Seahawks Presser at 11am Wed-Sherm's extension signed!

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2sqrxquc said:
MadSweeney":2sqrxquc said:
I don't think with the new CBA that they can touch the final year of these contracts.

I believe Kam had the last year of his previous deal re-done when he signed his extension, so that's not true.

Kam was drafted in 2010 under the old CBA, Sherman was drafted in 2011 under the new CBA, which does prohibit teams from amending the last year of the rookie contract.

Great day and great offseason for the Seahawks! Locking up three key contributors in long-term deals? Can't get much better than that. Now start planning what you're going to pay Wilson next year....

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":93q1cm0p said:
Several things stuck out while I was watching the presser.

1) The atmosphere here in Seattle - the fans, the coaching staff, the fellow players, the competitive environment - played a rather large role in Richard Sherman wanting to stay a Seahawk. It was very obvious the whole time that he gave tremendous value to it. John Schneider's remarks when talking about how they considered "breaking from their strategy" and getting some other big name players to sign here also spoke to that some. The environment here is very special right now, and it is going a long way toward keeping us competitive in the league.

2) They really didn't want to talk about the details of the contract, and in fact pushed that question off, saying they'd address it sometime later, which might indicate it's a little more unique than we're used to seeing. To me, that might signal a bit more money up front, or a deal that is cap friendlier than we're used to seeing. Someone with more knowledge on salaries and cap space and what money counts and doesn't count could address this better than I, but it sure sounds like they set it up to be team-friendly well into the future. This is very good for us.

3) Sherman was treated very similarly to how Wilson was in the draft. He was rated much higher by the front office, but they waited until the fifth round because they were fairly certain he'd fall that far. I get the feeling he wasn't as much of a known entity then, and so they weren't as obviously worried about not getting him as they were about Wilson, but it was much the same situation. And I get the feeling a lot of guys are every year for them. It's just how they do the draft.

4) The front office's strategy for creating and maintaining a championship caliber team is a plan they're sticking to very tightly. All of these major contracts were well anticipated, and were well a part of this plan for quite some time. That tells us that when Wilson is due his fat payday next year, it'll happen about the same way. They have the core in place right now to compete indefinitely, and that is simply amazing as a Seahawks fan.

5) The Legion of Boom between '12 and '18 is poised to become one of the greatest, most legendary units in football. The major components are young, healthy, and signed long term. Better still, they love it here, and their "always compete" mantra shows no signs of letting up. Quite astounding, if you think about it, to consider that 40 or 50 years from now, the Legion of Boom will be part of NFL lore as one of the all-time greats ever to take the field.

Man, it's good to be a Twelve!
AWESOME post Sailor. It's so very, very good to be a Hawks fan right now.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":2abqj4gw said:
Several things stuck out while I was watching the presser.

1) The atmosphere here in Seattle - the fans, the coaching staff, the fellow players, the competitive environment - played a rather large role in Richard Sherman wanting to stay a Seahawk. It was very obvious the whole time that he gave tremendous value to it. John Schneider's remarks when talking about how they considered "breaking from their strategy" and getting some other big name players to sign here also spoke to that some. The environment here is very special right now, and it is going a long way toward keeping us competitive in the league.

2) They really didn't want to talk about the details of the contract, and in fact pushed that question off, saying they'd address it sometime later, which might indicate it's a little more unique than we're used to seeing. To me, that might signal a bit more money up front, or a deal that is cap friendlier than we're used to seeing. Someone with more knowledge on salaries and cap space and what money counts and doesn't count could address this better than I, but it sure sounds like they set it up to be team-friendly well into the future. This is very good for us.

3) Sherman was treated very similarly to how Wilson was in the draft. He was rated much higher by the front office, but they waited until the fifth round because they were fairly certain he'd fall that far. I get the feeling he wasn't as much of a known entity then, and so they weren't as obviously worried about not getting him as they were about Wilson, but it was much the same situation. And I get the feeling a lot of guys are every year for them. It's just how they do the draft.

4) The front office's strategy for creating and maintaining a championship caliber team is a plan they're sticking to very tightly. All of these major contracts were well anticipated, and were well a part of this plan for quite some time. That tells us that when Wilson is due his fat payday next year, it'll happen about the same way. They have the core in place right now to compete indefinitely, and that is simply amazing as a Seahawks fan.

