Seahawks ranked #32 in plays per game... don't get OBJ...

Tokadub

Reaction score
We are somewhat of an outlier in plays per game in the entire NFL...

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/plays-per-game

There is no bigger gap between our 55.2 plays per game compared to the 2nd worst team in the league (Houstan) with 58.7 plays per game.

Odell Beckham Jr. may have provided us with a more consistent offense so we could run about 10 more plays a game like Detroit 64.5...

If that was the case Tyler Lockett and DK Metcalf would most likely still get the same amount of targets, our offense would just be better straight up.

A bit disappointing the Rams get Von Miller and OBJ while we do nothing... Both positions of need and we have more cap space than the Rams...

I'm curious to learn how much the Rams are going to pay him but we could of beat their bid for sure (they have no money!).

We have over 13 million cap space they have like 3...

If we miss the playoffs by 1 game which seems to be our trajectory if we don't beat Green Bay... I wouldn't blame Russell for wanting out. The team did not make the moves to give us a chance this season...

Edit:

We were averaging over 8 plays a game more with Schottenheimer who inexplicably got fired when we put up a bunch of franchise records on offense...

WE ARE AVERAGING MORE PLAYS PER GAME WITH GENO SMITH (LAST 3 GAMES) THAN WE WERE WITH RUSSELL WILSON!

We cannot blame this lack of production on Wilson's injury.

Basically our team is saying that Russell is good enough to carry our team to the playoffs even though approximately 90% of our roster isn't even ranked in the top 32 of their position according to PFF (for example I think Jamal Adams is ranked 52)... If I'm Russell I'd want out, they aren't helping him win this year.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Death, Taxes and you making yet ANOTHER negative post about the Hawks.

we get it already, the Hawks suck, everything sucks.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Russell is our best weapon.

Inexplicably they look to leverage him as little as possible.

This is one of the reasons that our defense looks better than it is on paper (ie stats).

But since our most effective piece is minimized, so is our success.

The goal is not to win. It is to keep things 'close'.

You get lucky a few times, and then people extrapolate that you would have done better if X or Y.

It is great if you rely on excuses for your success.

Jville

Reaction score
The OP post is about unhinged venting ....... :229031_shrug: ........... which leads to unhinged inferences.

Rat

Reaction score
How are we last in plays per game? Don't we use what is believe to be some kind of ball control offense?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Part of it is our style of offense.

Part of it is that being last in yards allowed, we allow long drives that chew clock - which limits our offensive chances.

We get less bites at the apple, by design.

It keeps games close.

Both the style of offense and the long drawn out drives by the defense work together.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The Hawk's did try to get OBJ, they put forward one of the most competitive offers to him.

But you know, the player is the one who actually decides where he wants to go when he's an unrestricted free agent..............and if you're OBJ, why on earth would you want to come to a 3-5 team that is almost a mirror image of the team you just forced your way off of, run first ball control?

You don't. You go to a passing offense that's 6-2 and primed to make a deep playoff run.

I honestly don't understand why posters are so enamoured with a diva WR that hasn't been good in two years, ESPECIALLY when it's not a position of need.

O-lineman? DB? Pass rusher? Sure, I'd get the anger. But OBJ? Nah, not worth our disgust.

Rat

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":84icmslk said:

Part of it is that being last in yards allowed, we allow long drives that chew clock - which limits our offensive chances.

It keeps games close.

Both the style of offense and the long drawn out drives by the defense work together.

That makes sense. The past few weeks made me forget how awful our defense has been this season.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":8r2s3zhp said:
The Hawk's did try to get OBJ, they put forward one of the most competitive offers to him.

But you know, the player is the one who actually decides where he wants to go when he's an unrestricted free agent..............and if you're OBJ, why on earth would you want to come to a 3-5 team that is almost a mirror image of the team you just forced your way off of, run first ball control?

You don't. You go to a passing offense that's 6-2 and primed to make a deep playoff run.

I honestly don't understand why posters are so enamoured with a diva WR that hasn't been good in two years, ESPECIALLY when it's not a position of need.

O-lineman? DB? Pass rusher? Sure, I'd get the anger. But OBJ? Nah, not worth our disgust.

^^THIS^^
Much silly Drama.

John63

Reaction score
Rat":1ti02imw said:
TwistedHusky":1ti02imw said:

It keeps games close.

That makes sense. The past few weeks made me forget how awful our defense has been this season.

yes, and if you look at the last 3 games 2 were against really bad offenses so of course, we look better. and the 3rd against a middle offense.

Chapow

Reaction score
Rat":20e5j1fr said:
TwistedHusky":20e5j1fr said:

It keeps games close.

We are tied with Pittsburgh for 8th best defense in the league by points per game.

And lets not pretend like the Seahawks are the only team in the league that has played against bad teams. Every team does. Buffalo has the number 1 defense in the league by points per game, but I guess their defense actually sucks because they've played Miami twice, Jacksonville, Houston, and Washington? Is that how this works?

edogg23

Reaction score
I have a different take on this. It is actually our Defense that is the biggest culprit. They play a style of being super conservative and give up LONG time of possession killing drives almost on purpose it seems. Basically our soft don’t give up a big play D keeps our own offense off the field.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Defense is pretty bad at times. But they gave up all of 13 points against the Saints.
They lost that game because of double clutch Geno and ridiculous play calling on offense.

Rat

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":371xne22 said:
Defense is pretty bad at times. But they gave up all of 13 points against the Saints.
They lost that game because of double clutch Geno and ridiculous play calling on offense.

Not saying we havnt been better on D lately, but the weather in the Saints game makes me hesitant to take much from it. Still encouraged overall though.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
True. Seems similar to last season, a little better on defense, giving up less points right about mid season.

LTH

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3042pmik said:

I agree...

I think the Hawks don't really need him ... what they need to do is use the weapons they have more effectively...

When this O is rolling there isn't a team in the league that can defend them... they just need to find some continuity and some consistency... This is coming in the 2nd half of the season...

Ill tell ya the first half of the season was full of adversity... they over came that and they are going to roll now...

LTH

Rat

Reaction score
I agree we didn't "need" ODB, and I still see the offense as decently above-average regardless, but it's not like there was a player with his kind of ability at a more needy position. It really could have shorn up a strength and made the offense scary down the stretch.

I'm happy we at least tried, although I would have been tempted to call his bluff and claim him. I feel like that cap money is just going to be wasted otherwise. Oh well, a big part of playoff success (if we can even get there) is simply who is healthiest in January. Maybe we'll be fortunate on that front.

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
The lack of plays per game is directly related to their 3rd down conversion rate. Currently #31 in the league at 31%…

Obviously if they converted at even a league average their plays per game would be substantially higher regardless of how the Defense played.

John63

Reaction score
Flyingsquad23":20tp8oj5 said:
The lack of plays per game is directly related to their 3rd down conversion rate. Currently #31 in the league at 31%…

Obviously if they converted at even a league average their plays per game would be substantially higher regardless of how the Defense played.

More the fact that they are top 10 in 3rd and long.