addition although not flashy.

RW92

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1j711vpa said:
This is the guy we lost right?

We missed him.

Hell yes I want him back. DTs that can get pressure in the pocket? Yes please.

He doesn't need to be great, just better than what we had (not a Rubin fan at all, maybe he gets better this year).

Great news. Because I am completely unimpressed with the DL performance in game 1.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. Defensive pressure was abysmal. And we didn't get to the quarterback.

PS. I'm not a Rubin fan either. No push, too slow. Looks out of shape.

bighawk

Reaction score
McDaniel was a smart move but I think the team would be smart too keep Siliga because he is only 26 and 345 pounds. Hill is the one who is constantly hurt plus he is at the end of his contract. Hill is the ultimate tease he plays well but as sure as the sunshines he will get hurt. I am not giving up on Siliga.

Latest posts