5) The Legion of Boom between '12 and '18 is poised to become one of the greatest, most legendary units in football. The major components are young, healthy, and signed long term. Better still, they love it here, and their "always compete" mantra shows no signs of letting up. Quite astounding, if you think about it, to consider that 40 or 50 years from now, the Legion of Boom will be part of NFL lore as one of the all-time greats ever to take the field.

Man, it's good to be a Twelve!
Well that about sums it up. :th2thumbs:

chris98251

Reaction score
And the rest of the league is in........................

Sp6GB2fl Xkl4L5T1w7FtFxgDMj1RWkLa V9aXfg2i ElmnkvR

The 49ers are.................

Hi res 155717571 crop exact

Gratz LOB and Richard Sherman!!!

HansGruber

Reaction score
I was just high-fived by one of my patients, a young man with severe autism who can't stand being touched. He was listening to the presser on his iPod, jumped up, yelled that we just signed Sherman and gave me an authentic old-school Seattle high fivin white guy jump followed by repeated fist "daps."

I think his mother was more alarmed by my shared enthusiasm than her son's uncharacteristic outburst.

It's so freaking good to be a Seahawks fan right now. So GOOD!!!

Hawks46

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3f0cf3pb said:
McGruff":3f0cf3pb said:
Hasselbeck":3f0cf3pb said:
Now how many of you feel like this offseason was a dud? They made cap friendly offers in FA to some veteran pieces.. who didn't bite for the most part.. but were able to lock up the best safety and corner in the game all while having more than enough cap room next year to lock up Russ, Wagner, etc.

Wagner? Nope. Wags is gone after his rookie deal. Same for Wright, Smith and probably Irvin as well.

Wags isn't going anywhere IMO. I can see us keeping Malcolm since he figures to be cheaper unless he explodes this year.. then they will fill the rest with the draft/UDFA

To be honest, I think Wright is our most valuable LBer. There's a difference when he's out, especially in the run game. The biggest factor to me is that Wright can play on the outside and just erase TE's, yet he can slide inside and play MLB and we really don't see any difference than with Wagner in there.

Don't get me wrong, I really like Wagner a LOT. I think he hasn't hit his ceiling yet. But I'm not sure if it's just the defense around him, but even though he's a great player, he doesn't seem to make a huge impact. Smith is great sideline to sideline and is always in the right place (instincts can't really be taught), but he gets washed out in the OL scrum too easily and sometimes overplays the run as a result.

I think Irvin has the highest ceiling, but it's also going to take a bit to get there. As long as Wilson doesn't end up with 22 mil/year, we can most likely afford at least Wagner or Wright, maybe both.

As for Sherm's deal....I like it. The guaranteed money doesn't bother me....if you're willing to pay for a guy, you're going to pay it anyways and 11 something mil per year is a friendly contract for the team.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
HawksSoc":3qzkm7ox said:
Get home from college after finishing up classes for my Masters Degree and am greeted by this? Dam its a good day.

Did you graduate or just finish year 1? I'm getting my masters in the Fall, congrats.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":34r7k96z said:
I still doubt it.
I also doubt that in his efforts to terra-fornicate he is getting as close to China as he tries to indicate.

Also a bit strange that Ro talked up his own body part, but said Sac would be doing the drilling. According to the pronoun I read, anyway.

Dr. Freud to the white courtesy phone.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Scottemojo":10y1owj4 said:
SacHawk2.0":10y1owj4 said:
I still doubt it.
I also doubt that in his efforts to terra-fornicate he is getting as close to China as he tries to indicate.

Also a bit strange that Ro talked up his own body part, but said Sac would be doing the drilling. According to the pronoun I read, anyway.

Dr. Freud to the white courtesy phone.
Well, it's a good thing you're not projecting your own preferred interpretation into the situation, or anything.

;)

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
HansGruber":1yobndyd said:
I was just high-fived by one of my patients, a young man with severe autism who can't stand being touched. He was listening to the presser on his iPod, jumped up, yelled that we just signed Sherman and gave me an authentic old-school Seattle high fivin white guy jump followed by repeated fist "daps."

I think his mother was more alarmed by my shared enthusiasm than her son's uncharacteristic outburst.

It's so freaking good to be a Seahawks fan right now. So GOOD!!!

The power of rooting for a team is astonishing in how it brings people together sometimes. That is a GREAT story! Thanks for posting it!